Already owned Tikka T3 .270 or Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC

fatbacks

WKR
You read my mind. I was thinking of going this route too. Basically same price since I already own the tikka. I just hear good things about the triggertech triggers. That's where the ridgeline for $1600 intrigues me.

I would look at the Yodave trigger spring for the Tikka. I think it is like $15 shipped and will let you tune the factory trigger down below 2lbs if desired. Worth a try before you spend bug money on an aftermarket trigger or get rid of your rifle.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I would look at the Yodave trigger spring for the Tikka. I think it is like $15 shipped and will let you tune the factory trigger down below 2lbs if desired. Worth a try before you spend bug money on an aftermarket trigger or get rid of your rifle.
The trigger is good and as low as I would want for a hunting situation. Does the spring make it a better trigger or just lighter?

16Bore

WKR
Keep the 270 to hunt with and get a 223 for practice. Forget all the bullet drama, Ford/Chevy Pepsi/Coke blah, blah....

You’ll eventually end up where you started anyway. After you do all the switcheroo for whatever gains you “think” you’re getting and shoot something at 150 yards you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

tdhanses

WKR
Or you could keep your tikka and get a new barrel for it. Get a Proof Carbon pre fit in 6.5 PRC and then get a Mesa Precision Arms stock for it.... too many options!

If you do keep the tikka, I would suggest either the Mesa Precision stock or the McMillan Game Hunter. Both are a pretty nice upgrade.

I’d look at a carbonsix over the proof, for $695 you get a chambered and threaded barrel just as good as the proof. And yes I have guns with both proof and carbonsix.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I’d look at a carbonsix over the proof, for $695 you get a chambered and threaded barrel just as good as the proof. And yes I have guns with both proof and carbonsix.
Those barrels look really nice. But by the time I buy the barrel have installed and but I good stock and bed it I would probably in the $1500 range.

tdhanses

WKR
Those barrels look really nice. But by the time I buy the barrel have installed and but I good stock and bed it I would probably in the $1500 range.

If you buy a proof add another $400ish. FYI most gunsmiths will install and headspace a barrel for less then $100. Where you save is in the chambering and threading. But just something to keep in mind if you ever rebarrel any rifle.

Semi customs aren’t cheap but cheaper then full customs. The resale on the tikka probably isn’t what you think and it’ll make a great donor action. Also you can spread the cost out over time vs all at once, just things to think about.

fatbacks

WKR

***edited... my lemon barrel was a carbon barrel that had a McGowan sleeve in there. It was made by someone else other than Carbon Six.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I had a carbon six barrel that was a total lemon. Still waiting on my first proof barrel to show up, but am hoping it performs better.

Yeah any barrel mfg can create a lemon, did carbonsix replace it? Many haven’t been impressed with Proof, mine shoots lights out but the carbon has started to chip, cosmetic only.

howl

WKR
Don't mess with a gun that is shooting well. Don't sell it. These ideas come from too much time spent not hunting or shooting, not actual lack of something.

fatbacks

WKR
Yeah any barrel mfg can create a lemon, did carbonsix replace it? Many haven’t been impressed with Proof, mine shoots lights out but the carbon has started to chip, cosmetic only.

Editing my original post... I thought the carbon barrel I had that is not shooting well was made by carbon six for the manufacturer of my rifle. I was wrong... they didn't make it. However, my lemon barrel did have a McGowan sleeve in there.

16Bore

WKR
I’d feed that thing 129 LRX or 145 ELDX and watch the good times roll!

2five7

WKR
Like everyone else said, the real world lethality difference between the PRC and a 270 with the right nullet is mostly elementary. I'd try the 1445 ELD-x or the 140 Berger classic hunter.