Alternative .223 powder

Juan_ID

WKR
To this point I have only used Varget h4895 and xbr. Was happy to read varget was so liked as I had a couple lbs leftover from when I used to load 204 ruger. For whatever reason I couldn’t get very consistent results with it. 🤷‍♂️ Got some pretty good results with the h4895 but have recently come to really like xbr. Seems to be much more consistent (group wise) for me with several 5 shot groups under .5”. Will do some shooting with the chrono this weekend.

Have also read a lot of good things about tac but having about 10lbs of 4895 and xbr combined I don’t see the need to add another powder to the shelf just yet.

FLS

WKR
I'm really hoping I can work up a really quick couple of loads with the Tac. One for 65s (my general plinking/hog/varmint load) & another for 77tmks. A single, universal load again would be the ideal!

My Varget load shoots both bullets to within .25" of each other at 100yds. I'm zeroed for the 77s, but out to 300,I know they'll both do the job.
24.5 grains of TAC is a pretty common load with a 77 grain SMK. I buy processed LC brass and crank that load out on a Dillon 550.
I get 2750 out of an 18” 1-8 AR and 2840 out of a 24” Tikka. Accuracy is sub MOA out of both.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
24.5 grains of TAC is a pretty common load with a 77 grain SMK. I buy processed LC brass and crank that load out on a Dillon 550.
I get 2750 out of an 18” 1-8 AR and 2840 out of a 24” Tikka. Accuracy is sub MOA out of both.

I was just researching loads today. That confirms exactly what I'd read. I assume you're loading to AR mag length: 2.26"?

IMR 3031 when I first started loading for 5.56 was my go to bit dirty but worked just fine, look around and find some older loading books from the 80s I think some of the older type powders and data are just as good as the new stuff.

Reactions: WKR

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I have been developing loads for the 77TMK For an AR. So far I really like the 8208 XBR. 24.1 grains at 2.26 coal. Tried CFE 223 but could not find the accuracy. I also have some TAC to try But so far like the 8208. 10 shot groups at an inch. I bet in the bolt gun it will do even better.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I had a scratch around in the basement & I've come to the conclusion, I'm going to use up the last bit of Varget I have for the 77s.
The load is so consistently accurate I'm really loathe to change it. Honestly, with the 200 I already have loaded, that'll keep me in hunting rounds for years!
I load them fairly long at 2.40" so they'll never see the inside of my ARs, they're purely for the bolt gun.
I'm going to work up a quick "that'll do" load with the TAC & 65gn SGKs for range work & varmints. Probably just go to a hair under book max at max mag length & re-zero to suit. That's always kinda worked in the past. Not the by-the-book way of doing things, but I still have all my fingers so far! Like I say, I'm not needing to pop chipmunks at a mile, inch and a half is fine for my needs.

Lawnboi

WKR
You missed a bunch of Varget today, totally forgot this thread. It was on brownells for 49 bucks a pound. H4350 too. I couldn’t pay 237$ Shipped for 4 pounds of powder though.

You missed a bunch of Varget today, totally forgot this thread. It was on brownells for 49 bucks a pound. H4350 too. I couldn’t pay 237$ Shipped for 4 pounds of powder though.
If Brownells got some in, that likely means Hodgdon cranked out a new batch. Start watching everywhere.

Lawnboi

WKR
If Brownells got some in, that likely means Hodgdon cranked out a new batch. Start watching everywhere.
Powder valley had some too but the boys got it before I could even add to cart.

It’s out there, could have gotten 2lbs of Xbr from brownells too.

I think brownells and midway are about the only places you see it though because of the price. Scalpers have low margins when they buy at 50 bucks a pound

Lawnboi

WKR
Some tac data.

24 grains pushed a 73eldm at 2800fps out of a 20” tikka.

24.2 started to crater the primer.

It meters awesome and is available now on powder valley.

I’m tempted to buy some. We will see soon how temperature effects it.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Sweet, thanks! I Actually scored 4lb from Natchez earlier this week that I'm picking up tomorrow (I said I ordered 3, went back & changed my mind & they only had 1 left. So I snagged that too.)

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Will do! Unfortunately I have to wait for a mag to get here before I can start loading. I don't know if the mag will work in my rifle & I don't want to start assuming it will, then tear down a bunch of loads if it doesn't.

WKR

WKR
I use Imr 3031, in a couple of my rifles. Its a very versatile powder and for me has been accurate. Sub moa with my .223 wylde and 1 moa with my 45-70. It also has uses for .308 30-06 30-30

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I use Imr 3031, in a couple of my rifles. Its a very versatile powder and for me has been accurate. Sub moa with my .223 wylde and 1 moa with my 45-70. It also has uses for .308 30-06 30-30

See, now, I'm supremely jealous of that.
Literally every single rifle & pistol I own prefers a different powder. .223 is honestly the cartridge I care the least about & with 3031, 4895, 4198 & 332 even I can't seem to get acceptable results!
I have so many different powders I could probably open a pretty profitable store.

On the bright side though, my buddy just swung by with the TAC on his way down to Atlanta!

Look at this lot..... it's just ridiculous!
received_3219008725035285.jpeg

• Wow

WKR

WKR
See, now, I'm supremely jealous of that.
Literally every single rifle & pistol I own prefers a different powder. .223 is honestly the cartridge I care the least about & with 3031, 4895, 4198 & 332 even I can't seem to get acceptable results!
I have so many different powders I could probably open a pretty profitable store.

On the bright side though, my buddy just swung by with the TAC on his way down to Atlanta!

Look at this lot..... it's just ridiculous!
View attachment 390121
Man thats alot of different powders to try without good results, are you sure your barrel is a shooter? Or maybe different projectiles?

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
To be fair, I've yet to shoot this Ruger .223.

But, with every other rifle I've owned, I've had to fiddle around with different powders. My mindset has always been to find the bullet I want to use, figure out how quick it needs to be going at my maximum range to still work properly, then figure out what powder gives me a good mixture of accuracy & velocity. Most of my guns are moa-ey, some are well sub & all of them shoot the bullet I want.

The .223s I've had previously have been universally happy with Varget. 77TMKs are fairly new to me, but I found a load that was by pure coincidence exactly the same as my bulk 65gn load. The 77s put 10 shots at just a hair over an inch out of 3 different rifles, the 65s just a little worse, but more than good enough to do what I need.