Alternative to Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 for a lighter scope to dial

tdot

WKR
I'm planning a lightweight rifle build. Not stupid light, but the plan is roughly 6 pounds before glass, then I'm happy to add 20 ounces or so for decent glass.

The goal of the rifle is a sort of do-it all from spot and stock to intermediate/long range, realistically 600 to 700 yard limit, 400-500 is more realistic on animals. I'm not a fan of using the reticle for longer shots. This will be used for everything from mountain sheep hunts to up close and personal Sitka blacktail hunts. I prefer lower magnification, so honestly anything over 12x to 16x is a waste. I like excellent light transmission and field of view over magnification. Ideally it would have capped windage, some form of Zero stop, and a lit reticle. I dislike any Leupold I've ever been behind, otherwise I think they were the easy answer.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How about the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 i LW - Matte - L-4a #56104 which is on sale for only $929.99, reduced from $1549.00
  • L-4a Illuminated Reticle, SFP
  • 30mm Maintube Diameter
  • 1cm Impact Point Correction
  • 180cm Windage/Elevation Ranges
  • Low-Profile Capped Turrets
  • Matte Black Hard Anodized Aluminum
  • Fully Multi-Coated High-Contrast Optics
  • AquaDura Water-Repellent Lens Coating
  • Waterproof & Fogproof
  • Parallax-Free at 109 yd
Length: 12.8"
Weight18.3 oz

prm

WKR
The Nightforce 3-10 SHV is about the same weight but costs quite a bit less. The SWFA 3-9 SS HD dials well and is ~19oz. I have each and like them both even if they are heavier than I’d prefer. Really liked the Razor HD LH until it died on me. Others seem to have had good luck with them though. I’m struggling to find a scope that dials well, holds up over time, and is not heavy.

If you find one that will last for thousands of shots, is durable, and dials well I’m equally interested.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
The NXS 2-10 is 20oz, how much lighter were you looking to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NXS 2-10 is what set my upper limit weight of 20oz. A huge weight reduction isn't necessarily one of the goals. I'm just curious of other options at that weight range.

I have a Z3 3-10, but want something that dials. I wish the X5 series was lighter.

I can’t recall what my swaro x5 weighs, but I think it’s 26oz, so it’s not bad. I also own the NXS 2.5-10 and you would notice the size of the x5 way more than the weight in my opinion.

In my opinion you pick the 2.5-10 NXS if you want a scope that isn’t optically great, but you know you can count on it 100% of the time. The X5 is bright and swaro glass is great and it’s a pleasure to get behind, but it’s bigger.

I have been on a Colorado sheep hunt and have hunted Alaska for blacktails twice. I also have both scopes and I would set the rifle up with the NXS for those hunts...since you mentioned them.

To add...the alternative will be hard to find. The Mark5 HD in the 3.5-18x44 is close to what you want but is a Leupold...but it seems to be getting much better results than the gold ring stuff. I am tempted to try one.

My weight conscious rifles will be wearing the nxs compact or SWFA 3-9. I’m not aware of anything lighter that I’d trust as much.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I can’t recall what my swaro x5 weighs, but I think it’s 26oz, so it’s not bad. I also own the NXS 2.5-10 and you would notice the size of the x5 way more than the weight in my opinion.

In my opinion you pick the 2.5-10 NXS if you want a scope that isn’t optically great, but you know you can count on it 100% of the time. The X5 is bright and swaro glass is great and it’s a pleasure to get behind, but it’s bigger.

I have been on a Colorado sheep hunt and have hunted Alaska for blacktails twice. I also have both scopes and I would set the rifle up with the NXS for those hunts...since you mentioned them.

Thanks. I guess even if I don't find an alternative, atleast I wont be pondering this part of the build anymore.

Nick-D

FNG
What is it you don't like about the leupolds? The vx5 HD is a brilliant little scope. The 2-10x44 with zl2 turret fits your bill exactly. Dial well awesome turret system and very very good glass.