Alps Commander Z vs SJ Bounty 2.0

Zhewitt04

FNG
Pretty straight forward what pack out of the Alps Commander Z and the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 is better in your opinion. The pack is for is a 3 to 4 day hunt on Idaho. Mule deer hunt backpacking in and out. Carrying in everything. I am wanting to keep my budget down in the $300 or lower range.

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I have no first hand experience with either pack, although I have the SJK a hard look a while back and thought it would be a good option.

Anyway, if your budget is around 300, look in the classifieds. You can often find kuiu, mystery ranch, etc. in that price range, and those are some good packs as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

khel

FNG
I would look for Mystery Ranch sales. (unless you are in a big hurry to get one) They happen all the time. I'm sure you'll find one before the end of the summer. Keep checking Camofire, and rokslide Gear Deals subforum

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
You may also want to check out the horn hunter full curl system. There is one posted for your price range and is very comparable to both the sjk and alps.

Honestly, you should try on the pavks and see which one fits best and carriers weighf best for your frame. If you can't do that, try to find a used pack because if it doesn't work out, you can sell it for about what you paid for it and only ve out shipping instead of taking a big loss and selling a nearly new pack for half price.

There is a good review on here about the original sjk biunty and I believe sjk fixed all the issues with their original version. The alps commander x looks much improved over their older version as well, but looks to be over 10 lbs with just the frame and pack, which is nearly double that if the sjk. Just something to think about depending on how much gear you plan on hiking in and out.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zhewitt04

FNG
Thanks. I will look for sales and used deals on the classifieds section. Thanks for the help, didnt realize Mystery ranch has a bunch of sales.

sargent

WKR
I have had the original SJK Bounty for about four years. I upgraded to a Stone Glacier pack last fall, but the SJK was a good pack for the price. I hauled quite a few animals out with it and did a bunch of hunting and backpacking with it. I don't have any experience with the alps pack, but I can hardly believe it would be worth the 5 pound weight difference.

Usmcff

WKR
If you’re military or veteran, you can get significant deals on slumberjacks and alps packs. I think close to half off through expertvoice and guidefitter. Just a heads up.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re military or veteran, you can get significant deals on slumberjacks and alps packs. I think close to half off through expertvoice and guidefitter. Just a heads up.
I have an Alps Mountaineering pack for summer camping and hiking. It’s good for what it is and I really like it. The Commander Z looks like a more durable version of my exact bag with meat hauling capabilities so I was going to buy that. Then I found Guidefitter for a little bit more money I ended up with a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. I think for the discounts that it’s almost impossible to pass up that upgrade.

Usmcff

WKR
I have an Alps Mountaineering pack for summer camping and hiking. It’s good for what it is and I really like it. The Commander Z looks like a more durable version of my exact bag with meat hauling capabilities so I was going to buy that. Then I found Guidefitter for a little bit more money I ended up with a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. I think for the discounts that it’s almost impossible to pass up that upgrade.
That’s the boat I was in, I started looking and realized mystery ranch was cheap on guidefitter and expertvoice and was going to get the metcalf but it was sold out in my size in all styles and I emailed asking when they’d be back in stock and they told me mid to late August was when they expected so I ended up buying a used eberlestock jp9 black widow for a good price. Will get a MR at some point.

I used the SJK and it was no bueno, very uncomfortable, and super annoying to have to uncinch to get into

If you can stretch your budget a little you can get a MR sawtooth for $337 at blackovis right now, that's 25% off

OP
Z

Zhewitt04

FNG
I ended up buying a mystery ranch marshal for $300. Seemed like a good deal.

I have the Bounty 2.0. I had the original Bounty and had issues with some odd wear on the belt. I contacted Slumberjack and the sent me the 2.0. Really no complaints but I did not pay full price and have no experience with some of the higher end packs. I really like the looks of the Beartooth from mystery ranch. Maybe someday.

My dad used an Alps Commander Z last year on a pack in Mule Deer hunt. It was certainly affordable and yes it did the job but left some to be desired in about all categories. If you do wind up with that one definitely get a rain fly for it.
I used a Tenzing TZ 6000 and for that price it was a very good value. Packed loads well, full of features, quiet, a tad heavy, meat shelf etc. Its also right there at $300. That being said I'm looking at upgrading for this season so you may see mine in the classifieds soon!

Jae7675

FNG
i own both. If your set on the two then the SJK is far better. I have passed them to my daughters. Now i rum MR.

DrewPNW

FNG
Great feedback in this thread.

I was also looking at the Bounty 2.0 (although I can't find them available right now) and the Horn Hunter Full Curl system. Any thoughts between those two? They look very similar in that out of the box you can mount a rifle, they have both a large pack and day pack, hauling system, etc. I have the Horn Hunter bino harness and love it.

Thanks!