Alps Mountaineering Tent Tasmanian 2

I am looking to get this tent for a caribou hunt up on the North Slope. I am by no means a professional backpacker and may only use this tent for this hunt and a few others like it. Weight restrictions are a concern but this one falls in line with the amount of weight I can take. My question is, will it hold up to the elements in an August hunt up on the North Slope? Is any one familiar with this tent or brand?

Thanks

hikenhunt

WKR
Speaking to the brand, I have an ALPS Zephyr 3 and its been a great tent. Fitting 2 guys in there works fine, but I wouldn't want to try 2 in the Zephyr 2. I'm sure the same applies to the Tasmanian. If you are planning on sharing it, I would opt for the 3 man.

I have that exact tent (and an Alps Mystique 1.0). Both have served me well for years of archery elk hunting in the Rockies and other camping trips in the west/southwest, but they are budget tents and I personally wouldn't rely on an Alps for a North Slope hunt. Ability to endure high winds would be my main concern. Alps advertises the Tasmanian as a 4-season tent, but I think that's a stretch. The Tasmanian 2 also isn't super light at 7.5-ish pounds. I'd be looking elsewhere for a North Slope tent.

I have had an ALPS zephyr 2 for about 10-12 years now. It's still going strong and I would use it in nearly the worst conditions if weight were not a concern. I would probably limit it to 12" of heavy snow if you're not going to wake up to knock snow off and depending on orientation to wind, it will handle 40mph gusts

Gila

WKR
I have an ALPS Extreme tent. The last time I used it was the night before the elk opener. Blowing sleet sideways and in the low 20s. The tent did it’s job and kept the weather out. I have a two person which is really just big enough for one person with all the gear and since it has two vestibules. I think the Tasmanian might be be a good buy. I have no problem with the quality of the tent.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have had an ALPS zephyr 2 for about 10-12 years now. It's still going strong and I would use it in nearly the worst conditions if weight were not a concern. I would probably limit it to 12" of heavy snow if you're not going to wake up to knock snow off and depending on orientation to wind, it will handle 40mph gusts
Have you had 12" of snow on your Zephyr? I haven't, but mine seemed to have quite a bit of sag with about 1" of wet snow. Maybe I'll have to set it up next time we get a good snow to see how it does.

Have you had 12" of snow on your Zephyr? I haven't, but mine seemed to have quite a bit of sag with about 1" of wet snow. Maybe I'll have to set it up next time we get a good snow to see how it does.

I had 8" and it was sagging a lot, but held. I was guestimating on 12".