ALPs

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone every used the Alps Outdoorz Hybrid X pack. Im on a very tight budget. Looking for a payback with meat hauling capability. Looking at the Alps or the MR Pop Up 28. Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
I have not used that particular pack but I did use their Traverse pack for a few years. It is very good for the price, pretty comfortable, adjustable, decent lumbar support, carried weight ok. The one part I don't like is the belt; it was difficult to get tight and stay tight. Still in great shape, now my daughter uses it. You could do worse on a tight budget. Hope this helped a bit.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both of my ALPS packs have broken buckles. One of which is the waist belt buckle. They are cheap, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never owned an ALPZ but if a popup 28 is in the budget I'd seriously be considering it over an ALPZ just based on reports from both packs

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
I have several ALPS packs, but do own the Hybrid X. It's an OK hauling backpack if you are on a day hunt and wanting to pack out a deer or antelope sized animal. Not so much suited for elk quarters. The pack is inexpensive, but comfortable. It is on the heavy side though. If you are definitely going for an ALPS and want a versatile meat hauler for larger game go with the Commander X. I got mine and strictly use it for whitetail deer in the east.

pin_head

FNG
I can’t comment on the hybrid pack but I’ve used both the commander and commander x packs from Alps. I’ve packed out deer with both and they do a damn fine job for the dollar.

I have a popup28 now and find it far superior for regular use but I haven’t had a chance to haul out an animal with it yet. I plan to keep the commander x frame in the truck for heavy hauling.

Brad

I have the Commander frame and pack, and it's a lot of pack for the money. I used the frame to help pack out my buddy's elk this past fall. I put the pack on a smaller, lighter frame and it makes a darn nice camping backpack.

Funny thing, my wife and I watch "The Last Alaskans" and you'll see a number of ALPS Commander packs and frames among those families. If you're on a budget, it's a good option.

Ive got the alps pursuit i think its called. For the money its a great day pack and the features are great for the price range (gun/bow boot, rain fly, hip pockets). I have put untold miles on that and have had little to complain about (restitched a bit of one of the hip pockets). All in all its a fine pack to hunt with if youre gonna put miles on with a bow or gun on your back and are on a budget. If you understand its not gonna pack elk quarters out youll be fine. Take one load of backstraps and neck out and switch to a big pack frame from there. I picked up a MR pop up 18 now for a little more capacity on the first trip out but honestly the alps wasnt that bad if you kept that first load to say 40lbs or so. From there i switch to the pintler or the ox. Pop up is the shit but it should be for 3x the price.
Imho, alps stuff shouldnt be over looked if you are on a budget. The point is to be able to afford to get as many experiences as possible. If you put a big animal down in steep places, no amount of $600 packs is gonna make those trips out easy. Embrace the suck.
Good luck bro!

JD_Engel

FNG
A friend picked up the Hybrid-X. The functionality/layout is good. Haven’t had a pack out with it yet to speak to that. I haven’t seen a Pop Up in person but recently got the MR Sawtooth. The MR yoke adjustability is a big benefit in getting a good fit and the load lifters are much more functional than on the Alps unless you have a short torso or prefer to wear your belt above the hip. It looks like these differences would transfer over to the Pop Up.