Aluminum arrow crossover?

HWR

FNG
I picked up a recurve at a Pawn Shop a long time ago and use Aluminum arrows with it just for target shooting in the back yard. My Dad had a few left over from the 80's and new ones are cheaper than carbon.

Fast forward, and I've got a compound Hoyt Vector 32 that I want to hunt with.

My question is; Do any of you hunt both way (Trad/Compound) and use Aluminum for both?

Because every time I talk to anyone about it they think I'm dumb for even suggesting that I want to shoot an aluminum arrow with a compound bow. I do know that my arrow will be slower and has more opportunity to bend if off-target. I figure that I'll go heavy and keep shots within 30 yards.

FYI: 27'' draw, 55#, working to get some arrows made for trial (Gamegetter 2117 @ 27.5'', 3 Blazer Vane, Supernock, 125 Gr head?)

Thanks,
HWR

LostArra

WKR
I guess a new enforcement arm of the Trad Police has developed into the Compound Arrow Police.

As long as it's safe, shoot what you want with your compound (no wood arrows).
Some people base their arrow decisions on a chronograph reading.
Plenty of critters have died from aluminum arrows shot from compounds.

I shoot carbon or aluminum from my traditional bows and my compound bows, just different broadheads. I try to keep arrow weight for both around 500-525gr except for my lighter trad setups and drop down to 425gr. I also am not a long range bowhunter.

Beendare

WKR
Aluminum arrows are fine.

They can take a bend over time...but they can also be straightened.

Arrow speed is dependent on arrow weight...not the material its made from.

____

OP
HWR

HWR

FNG
Aluminum arrows are fine.

They can take a bend over time...but they can also be straightened.

Arrow speed is dependent on arrow weight...not the material its made from.

____
In your opinion, is the arrow I'm going to experiment with useful for Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, all, or none of the above?

Easton Gamegetter 2117(400), @ 27.5'' with factory Supernock, Insert, factory vanes & 125 gr head of some type
Bow = Hoyt Vetor 32 (IBO 330) @ 27'' draw length & 55# draw weight

I havent gotten them done, but expect ~515 grain arrow I think.

From what I've read, I think I am on the "Momentum" side of things. I just have to be disciplined about knowing the range of the shot and staying within my limits.

Thanks,

Wapiti1

WKR
I just built some aluminum 2317's for a hunt where I need a heavy arrow to meet legal requirements. I'm using them in my 70 lb PSE DNA. It was easier and cheaper to go this route for this specialized hunt. I didn't see the point of spending $200 to get my arrow weight up when I could buy a dozen 2317's for $60 and get a proven setup. They came in at 28" 572 grains with a 150gr broadhead, stock inserts blazers and uni-nocks. Still getting 278 fps average with them.

They fly great, and it is really nice to be able to pull them without standing on my target for leverage.

Jeremy

sneaky

"DADDY"
Get you some autumn orange 2117s and tell the haters to pound sand. Chuck Adams seemed to do pretty well slinging aluminum arrows. I killed quite a few critters with them back in the day and still shoot them out of my recurves on occasion. Indoor target shooters like them, extremely consistent specs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ddog

WKR
Not a dang thing wrong with aluminum arrows. With an elevated rest on a recurve, you can even use plastic vanes on them. I shoot all modern shaft materials through my longbows and recurves and aluminum is the most consistent IMO, though I prefer woodies.

Beendare

WKR
In your opinion, is the arrow I'm going to experiment with useful for Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, all, or none of the above?

Same advise for carbons applies to Aluminum;

The perfect spine with that bow will be critical. I would start long with those....you will probably have to add tip weight to weaken them up. # rivers sell and kit with tips from 80gr to 300 gr.
Easy to cut with Al arrows, just heat them and remove inserts to adjust length.

You want to make sure the arrow is assembled and checked for perfect straightness.

Typically the aluminums don't have some of the spine inconsistency issue some carbons have- so to quote Bill Murray, " you got that going for you, which is nice"

Weight wise, those aluminums have always put a guy in a good weight range. Personally, for hunting I prefer a heavier than Avg arrow to make my shot as quiet as possible.

_____