Am I a papucar?

Scrubbuck

FNG
Papucar. (Pa-poo-char) In Croatian this means a man that acts like a woman’s slipper. As in your woman walks all over you.

Well my very level headed wife and I had “the talk” last night. I didn’t draw my tag and so I am OTC CO this year again. So our talk discussed the 2nd wave, October, and flying from NJ to CO during the 2nd wave. She’s a very understanding woman that let’s me hunt solo in CO the last 2 years so pushing her makes me feel like I’m being a d!ck. She would rather I skip this year. I told her I would go out west every year for as long as I live. For context I will be 43 this season, I have 2 kids 10 and 7 and run my own machine shop. This virus has her understandably scared. She also doesn’t like the idea of me driving alone. What are my options? I hunt whitetails the rest of the season but look forward to some travel and adventure every fall. Any options for me? Any other folks from the east questioning their travel this fall?

pk_

WKR
I live in S FL and have hunted out of state every year of my hunting life.

The last 5 years the trips have gotten longer and further. Sometimes solo for up to 3 weeks, 25-30+hour one way trips. Many times my wife won’t know what state I will be in from one day to the next until I fill tags and get in touch with her about my next move... She just knows I am headed to the Midwest for a few weeks and I’ll be back when I run out of cooler space.

My wife has always been awesome about it.
But this year without her asking, my plans are to stick closer to home. For me that is one week trips and less than 15hour drive.

If I were in your situation I would look into doing a backpack whitetail trip in some mountains on the east coast. I know it isn’t the west and it isn’t elk or mule deer but it is much cheaper, closer to home and still quite an adventure.

Idk, just a thought.

We all have to do what we think is right for us and the ones we love, and live with our own consciences. Nobody can do that for us.

Having dispensed that little pearl, I'll be going to Wyoming on Sept. 30th, unless they close the state and keep me out.

WCB

WKR
My personal opinion...with all the stuff they have been wrong about with this pandemic and with all the craziness going on every where a "2nd wave" will be before Oct. This thing has disrupted enough of peoples lives with actually a very very slim chance of actually getting sick from it. I know, I know there is still a chance. I could get sucked up by a tornado also. If you choose not to fly I don't see the big deal in driving...maybe just plan on a couple extra days and take your time getting out there and back if that will ease her mind.

Unless the state I am going to shuts down hunting, I'm going. This thing has disrupted enough of peoples lives with Might help my wife is goin out of state hunting without me so definitely a different conversation in our house trying to coordinate trip dates so our 1 year old is taken care of.

Jimbob

WKR
My wife is more important than my hunting. However we understand each other and compromise.

Our anniversary is Aug 10th, sheep and goat season opens Aug 1 in BC, since moving to BC we don't celebrate our anniversary Aug 10 because I'm in the mountains. The date means nothing, but celebrating our marriage does so we just do it on a different date.

Talk with your wife and find an understanding, that might mean missing one year out west.

Reactions: lif
One of my good friends tested positive along with 6 members of his family, more probably had it that never got tested. His grandfather died from it last week but had pre-existing conditions, I believe leukemia at some point. The others all recovered including a great uncle and his grandmother. My friends only symptoms were a loss of taste and smell, he felt 100% through all of it. Just a little info to help your decision. I don't fear it at all.

BigDog00

WKR
Maybe I'm biased because I don't have to travel across the country, but you're going to the mountains not ground zero. You probably have a much higher chance of dying in a car accident on the way out then contracting the rona. I agree with the recommendation to turn off the news, we all could benefit from that advice.

Edit: You're flying not driving, but I'm sure you get my point

no way I’d miss an opportunity to head west over this nonsense, I drove from MA to ID last two years I’ve done trips like that solo a couple times it kinda sucks but better than being stuck with some dink. I’ll be flying this year and borrowing a friends truck

KBC

WKR
If she's pretty understanding most of the time you might want to look for a compromise. Taking off for extended periods of time is hard on the whole family you leave behind especially when you have kids. Ad in her fears (whether you think they are justified or not) sometimes you have to give up a little for the greater good of your family.

No kids and I'd just drive and avoid the germs of flying even if it meant a couple days less hunting.

TxxAgg

WKR
I figured driving was a reasonable compromise. Just sleep at a campground instead of a hotel.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife understands my hunting obsession. I try to include her a little bit more every year. This year I went for broke and put her in for tag drawings that have a very high chance. I told her the plan, that also consists of having my daughters 3rd birthday in elk camp because she was born the second day of elk season. She was on board so I'm very happy! I support her fishing addiction, she supports my hunting addiction.

brsnow

WKR
NJ has been hit incredibly hard with Covid, so it is probably a different conversation if you live where the impact was minimal.

Jaker_cc

WKR
My gf (soon to be fiancé) knows that I need to be in the mountains during hunting season for me to be who I am. Like many on here, I spend dang near every day planning, e scouting, researching, and preparing my body and gear just to head out west. This year she drew a good mule deer tag So she’s getting a trip completely devoted to her in November.

I’m also not a very nice person to be around if it’s elk season and I’m not chasing them. The mountains get me back to zero after putting up with the BS of city life most of the year.

brsnow

WKR
At the end of the day family is more important. My kids have late August and mid October birthdays, I schedule hunting around them. If something was keeping my wife up at night, worth taking notice. I still get plenty of time. Probably more than most.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
At the end of the day compromising with your wife is the best thing to do. If she feels that strongly about you not going you probably shouldn't. At the end of the day for me my wife is priority over my hunting, and she knows it. She also knows hunting is who I am, so she doesn't prohibit me. If you wife is as understanding as you say it shouldn't be hard to find a common ground.

Poser

WKR
Since it’s an OTC tag, just hold off on buying it until you get there. Plan your trip approximately, but if things have gone South socially and/or health wise, just pull the plug. You’d be out what? An airline cancellation fee?

I caught a case of Corona the other day only took a couple nights to kill it.
1591242958428.png