Alps Outdoorz Packs

Rob5589

WKR
My first real "hunting pack" was the Traverse (original). Decently comfortable, carried decent (never hauled meat), roomy. The hip belt has a generic plastic buckle which is a pain to get tight enough. Some of the other straps will loosen with movement while wearing it. My daughter uses it now.
My buddy has the newer version and last season he complained about it all the time and was always fiddling with the straps and buckles. But to be fair, he was not putting it on correctly.

OP
switchback7
I have owned a couple, and they aren't terrible. but I am looking at Kifaru or MR.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have the extreme x hybrid. Ok day pack a bit small for a three day pack unless you use the overload. Up here in Canada they can be had for 320$ vs 8-1200$ for Mr, kifaru packs...my budget required me to cheap out lol. Haven't packed meat yet but have loaded the shelf to 80# and had no issues. My Elk hunting is done in low mountain ranges so I haven't used it for long up/ down hill humps but it's comfortable even underload and it's solid. Quite a bit heavier than the top tier brands but at a third the price it's a great deal IMO. The other budget pack I have lots of experience with is the full curl HH. Also a great choice. I run the system as my full 5-10 day pack. It carries weight like a champ and is quite bullet proof.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Not the pack but the little bear strapped fanny pack. It held up through a beating, great price, decent features/add ons.
I know your not asking about little day packs but if that was indicative of them as a brand; good quality, good price= great value

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
switchback7
Not the pack but the little bear strapped fanny pack. It held up through a beating, great price, decent features/add ons.
I know your not asking about little day packs but if that was indicative of them as a brand; good quality, good price= great value

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I actually have the Little Bear pack and love it for turkey hunting haha and I have the Traverse X but looking at other options.

G44

FNG
I have the Commander Xtreme. Really like it, but I’ve also never had a top end pack. I have carried a lot of weight with it and it’s comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleR1985

WKR
If you have to ask, I would imagine the difference in Alpz and high end packs won’t be useful to you. I own two alpz packs and have used several others. I wouldn’t take mine or any of the others I’ve seen deep in backcountry with intention of packing a piece of an animal more than a mile or two. If you’re whitetail hunting short distances, or not packing animals out, they’ll be fine.

and odds are, they will be fine for more extreme hunts. Until they aren’t. And when it happens, if you were to pass a fellow on the trail with a properly fitted, robust high end pack, you’d gladly pay him the difference, plus some, to finish your pack out.

If you don’t know what you want, buy used, and sell used. You can trial any pack you want through the classifieds here and AT, and at most be out 10-20 bucks.

tsm213

FNG
I’ve got the traverse? Day pack. I got it off camo fire for 68$ and am super impressed for that price lol. I can carry a bow or rifle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
switchback7
I have the 2019 MR Metcalf in my shopping cart now! any difference between the 2019 and 2020?

I have one that's been sitting in my closet for years, I would probably rather sling a quarter over each shoulder and ferry meat out that way than haul it out in the alps these days...I keep it as an emergency loaner pack but would definitely feel bad for whoever I have to loan it out to. I would look into slumberjack, a bit more expensive but not by much and it's a night and day difference in design and comfort.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I found a first gen SJK railhauler for $100 and stripped it down a little bit and it has been an awesome pack. I now have a SO revolution frame which is definitely lighter but the ol' slumberjack may have the edge with comfortably carrying heavy loads. No experience with the alps but I definitely would take the rail hauler deep into the backcountry.

My trainer and dedicated meat hauler frame is the frame from a Commander pack. I keep the pack bag for it around just in case I need a loaner. It's not awful by any means. Pretty well built, if not a little overbuilt. Price sure is right.

Not the Outdoorz product line, but their mountaineering product line is pretty mediocre.

DPWitter

FNG
Has anyone used the Alps tents, I'm guessing quite a bit heavier but what about durability? I know this isn't a bag but wanted to keep my question in this thread for the brand.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Bloc004

FNG
Alps pursuit pack has been a perfect Midwest hunting/ day pack for me. The bow/ gun carrying system works great and keeps everything tight and in place. Water bottle pockets on outside and plenty of room inside.