Already owned Tikka T3 .270 or Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC

archp625

WKR
I just bought a new scope and I am in a rifle dilemma. I current own a Tikka T3 in .270 Win. Shoots 130 grain American Whitetail ammo really well. I am wanting to go to the next level in guns. Should I buy a AG Composite stock for the gun and move on or should I sell the T3 and buy a CA mesa or Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. One thing that breaks my heart is the T3 is in LH and CA doesn't make a LH 6.5 PRC.

I'm wanting this gun for target practice and hunting. I just like the idea of a sexier bullet choice with the 6.5 where the .270 is lacking.

JWP58

WKR
Me personally? I own a t3x in 270. I'm hunting with it this yr, and plan on rebarreling it this winter (pva prefit). I like the action, the stock, have extra mags, and dont want a 700 clone.

I was close to going the prc route, but in looking at real world numbers, the old 270 slinging 130-140 bullets does pretty well.

FURMAN

WKR
What are your goals, demands, for the rifle? For anything under 3-400 yards you will not see much of a difference if your rifle is capable. I personally will not own a rifle that can not shoot under .5 out to at least 1k yards. I also personally do not comprehend why the 270 is still so popular when there are currently a plethora of better options but your needs may be different.

Trr15

WKR
Let me know if you decide to sell the Tikka. I may be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would shoot the barrel out of that Tikka and chamber it in a 6.5 of your choosing after that. There is nothing wrong with the .270 since you already have it and it shoots.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go 284 180elds on the Tikka. The CA would be a downgrade in many ways.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I own a .270 superlight. Look at the 2 charts at the pages below, the difference is minimal until you get way out there. Plus, you can find .270 ammo anywhere cheap for alot less to practice with.

That is pretty amazing to me out to 500 yards. I guess I didn't realize that. I'm sure if gets different when you push the two out further. I bet the PRC pulls away.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
What are your goals, demands, for the rifle? For anything under 3-400 yards you will not see much of a difference if your rifle is capable. I personally will not own a rifle that can not shoot under .5 out to at least 1k yards. I also personally do not comprehend why the 270 is still so popular when there are currently a plethora of better options but your needs may be different.

Goal for practice is the 1000 yard mark. For hunting I want to be proficient to 5-600 yards.

I am new to the custom or higher end guns. I bought a 300 WM a year ago and now realize I'm not in love with it. Its too heavy in my books. I've always had $500 guns with $500 glass.

I did take your advice and pulled the trigger on a SHV 5-20 x 56. First real nice scope ever. I'm just in a gun dilemma. I don't know what to put it on.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Goal for practice is the 1000 yard mark. For hunting I want to be proficient to 5-600 yards.

I am new to the custom or higher end guns. I bought a 300 WM a year ago and now realize I'm not in love with it. Its too heavy in my books. I've always had $500 guns with $500 glass.

I did take your advice and pulled the trigger on a SHV 5-20 x 56. First real nice scope ever. I'm just in a gun dilemma. I don't know what to put it on.

There is no reason you can't ring steel or punch paper at 1000yds with a .270 and still be plenty effective at 500yds on game. You won't win a PRS match and the Tikka doesn't have the best barrel profile for heavy volume, but the cartridge will get your there just fine.

Cartridges like your .270 continue to be popular because they just plain work at typical hunting ranges. Not everyone wants or needs the latest whiz-bang tactical, super sniper round.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
There is no reason you can't ring steel or punch paper at 1000yds with a .270 and still be plenty effective at 500yds on game. You won't win a PRS match and the Tikka doesn't have the best barrel profile for heavy volume, but the cartridge will get your there just fine.

Cartridges like your .270 continue to be popular because they just plain work at typical hunting ranges. Not everyone wants or needs the latest whiz-bang tactical, super sniper round.
This all makes sense to me. If I do go this route do you have a suggestion on a better stock. I would like to at least upgrade that. Im looking at the AG Composite Alpine Hunter or Privateer. Leaning towards the Privateer.

Ratbeetle

WKR
This all makes sense to me. If I do go this route do you have a suggestion on a better stock. I would like to at least upgrade that. Im looking at the AG Composite Alpine Hunter or Privateer. Leaning towards the Privateer.

Sorry, I admittedly don't have much experience with the composite stocks. I've been using XLR chassis systems on my long range rifles for banging steel.

hodgeman

WKR
Try some of the 145 ELD-X bullets in your .270... compare the numbers to the 6.5PRC. The differences are too slight to even worry about until you get way past 1000 yards.

I'm using the 145 ELDX in my son's 270 Tikka, 2950fps measured MV and 5 will land in 3/4".

FURMAN

WKR

I am going to post this and move on because I know it will not align with others in this thread, especially since it is not in the long range section. I would ditch the 270 and get the PRC. It will outshoot the 270 mainly due to bullet options. As far as if the PRC will be around in a few years who cares. Buy enough brass to last the barrel and don't worry about it. I would buy 200 to be safe. The PRC is a dream to shoot, is very easy to tune with multiple bullets(all of which are relatively high bc especially compared to .277 bullets), and will have the energy to kill deer and antelope out to at least 1k yards. It will also be great for target shooting. The CA Ridgeline is a lot of gun for the money. I would also look at the Fierce Fury or Edge(starting to stretch the budget). If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me. Good luck and good hunting.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I am going to post this and move on because I know it will not align with others in this thread, especially since it is not in the long range section. I would ditch the 270 and get the PRC. It will outshoot the 270 mainly due to bullet options. As far as if the PRC will be around in a few years who cares. Buy enough brass to last the barrel and don't worry about it. I would buy 200 to be safe. The PRC is a dream to shoot, is very easy to tune with multiple bullets(all of which are relatively high bc especially compared to .277 bullets), and will have the energy to kill deer and antelope out to at least 1k yards. It will also be great for target shooting. The CA Ridgeline is a lot of gun for the money. I would also look at the Fierce Fury or Edge(starting to stretch the budget). If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me. Good luck and good hunting.
Thanks for this post and your thoughts.

fatbacks

WKR
Or you could keep your tikka and get a new barrel for it. Get a Proof Carbon pre fit in 6.5 PRC and then get a Mesa Precision Arms stock for it.... too many options!

If you do keep the tikka, I would suggest either the Mesa Precision stock or the McMillan Game Hunter. Both are a pretty nice upgrade.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Or you could keep your tikka and get a new barrel for it. Get a Proof Carbon pre fit in 6.5 PRC and then get a Mesa Precision Arms stock for it.... too many options!

If you do keep the tikka, I would suggest either the Mesa Precision stock or the McMillan Game Hunter. Both are a pretty nice upgrade.
You read my mind. I was thinking of going this route too. Basically same price since I already own the tikka. I just hear good things about the triggertech triggers. That's where the ridgeline for $1600 intrigues me.