Alternative to Phoneskope

sram9102

WKR
If you can find a piece of pvc pipe or a pvc coupling that fits over your eye piece you can glue in to that back of a cheap phone case. I think this ran me 8 bucks total. Couple wraps of electrical tape around the eyepiece on my spotter and it fits snug.

Attachments

• Digiscope adapter.jpg
    Digiscope adapter.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 31

twall13

WKR
I made one like the PVC model posted above a few years back and it certainly worked but it's not as versatile as some of the models you can buy. I also made one attached to a kydex case that I custom fit to slip the phone into. Good cheap option if that's what it takes to get you started.

This year I purchased a Tinesup/PhoneCam universal adapter and I like it a lot. The part that goes on the phone case is much slimmer and can stay on the phone and slide in and out of my pocket easily, which you can't do with a phoneskope or the homemade one posted above. With the same universal adapter I can swap it between my binoculars and my spotting scope with just a couple of twists. Yes, I could have made many PVC cases for the price of the PhoneCam but the convenience makes the price worth it to me.

I've also used the original Novagrade (not the double gripper which I hear is better). It was heavier and bulkier than the PhoneCam and took a lot longer to get everything lined up and focused just right. It got frustrating to me after being on a mountain goat survey and watching others with PhoneCam's and Phoneskopes setup up much more quickly and easily. I will say that the Novagrade is truly universal. Buy it and use it with basically any phone into the foreseeable future. With the PhoneCam I'll have to add a sticker attachment to a phone case with every phone upgrade but they come in a 3 pack and don't cost much so I'm happy to do that for the more user friendly experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk