Alpineair Meals vs. Mountainhouse

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
How would anyone rate the alpineair meals to mountain house? I can get a deal on them but need to order in cases of 12.

Are there any flavors in particular that are better then others?

I've not tried all of their offerings, but I haven't had one that I really disliked.

In general, I really like the ones with rice such as their burrito bowls. I also really like the masa with beef.

For me, Alpine Aire and Backpacker's Pantry are much more enjoyable than most of what I've had from Mountain House.

Poser

WKR
I enjoy quite a few of the Alpine Aire meals:

Street Tacos
Pad Thai
Mexican style beef and Masa

Are a couple that comes to mind. They seem to be getting better and more dialed in each year.

TL44

FNG
I've been wondering the same thing... Tough to commit to buying something that is hard to eat when out in the field. Glad to hear it's another good option.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
The rice, chicken and sweet potato option is great. I've struggled to find it locally, not sure they still make it

Mcnasty

FNG
I enjoy quite a few of the Alpine Aire meals:

Street Tacos
Pad Thai
Mexican style beef and Masa

Are a couple that comes to mind. They seem to be getting better and more dialed in each year.
My opinion for what its worth.... everyone's taste is different.
Pad Tie ;( Maybe I had a bad one but it was really bad IMO
Mexican style beef and Masa :)
Beef Stroking off :)
Classic spaghetti with meat sauce :)
Chilli Mac with Beef :) :)
I don't usually buy breakfast since there are way cheaper options to DYI, but if you are getting them in bulk on a good deal I really like the breakfast skillet.
Also the granola with blueberries its really sweet which is sometime a nice thing.
From Alpine Aire I like
Mountain Chili
Forever young Mac and Cheese
Almost all of these are good if you add crushed ramen and or instant potatoes to them for a bit more calories. Canned or packaged tuna thrown in is also a good addition.

Zaccav505

FNG
To me, Mountain House is so much better quality that it isn't even a choice now. I like most of Alpine Aire's stuff and it is all edible, but never seems to cook up as well as mountain house, especially at altitude. it always seems both watery, and too dry at the same time. I don't know if I have just been getting old stock or if that is representative of the brand as a whole though

Huling

FNG
Spicy Sausage Pasta from Alpine Aire is one of my all time favorites. Add a cheese stick to the mix and you've got a gourmet backcountry meal.