ALPS mountaineering Red Creek any good

TauPhi111

WKR
Can anyone say if this sleeping bag is any good? I'm still needed a good bag for my late season elk trip this year, and amazon has the 15 degree version for less than $100. About 3.5 lbs which isn't light weight but not terrible

No experience with that one. I've been generally impressed with other Alps stuff for the price. That said, you might want to compare the Marmot Trestles 15 degree bag ($105 on Amazon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
No experience with that one. I've been generally impressed with other Alps stuff for the price. That said, you might want to compare the Marmot Trestles 15 degree bag ($105 on Amazon).

Is considered a fairly reliable brand or better brand in comparison with Mountain Hardware and similar stuff?

I'd say Marmot is closer to MH than to Alps. Not to bash Alps but everything else being equal I'd pick Marmot over Alps. Haven't used that specific bag, but I had been looking at those not too long ago and thought I'd point out another option...

ID_Matt

WKR
I wouldn't think the brand is comparable to MR or Marmot. I think their stuff is designed to be more affordable, but still decent quality. I bought a sleeping bag like the one you mentioned last year for a late hunt. Seemed to work just fine. Zippers might have been a hair cheap but it was definitely worth the $80 or whatever I paid for it. I can see someone easily getting a couple years use out of it. I would think that sleeping bag would work fine if you are OK with lugging around an extra pound or so.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience with that bag.
For your budget I would recommend considering this bag. Tuck 20 / EN 22 ThermaPro Sleeping Bag | Kelty. I've had it for three years and zero complaints. It's only rated for 22 but that's an "en" rated temperature. Don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'2" and fit fine in the regular length.

Alps makes good stuff for the money but I'd say they compete more with eureka, kelty, not marmot or mh.