Altimeter Watch

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at getting a new watch for backpacking and for everyday use. Right now, my front runner is the Suunto Core. I would like to know of any other options available in a good watch, that at the very least has a altimeter. Also, any pro's and con's of the Suunto watches would be very helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions.

trk3263

WKR
I am looking at getting a new watch for backpacking and for everyday use. Right now, my front runner is the Suunto Core. I would like to know of any other options available in a good watch, that at the very least has a altimeter. Also, any pro's and con's of the Suunto watches would be very helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would check this thread out http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?4750-new-watch&highlight=watch It had some infor on some Altimeter Watches

jherald

WKR
I'm using the Suunto Vector, for 4 years now. It's been on several mountain hunts and scouting hikes. The altimeter is accurate to +/- 200 ft. That's pretty good for a watch ! The watch has plastic case and band, so keep the deet away. I put a Zagg invisible shield over the face of it and it's been scratch free. Zagg makes the invisible shield just for watch faces and it's awesome. I recommend it for any watch you decide to get.

Vector has a bubble level to calibrate the compass and you can adjust for magnetic declination for magnetic/true north. Compass has been accurate for me so far.

The barometer is pretty darn close to right on with mine.

Battery change is average once a year for me because I use the features often during the hunting season. If you dont use the features often you may get longer battery life.

It's not a dive watch though, so don't press the settings buttons while the watch is totally submerged. Otherwise its waterproof in rain/snow. I would not recommend pressing the settings/modes buttons on any watch while it was submerged unless it was a dedicated diving watch.

Overall its a good watch. I would recommend Suunto.

G Posik

WKR
I use a Suunto Core. I have had it a few years, it has latterly had crap beat out if it. The functions on it I think are accurate. When ever you fly in a pressurized plane you need you recalibrate the altimeter. Battery life is about a year as stated if using the functions alot. Battery change is easy no need to have someone else do it. If I ever kill this one I will buy another Core.

Glenn

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Casio Pathfinder. I tried the Suunto's and it was to difficult for me to really get all the features out of it. The Pathfinder is an ABC watch that is simple and accurate. I have been running them for over ten years now without any problems. I have replaced the battery in one of the two that I have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360902088.034700.jpg

sneek-ee

WKR
I use the Casio Pathfinder. I tried the Suunto's and it was to difficult for me to really get all the features out of it. The Pathfinder is an ABC watch that is simple and accurate. I have been running them for over ten years now without any problems. I have replaced the battery in one of the two that I have.

View attachment 6003

+1 on the pathfinder. simple to operate and has everything you need. mine's about 2.5 yrs old now and it's been great

trk3263

WKR
I also use the pathfinder. It is a great watch simple and has solar so no batteries to change and never have had it go dead.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I had 2 Pathfinders and both had quality issues. Neither lasted more than 2 years. I've had a Suunto Core for under a year so I guess the jury is still out but i really like it so far. The only thing I miss about the Casio is the Atomic feature. I wish Suunto had that.

A buddy of mine went through two Suunto Core's on deployments in Afghaninstan. He said the customer service was great and he got it replaced easily, he just kept having to have them replaced.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing I really do not like about the Suunto is the fact that it has a battery and not a solar charger. I will probably end up going with the Suunto Core and just dealing with the battery life. I guess its really that bad to have to replace about every year for as much stuf as it does. There really arent a ton of options unless you want to move up in price quite a bit.

dotman

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing I really do not like about the Suunto is the fact that it has a battery and not a solar charger. I will probably end up going with the Suunto Core and just dealing with the battery life. I guess its really that bad to have to replace about every year for as much stuf as it does. There really arent a ton of options unless you want to move up in price quite a bit.

My pathfinder lasted 2 years and then crapped out, I like having a battery to replace now :). Really I had no problems with the Casio until it died and the screen started jacking up and then completely showed nothing. I also like the less bulky housing on the core.

I now have a spare batt on hand.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Suunto Core Alu. Is the only difference in that vs. just the regular core the fact that its housing is made of aluminum vs. plastic?

jmez

WKR
I've been looking at the same thing and wondering the difference between the X lander and the Core?

When people talk about a military spec core are they talking about the Xlander?

I've been looking at the same thing and wondering the difference between the X lander and the Core?

When people talk about a military spec core are they talking about the Xlander?

Core and X Lander are 2 different models, bit different style, similar features. Core has a plastic case where the X Lander is a metal case. The core is PLENTY tough and has mineral crystal face same as X Lander.