Am buying a home with a view in Reno. Living the dream, boys.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Won't be on the ground in Reno for a few more months. Is there a good Reno trail to train for mountain hunts? What else do old guys do in the off-season? I might have a one more mountain hunt left in my old man legs once I am living year round above sea level. Got some NV bonus points I can dust off and toss in the squaring machine. So far, NV has gifted me one pronghorn, one mule deer and one elk adventure from my non-resident NV days. Medicine cabinet shown though is a bit light after having to battle a chest infection and fever most of July. Anyone drink bourbon in Reno?

Bourbon for thirsty types.jpg

Antares

WKR
Congrats on the new house! I'm not in Reno, but I know my way around a bottle of Blanton's...I'll PM you my address.

amassi

WKR
Fish pyramid lake when its open. 10-20# trout are fairly common and it's a short drive.
Lots of jeep/sxs trails to explore the surrounding desert
Great range down the road for when it's dry
Endless expanse of desert to shoot in when it's not.
Chukar if your into upland
Predators

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

bigmoose

WKR
Fish pyramid lake when its open. 10-20# trout are fairly common and it's a short drive.
Predators

Yep, I agree. Also the Truckee River from stateline down to Reno has some good year round fishing.

Being so close to Hell, I'm assuming the view is of Sparks? Plenty of places to hie around Reno, just head into the hills anywhere.

gearguywb

WKR
We have been kicking around the idea of Reno for some time. Really like the area. Housing prices are still a bit steep for me.

Love the proximity to the mountains in one direction, desert in the other. :)

Braaap

WKR
Off-season is easy. Ski/snowboard, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, fishing, hiking, etc. Pretty easy to do several of these activities in the same day. Don’t tell your friends.

Predators

Is it Pyramid lake that has those giant cutthroat trout? Years ago I was at Larry’s house and he had a huge cabinet full of “fishing the west” vhs tapes, both complete episodes and a bunch of raw footage he was putting on for me, and I remember them fly fishing from ladders they set out in the lake catching gigantic cutts, and I believe it was Pyramid

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Pyramid lake is great fishing. I used to fish in the winter there and catch trout. You wade or used a float tube when I lived there. Plenty of hills to hike just west of town near Mt. Rose or the lake if you want elevation change.

amassi

WKR
Is it Pyramid lake that has those giant cutthroat trout? Years ago I was at Larry’s house and he had a huge cabinet full of “fishing the west” vhs tapes, both complete episodes and a bunch of raw footage he was putting on for me, and I remember them fly fishing from ladders they set out in the lake catching gigantic cutts, and I believe it was Pyramid
Yes
The original strain was found some time ago in a tiny creek and have been reintroduced. Since then the fishing had gotten significantly better every year in size and numbers.
We boat fish trolling or jigging and 75-100 fish days aren't uncommon. 5# trout are so commonplace they become sort of a nuisance, really amazing lake.
The ladder fly game seems to catch bigger fish but just isn't my cup of tea

OP
TreeWalking

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
We are road-tripping to Reno this weekend and will see the balloon races and get more acquainted with the area. Pyramid Lake sounds like a dream. If I can camp there for a few days then I will have found my new getaway to re-connect with the outdoors.

Appreciate all the suggestions. As for the heat, have had a home in Scottsdale the past decade which I try to avoid May-September but sometimes I am there when is 115F which is not my cup of tea as can be 90F at sunrise those days. Winters are amazing, though. Reno is Scottsdale Light for summer weather in my view. Convince me otherwise. Go!

BadDogPSD

WKR
Reno is still a pretty good place to live. It's experiencing growing pains with quite a few refugees coming in from California. It's been a fairly hot summer with a bunch of days over 100 degrees... 105 yesterday. Plenty of hiking trails to the west that are in the trees and a bit cooler than the trails closer to Reno.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! I’m a pretty new transplant myself. Reach out when you get settled, and we can make introductions. I think people still do that……

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Try Hunter Creek trail up to the waterfall and back. Weekends are busier but you can go off trail if you want solitude. Good elevation gains on the trail but if you want to push yourself any of the hillsides between Verdi and Hunter creek will do it.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! Like others have said, you can chose your own adventure when it comes to hiking…the hills above hunter creek trail is one of my favorites. Park in one spot and do a ~7 mile trail run one direction, turn right and find some good sidehillin’, turn left and go straight up up! Feel free to shoot me a message if you’ve got questions!

OP
TreeWalking

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Back from the road trip. Was warmer than typical and smoke from the Mosquito Fire floated into Reno a couple of times during the visit. I may be a jinx as was at Tahoe for a week last year and heavy smoke settled in there during our stay.

The balloon race was not a scenic event as the smoke haze interfered.

Was amazed at the Truckee River being much more than a mere creek or stream. Locals seem to cast shade at the river but the water was moving in what I presume is a low flow with the snow melt finished. The trash tossed in the water was off-putting and hope efforts are made to fish out the road signs and bottles. I never saw a float tuber. I guess there is not a tube rental operator that then picks you up downstream then returns you to a parking lot.

Braaap

WKR
We had a nearly smoke free summer so as much as the smoke sucks right now we did well this summer. The river flow is typical for this time of year. And like most cities we have a serious problem with homeless people (drug addicts) and they use the river as a trash can. I’m not sure which section of river you saw but upstream of downtown is where people float. I wouldn’t get in the water from downstream of downtown. The city was about to get in trouble with the epa over the amount of fecal matter in the river from the homeless dirt bags living next to it. The city removed them from the river corridor once the new shelter opened so it has improved a bit.