Alternative to Helinox chair?

robtattoo

WKR

Picked one of these up last year and can't say enough good things about it. As stated above, you need a tree or two but they are so comfortable to use.

Good lord. He spent more time putting that rascal up than I usually spend hunting!

The Fanatic hammock seat literally takes 10 seconds.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Good lord. He spent more time putting that rascal up than I usually spend hunting!

The Fanatic hammock seat literally takes 10 seconds.

This was the first time I’d ever set it up. I leave the straps hooked and it takes me less than a minute now.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Much of my predator calling is done in the open country, no trees...I am in bushes or a shadowed rock outcropping. How much does that Mac chair weigh? I prefer to sit a bit higher than a traditional turkey chair, it's why I love my Helinox. Ideal chair for glassing, shooting a rifle or even a bow. Provides adequate lumbar support...I can sit in it for hours.

TheGDog

WKR
Get one of those low height Turkey style chairs. There a little heavy for a long hike. But deploy rapidly, and are actually pretty comfortable to sit in.

P.S. REI makes a Macro version of their knockoff of the Helinox chair, for us bigger/heavier dudes, and it's super comfy for an all day sit. AND the feet are substantially bigger and much better at resisting sinking into the soft stuff.

For predator calling in open country like that... presumably needing to often sit on a slope... Get the HS Strut chair and use that as a base... on top of that... use a Predator Seat Cusion, the kind which provide back-support with the adjustable straps. The HS Strut gets you up off the ground, it has un-even legs designed to help a lil bit for using it on a sloping surface. And in some places you might be able to just put the Predator Seat Cushion with back support right on the ground. I think SOG Gear was the name of the second one of those I bought, where I was impressed with the cusion thickness, compared to the first one I'd bought from Les Johnson's Predator Quest sight. The latter one, whose build quality I like better, was purchase via OpticsPlanet

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
You need a tree or fence post, but these things are LITERALLY the best hunting seat ever made.
Ever.
Im super cereal.

Packs down to nothing, weighs nothing, silent, 30 second setup & I swear, one you've sat in one, you'll never want another hunting chair. Also, there's nothing to break.
I've had one for six years & i'm a PROPER fat bastard. Never a minute's discomfort.

thanks. now i have another DIY project to do.

Too bad you need a backrest, Outdoorsmans has their little stool that is lightweight

I have a couple of those little REI stools that Rodkazempour mentioned. They are cheap, fast, light and comfortable enough for a short time.

Years ago, my family had a couple of chairs like Cahunter805 mentioned, but with a flip up back. I don’t remember them being particularly comfortable.

Rodéo

WKR
Too bad you need a backrest, Outdoorsmans has their little stool that is lightweight

I have a couple of those little REI stools that Rodkazempour mentioned. They are cheap, fast, light and comfortable enough for a short time.

Years ago, my family had a couple of chairs like Cahunter805 mentioned, but with a flip up back. I don’t remember them being particularly comfortable.
Have you tried the outdoorsmans stool? If so, is it worth 4x the price of the REI version? The specs look better for sure with the outdoorsmans being around 4 ounces lighter and more compact. Looks a little less comfortable with the flat top though

Have you tried the outdoorsmans stool? If so, is it worth 4x the price of the REI version? The specs look better for sure with the outdoorsmans being around 4 ounces lighter and more compact. Looks a little less comfortable with the flat top though
No, haven’t tried it. I assume it would be about the same. If it is made in USA, I’d ditch my REI stools in a heartbeat.

TheGDog

WKR
I ordered 3 of them, to have with the family when we occasionally do hikes together, so they'd have a sit option that's light.

They are not terribly comfortable. Not too bad. Just not comfortable enough to sit a whole morning on one without coming away sore. The seat area sure could use to be about... maybe 3" greater in width? (EDIT: For me, as a bigger dude 230Lbs)

However, full disclosure, I've got some kind of issue going on right now in my tailbone, old injury re-aggravated, I think one of my discs is probably bulging or pinched at the moment. That having been said on the recent Rabbit Opener I did just fine with that REI Macro chair bigger-dude sized Helinox knockoff.

Last edited:

This may work.

Superdoo

WKR

SonnyDay

WKR
I use a Therma-a-Rester (similar to a Crazy Creek, you supply the pad). Instead of an actual ThermaRest pad, I stick a Ridge-Rest-type closed cell foam pad in it to save weight. I pretty much always have a foam pad since they weigh nothing and have many uses... and the chair rig adds only a few ounces on top.