Always delayed on gun purchases

So I’m 23 years old, never been in any kind of legal trouble in my life. Yet every time I buy a gun, at a minimum I get further reviewed, and about half the time I get delayed. I always put my social on the forms. Is getting a UPIN the only thing I can do that will help me?

T28w

WKR
Can’t help much on the upin but I know if they don’t run my social and only my name, I won’t be getting the gun that day. I’ve had interesting times getting back into the country also.

Fatcamp

WKR
Common name?

Numerous recent background checks for professional license?

The licensure one got me for awhile.

T28w

WKR
That used to be true here also. But no longer that way. About two years ago I showed my ccw and was done. Last week , that no longer works. They explained why but I can’t remember exactly so won’t comment on the why.

T28w

WKR
My name is not a common name, I finally figured out there was a guy with my same first and last name close to where I grew up that obviously stayed in trouble. I knew the locale sheriff when I got my ccw prob 16 years ago, he asked me about going to different places and did I get in trouble at any of them. The first shotgun I bought in college, I drove almost 3 hours to pick up, didn’t put my ssn on the paperwork and had a 5 or 7 day hold, just remember we had to drive back to pick it up. I had never been to an airport until I got married, I got search at literally every check point, it was wild. Coming back in, I get to go in the back room and talk with the customs people. I think they about have it resolved though as the las time I came back in, it wasn’t nearly the hassle. One guy even ask me did they offer to clear it up, he led me to believe that one place I went through and was questioned could have helped. One time I was standing there with my wife and this agent is telling me about the restraining order is in effect and something else, I just said that’s someone else, they kinda quipped something and look at the screen for a while and then goes, oh sure is. Lol. Good times. I asked about global entry but there was no guarantee it would clear up the issue.

There is a felon in my town with the same first and last name and middle initial. He is about 10 years younger than me. I found this out after being held at gunpoint for about an hour for failing to signal a turn. If I don't put my SSN on forms, they are always delayed.

03mossy

WKR
I’m from MN also and get delayed every time. Now I just plan for it. I’ve been told it’s because I am a Jr. My father has never been in any trouble either but the same odd name throws a red flag somehow. It’s annoying more than anything.

OP
JPeters218
Not a super common name. Middle initial is Z as well lol. And I have my CC. Even if someone else did have the same name you’d think the social security number would clear that up. Not the case tho

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, the criminal with the same name is unfortunate.

After years of approval I have been delayed repeatedly following a bunch of checks for school, clinicals, and my license.

Last time it went through so maybe it's over.

That airport thing would suck.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
If you have US Govt clearances it will take a minimum of 45 mins there. If your prints are in the NCIC, FBI databases, or with State dept tack on more time. Are you LE?

T28w

WKR
Not a super common name. Middle initial is Z as well lol. And I have my CC. Even if someone else did have the same name you’d think the social security number would clear that up. Not the case tho
In my case it does fix the problem for me when it come to purchasing a firearm. I’m in Alabama so may be different. I’ve never had one delay where they ran my ssn. I have if they didn’t run the SSN.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Never had any problems, got clearances.
But I swear TSA had me on a watch list for 5 years or so.

manitou1

WKR
I am always delayed due to my clearance. Sometimes for days. I was actually told that. Maybe the type/level of clearance matters?
But man, it sure is nice not to have to take off my shoes at the airport. Go figure, lol.