Alpine lakes, WA high buck partner(s)

Alexl8691

FNG
Well I decided I'm going to be crazy this year and try a high buck hunt. In the rare event it is successful it would be awesome to have someone else to share the pack out with. I've hunted out west twice base camp style at a trailhead and hike in so backpack in and camp will be new to me, but I did spend 6 yrs with the army so hiking in and living with minimal isn't a worry. Really don't want to have to do it by myself though so any one that wants a partner shoot me a message we don't have to sit and glass together by any means just share the load would be cool, plus I'm still a novice when it comes to western hunting so extra knowledge is always awesome.

Bachto

WKR
Where are you coming from? and why did you choose Washington as your place to do a western hunt? I didn't do the early high buck hunt this year but I hunted and killed a buck in a different area to where you are going that is open during the high buck season I just hunted it during the general season. I can't do the early high buck hunt (I will be in Idaho or Montana chasing elk) but might be able to offer some advice.

OP
Alexl8691

Alexl8691

FNG
Coming from Wisconsin, i picked washington because of the discounted DAV Tags, idaho offers them as well and thats where I've gone before but they put a cap on them this year and I didn't get any. Hard to pass on a non resident tag out west when its a fraction of the normal cost

I would be interested if I was not PCSing from WA to Ft Campbell in about a month. Definitely a lot of good information out there on this forum and others on all of the WA high buck areas. Use it to your advantage. I grew up in WA and have hunted it most of my life and it has gotten busier with each year. But that is pretty much with everything. Feel free to reach out to me if you have questions. I have hunted the area you are looking at as well as 3 others for the high hunt. Good luck!

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Well I decided I'm going to be crazy this year and try a high buck hunt. In the rare event it is successful it would be awesome to have someone else to share the pack out with. I've hunted out west twice base camp style at a trailhead and hike in so backpack in and camp will be new to me, but I did spend 6 yrs with the army so hiking in and living with minimal isn't a worry. Really don't want to have to do it by myself though so any one that wants a partner shoot me a message we don't have to sit and glass together by any means just share the load would be cool, plus I'm still a novice when it comes to western hunting so extra knowledge is always awesome.
I'm in that general area quite a bit during Sept./Oct. Don't usually hunt with other people but would be more then willing to help you out if you get a critter down or answer any questions you have before heading in.

There was a post a couple years ago you can probably search where a few of us gave a bunch of input.

If you have any expectations of an Idaho caliber hunt, then you need to lower your expectations drastically. It's an extremely tough hunt, low animal density/numbers, and a lot of guys. Great scenery, but don't expect success without a tremendous amount of effort and some luck. Lotta bear up there.

I would also strongly suggest not holding out for a good buck on this hunt, I've always told guys anything legal is a trophy on High Buck, especially in Alpine.

As Bachto & Jordan said, General Season is significantly better than High Buck.

OP
Alexl8691

Alexl8691

FNG
There was a post a couple years ago you can probably search where a few of us gave a bunch of input.

If you have any expectations of an Idaho caliber hunt, then you need to lower your expectations drastically. It's an extremely tough hunt, low animal density/numbers, and a lot of guys. Great scenery, but don't expect success without a tremendous amount of effort and some luck. Lotta bear up there.

I would also strongly suggest not holding out for a good buck on this hunt, I've always told guys anything legal is a trophy on High Buck, especially in Alpine.

As Bachto & Jordan said, General Season is significantly better than High Buck.
I know its likely to be a camping trip while carrying a gun, and am very on board for any legal buck and planned on carrying a bear tag in my pocket as well. My big reason for the high buck hunt is I wanted to do rifle this year vs bow and general season rifle starts pushing into my bowhunting at home. I've been scouring a lot of different forums picking info as I go