Always overlooked guided hunts. Maybe I shouldn't?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Long story:

This was supposed to be the year that I hunted out west. I had read up a lot and was on here a lot and wanted to start with antelope in Wyoming. It seemed like it should be pretty easy. That's what I get for watching youtube and reading threads on here of harvest photos. :) I had intended on taking my 14yo son as well. We had zero pref points and applied for some east-side units hoping to land a general draw tag. Oh well.

Meanwhile, my wife was apparently nervous about this venture of ours. She's been telling me "why don't you get a guide?" My normal thought on this was "I/we don't have that kind of money!" However, for turning 50 yo in 2021, my wife told me to go "have an adventure". She meant if I wanted to go deep-sea fishing, go. If I wanted a fly-in fishing trip in Canada, go. If it was hunting out west, go. (within financial reason, I'm sure).

Maybe I should consider the guided route in the short term, seeing as I have my wife's blessing to do so!

I never dreamed I'd have a chance to hunt elk but I'll say that the desired targeted species would be antelope, whitetail, muleys, and elk, not necessarily in that order. I can't imagine spending more than $5k on something like this and would rather do it for much less. Perhaps that cuts me out of almost all guided opportunities (although my limited research over the years indicates that there could be options for much less.)

Short story:

There must be all sorts of guided situations available at a range of prices. Can anyone share with me some ideas or what to consider when trying to book an awesome trip without breaking the bank completely? (I understand the DIY is how to do this without almost using the bank...) I'm obviously not looking for a record buck/bull. I'm not even looking for detailed help necesssarily at this point! Maybe more general answers like "Dude, you aint getting a guide out west for les than $5k" or "Sure you can. "You might not have a guide one-on-one but you'll have a chance at a decent deer"

Rich M

WKR
Buy your antelope points right now for you and your son. AND Book the antelope hunt for both of you for 2023 right now and go have fun.

It will cost you about $3K each for a guided 3 day antelope adventure. Add travel and such and you'll be closer to $8K but you'll have a memory and a great time with your boy. All you guys need to do is hit the target at 300 yards.

If you need a mule deer, some guides have management hunts for a reasonable price. It won't be a 180 inch monster but most folks don't get those anyway, it'll be a pretty buck, just not a monster.

WY is gonna jack it to the NR hunter in some form or fashion within the next year or two or maybe three. That's gonna change a lot of how things are done, mainly tag allotments and opportunity.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If I were going to do an outfitted hunt, I would do something other than antelope. There are more antelope than people in Wyoming, and honestly, its the easiest hunt to DIY. If I were going to do an outfitter, I would do something that I just couldnt do myself. Maybe thats elk or mule deer, with horses, DEEP into some wild country. But definitely I would try and do antelope DIY, because for me, a big part of the fun and reward is in all the planning

If I were going to do an outfitted hunt, I would do something other than antelope. There are more antelope than people in Wyoming, and honestly, its the easiest hunt to DIY. If I were going to do an outfitter, I would do something that I just couldnt do myself. Maybe thats elk or mule deer, with horses, DEEP into some wild country. But definitely I would try and do antelope DIY, because for me, a big part of the fun and reward is in all the planning

I agree with what Titan said above - go DIY for pronghorn antelope, because they're easier for the inexperienced.

In terms of black bear, mule deer and elk - which are on the lower cost end of the Western big game hunting equation - good black bear hunts start at about $2,000 per person, mule deer at $3,000 per person, and bull elk hunts at $4,000 per person (two-on-one).

Call Compass West Outfitters, or any other New Mexico elk outfitter. Tell them your budget and they will tell you what your options are. I saw New Mexico because there are landowner tags available so you don't have to worry about drawing a tag.

dtrkyman

WKR
The New Mexico elk tag will kill your budget, and not even in the best units!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Private land Cow Elk hunts would be something to consider for your budget. Mule Deer with an outfitter on public land, or an area that’s not known for trophy bucks could likely be done, and definitely worthwhile.

When it comes to cost the things that escalate quickly are: Trophy potential, Private land, guaranteed tags, Logistics (Horses, boats, planes).

Marble

WKR
This is a classic case of analysis paralysis. And I mean that with all due respect.

Rarely does the first trip meet your expectations. The learning curve is high.

My advice is to just go. Go and make the best possible experience.

There isn't always a next time.

If I were you and wanted an elk hunt, I would do a drop camp. 5 days, sometimes up to 5 guys in camp, less than 2K a person and you'll get the benefit of possibly learning from some of the other guys in camp or whoever is your wrangler.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
You have a great wife!

I would consider a guided antelope hunt in New Mexico. Prices seem somewhat reasonable for a very big 'lope. Or Eastern Colorado.

Canada black bear, guided fly fishing for several days, texas exotic or audad sheep hunt, pigs, etc.. DO IT!

tciprick

FNG
Personally, I've never been able to justify the cost of an outfitter. My situation is a bit different, I have most of everything I want to hunt here in Alberta.

Let's use an example- I'm doing a DIY bighorn sheep hunt this year. A general tag for us residents, so long as it's a trophy sheep anyway. The cost for me to hunt this is just the process of the OTC tag. (Assuming you already have the gear) I've looked at a lot of local area outfitters for basically the exact hunt I'm doing and the prices are anyway from 80k to 120k. I didn't have all the gear I needed, so I spent a bit of money, but I'm doing this hunt for a total of less than 3k. I also have invested a little over a year of my time doing research, going in and scouting, making sure I'm physically ready and just generally prepping everything and planning every detail. It's a lot to do but I save myself tens of thousands of dollars.

The only times I use an outfitting service is for certain occasions. A local outfitter would charge locals 100 bucks to hunt his baited bear spot this spring. This is of course after his paying customers. Also would use an outfitter for a packout service on a solo elk or moose hunt. Barring those two things, I can't see myself ever coughing up obscene amounts of money to have someone hold my hand through the bush and do most of the work.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. A lot to consider and respond to. Thank you so much for your thoughts. Some very good ideas!

HuntWyld

WKR
I run a guide business in southern Oregon, website is livewildoutfitters.com. I’ll tailor the package to the needs of the hunter so if you don’t need or want all the food, wall tent, etc. provided and really just need a guide then that drops the price a fair bit and will put you well below the 5k$ mark.