Alternative to the Jetstream jacket

Does OR or Arcteryx (or maybe someone else) has a good alternative to the Jetstream jacket? Or do you think just buy the Jetstream jacket. I'm thinking some of these jackets will go on sale sometime soon (maybe closer to spring) but I want to keep an eye out for good deals.

Thanks

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen some on sale for like 10-20% off. I think I'll be adding one to use inplace of my timberline jacket.

excaliber

WKR
It's tough to beat the Jetstream jacket. It has to be one of the single most versatile jackets out there. It's not good in a downpour but will work just fine in just about every other condition you'll encounter in temps from 10 degrees +.
I like how it eliminates the wind. I looked long and hard but nothing compared to it. I waited till I could find a new one for just over 200.00 and went for it.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Does OR or Arcteryx (or maybe someone else) has a good alternative to the Jetstream jacket? Or do you think just buy the Jetstream jacket. I'm thinking some of these jackets will go on sale sometime soon (maybe closer to spring) but I want to keep an eye out for good deals.

Thanks

There's definitely going to be similar jackets in the lineup for almost any outdoor company. Arc'teryx Solano and Mountain Equipment Vulcan specifically use the Gore Windstopper, like the Sitka Jetstream and Mountain jackets do. Even if a company doesn't use Gore, many have another "wind membrane" like The North Face's Windwall material.

Sitka is on sale right now, so get the Sitka piece if you like the company/camo/name recognition, but it's not like they have some magic textile that no one else can replicate.

Jetstream is a windproof soft shell. It has a couple of hunting specific tweaks - quieter fabric, camo, no Velcro - but it isn’t magic. Plenty of nonhunting brands offering similar garments. I liked my subalpine one so much I bought a solid one to wear as well.

Kuiu guide or one of their more recent offerings. First lite catalyst. All are similar in form and function but vary a bit in performance and details. I own all three and prefer the jetstream overall and especially when I expect colder, windier or wetter weather.

I am obviously a bit of a gear nut (don’t tell my wife) but can honestly say my jetstream is my favorite piece from Sitka and one of my favorite jackets overall.

The Kryptek Vellus is windproof $165 on camofire and pretty quiet with the low knap fleece outer. Also waterproof and seam taped. I’ve only tried it on in the store. I believe Robby did a review 3-4 years ago on the vellus. I was about ready to get it when I found a Jetstream in a package deal I couldn’t pass up.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
We went to the Jetstream jacket this year after using the Cloudburst as the one stop shell for years to save weight (and money). Jetstream is the bomb and money well spent. and worth the weight.

Firehawk

WKR
Jetstream is my favorite piece. I have owned one in Optifade OC for years and this year added one in all black. I wear it nearly daily to work and around town. I tried a Leupold softshell (not sure who makes it) and it isnt close. I wanted to look at the Kuiu guide too, but could never find one to look at. Finally bit the bullet and got the jacket that i wanted all along. I should have bought it sooner.

I did pick up the Black one from a gentleman here on Rokslide. It was a good enough deal to justify picking it up for an every day piece.

Another vote for the jetstream. I have used mine on early and late season hunts. It vents well early season and is decently warm late season. It cuts the wind like a wall! I treat mine with waterproof spray and get good results in light rain.

Trial153

WKR
Jetstream is my favorite hunting jacket, i have used it to bowhunt from the subartic to Mexico. Its coming with me for desert mule deer in a couple days...its a rrally versatile jacket

idig4au

WKR
I have the jetstream too, and I've only used it once since 2012. I'm more versatile with using my hard shell for wind protection as that is always in my pack anyway. Not a fan of soft shells as insulating layer with a hard shell accomplishes the same thing with more versatility and both in my pack anyway.

excaliber

WKR
I really wanted to like the Vellus jacket but when I finally got my hands on one I was surprised how heavy it was. It's not a packable jacket at all imho.
I think this would be a great jacket for close to the truck hunts in colder weather or as a tree stand jacket. I just don't know where or how this would fit into my system. I saw that review too and there was a consensus that it was pretty heavy set overall.

The Kryptek Vellus is windproof $165 on camofire and pretty quiet with the low knap fleece outer. Also waterproof and seam taped. I’ve only tried it on in the store. I believe Robby did a review 3-4 years ago on the vellus. I was about ready to get it when I found a Jetstream in a package deal I couldn’t pass up.

bozeman

WKR
+1000 on the Jetstream- wear it hunting and overall favorite jacket to wear for everyday use as well.

OP
Y
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I only have a few Sitka pieces and love them. I think I will get the Jetstream. One thing I really like about it is the pit zips if you get heated up.