Am I a huge jerk???

• Yes

Votes: 375 83.0%
  • No

Votes: 77 17.0%

• Total voters

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yes you’re a jerk. Yes your doing it for all the wrong reasons. Honestly at this point in your life, with a 12-13 year old son, I’m surprised you’re still at the stage where it’s all about you.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Yeah, I think your priorities are extremely different than mine. The fact you even have to ask is painful enough, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, your kid you can do what you want but jerk is putting my opinion of you very lightly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
@String&stick You may want to tag your other thread to this one

OP
S
@String&stick You may want to tag your other thread to this one

Thanks Svivian,

I've kinda quit paying much attention to the replies here lately other than laughing when someone dug it back up. Most are skipping over and not reading through (which I completely understand) so they aren't getting what I fully intended. I think your right maybe I'll tag the other thread and put some pics as an edit to the original post!

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm.. as a new day of seeing this post again, re-thinking about it. I guess it depends on how sure you feel that your kid won't blow the opportunity when that big buck comes sauntering thru?

Cause I mean... re-thinking it today... I could totally understand that if some giant came along, and you've been putting in all this work into knowing that spot.... and... if it's like out here where just finding the bucks is a task onto itself... I could see a person, if they were concerned about making sure that harvest happens and is successful... making the executive decision have your kid step aside for a second on a more rare specimen coming out.

But, it sounds like in your area, that there is a more plentiful number of bucks (even multiple species!) to potentially pass-by. So in that scenario, I'm thinking you'd just suck it up and let him have the try, since it's not like it'll be decades before you see another larger one. At least, doesn't sound like that from your description, per se.

Kgartside

FNG
I said no your not an ass hole. I may disagree with both your rules for a young kid but I don’t know you enough to call you an ass hole or a monster. In the 2019 and this season I killed two whitetail in Michigan that went 150. When and if my kids want to hunt they are going to shoot what ever they want until they get good at hunting and want to make the jump to shooting big deer

My opinion is you are either letting them hunt, or you are hunting. I have two girls who go with me from time to time and when they go, I am an observer and coach. If the equivalent of Hercules the Deer walks out, its their moment. Do I think you are a jerk? No. But if you've accomplished enough in your hunting career, it shouldn't matter what walks out.

Gotitbad

FNG
My Dad was a good shot and quick. If a bird or rabbit flushed in front of you he would get it before you had a chance. When I got a drivers license I could go on my own and I hunted less and less with Dad. By the time I graduated HS never.

spaniel

FNG
I'd let my boy shoot whatever comes by. If you teach them the true value of hunting, shooting a major trophy is not going to "ruin" them. The thought of telling them "this one's too big for you, boy, Dad's going to shoot it" actually makes me sick.

You're not claiming there is some arbitrary standard of what will ruin a kid, you are defining it by what forwards your own accomplishments. Big down-vote there...

No prouder moment that having a son or daughter have the opportunity to kill a quality buck, Had my youngest at thirteen take two running 35 lb. hogs at about 100 yards with a Ruger Model 77 Bolt Action in .223. He did a great job leading them and dropped them both with one shot on each. I let out a " Atta Boy!" and I was smiling and laughing the whole way over to them. He was beaming like a anti-aircraft light. We cooked one of them on the grill that weekend and the other for Easter weekend. Still a great memory we still talk about and he is 26 now. There are no do overs with time, once it's gone it's gone.

ChrisAU

WKR
Any deer at all will be a trophy to him - seems like a good way to make sure he doesn't like hunting IMO.

And I can't imagine hunting with my son and not letting him shoot one because it's too big and I want to shoot it.

PSA

FNG
Kinda like fishing. I take 'em where crappie are to make it easy. Then they will love fishing and evolve. No catch all day, not so much liking fishing when it's your first time going out. For me, I will let my grandson kill anything legal on his first hunt. The way I see it, it's for him to get hooked and have fun doing it more so then it is for my pleasure or recreation.

So, I won't vote because different strokes for different folks and it is your choice, but by asking the question, I suspect you have reservations about your initial rules. Do what is best for you and yours.

..actually I dont think "huge Jerk" takes it far enough. Hell you will be lucky if your kids want to hunt with you when they are teen agers with the attitude you are giving them.

Yoder

WKR
I've hunted for years and have never killed a giant buck. I don't think you're a jerk at all. If you make everything easy for your kids they won't appreciate it. When I took my boys hunting I just wanted to get them an opportunity to get a shot at something. As long as it was legal and they wanted to shoot it. I would never put a standard in place on public land for my boys or anyone else. I don't think it's a bad idea, It just wasn't important to me. I think if you are happy with the animal, it really doesn't matter if it's a mature buck. I have told my boys if a giant comes out, I would give them the first crack at it, then I would start shooting. I'm pretty sure it would go something like- He's right there, do you see him? Right there... My kid would say no for the fifth time looking through his scope then I would have to shoot it before it got away.