Aluminum or carbon arrow setup for elk?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Long story short I dug out the old Easton aluminum arrows I’ve had in the garage after listening to someone talk about how the old heavy setups had better penetration than the new carbons.

that said I’ve got some Easton mayhem hunter ds 350’s with 125 grain heads for a total weight of 460 grain that I was planning to hunt elk with.

the aluminum I’ve got are Easton xx75 weighing 510.Shot them today and they group just as well as the carbons.

what would you take? Is the extra 50 grains worth taking the old aluminum arrows for my hunting setup.
I appreciate any thoughts or opinions bc despite having success with a bow I’m admittedly a bit ignorant when it comes to archery setup, tuning and such.

Zac

WKR
The aluminum arrows always worked great when it came to performance on game. They are just fragile and don't have a good life span. I've heard of backpackers taking them into the mountains and accidentally sitting on them and having to hike back to the trail head after bending all of them.

Rob5589

WKR
Either will work. The carbon are far more durable. I used to shoot XX78's in 2413, those things would bend if you looked at them funny.

Dave3c

FNG
Are you a riverboat gambler? A lot of money spent on the hunt comes down to an arrow and a string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
All my years hunting in a tree stand I guess I never took a fall enough to bend anything so I never even thought about the possibility

I’ll be sticking with the carbons. The only reason I was unsure was bc of how much everyone emphasizes using a heavy arrow for elk. Thanks for the advice all

Brendan

WKR
All my years hunting in a tree stand I guess I never took a fall enough to bend anything so I never even thought about the possibility

I’ll be sticking with the carbons. The only reason I was unsure was bc of how much everyone emphasizes using a heavy arrow for elk. Thanks for the advice all

You can buy or build heavy carbon arrows too. Plenty of great setups out there.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Carbon is my preference and not FMJs! Buy one spine stiffer than the charts suggest and load up the front with a brass or steel insert!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk