Am I being too nit picky?

bmicek

WKR
I did reach out to the manufacturer and waiting to hear back. But wanted to hear your thoughts. The first picture is the manufacturers photo and the second picture is my photo.

My intention was to find a camo pattern I could use in an open CRP/Grass field for spot and stalk/decoying deer. The manufacturers photo had a lot of tans/browns with minimal grays/darks. The camo I received seemed to have a lot more darks and much less tans/browns. To me it seems too dark to work well in that environment being there’s less shadows in open country.

Am I being unreasonable? Like I said, waiting on a reply back from the manufacturer.

B7F9A846-119D-4CBB-B20B-D0B1E9F9FFBB.jpeg

5ECEA67D-D768-4B71-BECA-3F86EC9F1407.jpeg

Yep. That is not outside the normal for variance i wouldn’t think.

But camo isnt for animals, its for humans. The pattern will break up your outline but it isnt camouflaging you from animals

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
Yep. That is not outside the normal for variance i wouldn’t think.

But camo isnt for animals, its for humans. The pattern will break up your outline but it isnt camouflaging you from animals
Thanks for your input. I was just more worried about the lights/darks and not the pattern itself. I figured a dark figure would stand out more than a light figure in my scenario.

In your situation movement will be the thing that sticks out. Minimize that as much as possible and you should he fine wearing whatever camo/non-camo you want. Scent is also ultra important so make sure you always approach from the upwind side of things. A deer alerted from a scent it doesnt know will bolt at the slightest movement, but a deer that is calm and doesnt smell you will be sorta ok when it detects your movement as long as you are careful.

Remember, deer eyes rotate so they can catch the horizon/horizontal when browsing, so just because they are eating does not mean they wont see your movement. Spot and stalk requires a bunch of patience and significant skill/luck.

Good luck!

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
In your situation movement will be the thing that sticks out. Minimize that as much as possible and you should he fine wearing whatever camo/non-camo you want. Scent is also ultra important so make sure you always approach from the upwind side of things. A deer alerted from a scent it doesnt know will bolt at the slightest movement, but a deer that is calm and doesnt smell you will be sorta ok when it detects your movement as long as you are careful.

Remember, deer eyes rotate so they can catch the horizon/horizontal when browsing, so just because they are eating does not mean they wont see your movement. Spot and stalk requires a bunch of patience and significant skill/luck.

Good luck!
Appreciate the help 👍

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
No offense, camo isnt gonna make or break deer hunting. You’re thinking too hard. Just watch Dan infalt videos fir proof…

Nice camo though!
I’m not caught up in the pattern itself. I just figured a dark figure on a light backdrop is obvious to a deer. But I probably am over thinking it a bit.

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
The general consensus is, I’m being too picky. Thanks for the help on the subject. I know the pattern itself is irrelevant, I was always under the impression that a dark figure on a light background was a no-no but I stand corrected. Thanks to everyone for the help.

There are plenty of dark figures on light backgrounds in nature, for example, boulders and tree trunks. However those objects do not move. The rods and cones of deer are very different from ours and much much more sensitive to picking up movement, even from over a mile away. Keep in mind that the placement of deer's eyes on their head allow them to see 300 degrees. So in short, they only have a 60 degree blind spot. In short, if you have more than one deer you are trying to sneak up on, the odds are that at least one of them WILL see you move, despite any camo you are wearing, including leafy suits. However, I have successfully moved in extreme slow motion.

Camo is just a fashion show unless you’re hunting or being hunted by other humans.
That said, yeah, there’s more variation between the photo and the product than I’d put up with.

Honyock

WKR
A lot of deer have been killed by people not wearing camo. 99 out of 100 times, it's scent and movement that's an issue and not the brand or color of the camo.