Am I crazy for looks at trucks right now?

xOttox

FNG
I've been helping my father-in-law look for a new truck/SUV. Mainly I've been focused on his vehicles trade value but got curious last night and punched the information for my 2013 Nissan crew cab SV into Carvana. The truck has 73,000 mi on it and they are offering $400 less than what I paid for the truck 5 years ago when it 20k and change on it.

Am I insane to think about selling it to them and trying to find something different? The market is insane but in the small towns surrounding where I live there are some solid deals on a handful of full size trucks. They are not abundant but there are some low mileage ones out for reasonable (considering current climate), I just have a drive a few hours.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
X

xOttox

FNG
Thank you for confirming sir.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A buddy of mine recently took his one ton, dually diesel in for some minor repairs. A salesman at the dealer approached him and asked if would be interested in selling his truck, he replied no. The salesman said you haven't hear my offer. He heard him out. They were going to offer him $4500 less than he paid for it three years (and ~ 30,000 miles) ago! He thought there was a catch, but there wasn't and he sold it. Took him a while, but he ended finding a new truck in North Dakota (he lives in Northwest MT) and they delivered it at no cost.

Some crazy prices for used trucks these days.

Trucks are high. I would suggest getting a good deal on a replacement before you sell your current one. It will be a challenge to find a decent truck at a decent price right now.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
My 2019 Ram Cummins is worth more today than when I bought it 12 k miles
It’s crazy had a guy approach me wanting to buy it out right. Considering to get a higher mileage Tundra. The Dodge is more truck than I need since were considering selling our trailer

OP
X

xOttox

FNG
Have been looking at a smaller dealership in the town I live in for '16 RAM 2500 Tradesman they have had for close 4 months now. Hopefully they will deal a bit. If they don't I'll sit on my truck for a bit. Things are insane and I don't need a new truck but want one after a few years of towing through the sand hills with a midsize V6.

EastMT

WKR
I bought my truck (2500hd) 7 years ago in March for $31,000 with 12,000 miles. Now it has 99k and I see them all the time for 27-28-29k in that mileage range. 7 years and down about 10% or so, that’s never happened in history as far as I know.

If you need one, you need one. I don’t think with China on rolling blackouts, manufacturers working 2 days a week due to power constraints, the situation is going to improve any time soon.

Couple that with most manufacturers going to EV in +/-8 years, most will be hybrid in a couple years, I’m keeping mine till the axles fall off, then I’m getting new axles!

I do think if you want a good pure gas truck for a long time, the window is narrowing in the next few years. I don’t know how it plays out but when you have basically every car company saying all EV by 2030, I can’t see the prices dropping as the supply dwindles.

It’s an unknown how this plays out at this point

Tod osier

WKR
I've been helping my father-in-law look for a new truck/SUV. Mainly I've been focused on his vehicles trade value but got curious last night and punched the information for my 2013 Nissan crew cab SV into Carvana. The truck has 73,000 mi on it and they are offering $400 less than what I paid for the truck 5 years ago when it 20k and change on it.

Am I insane to think about selling it to them and trying to find something different? The market is insane but in the small towns surrounding where I live there are some solid deals on a handful of full size trucks. They are not abundant but there are some low mileage ones out for reasonable (considering current climate), I just have a drive a few hours.

buy the replacement first would be a safe way to go.

Buying used yes...buying new, If you can wait for delivery, no. Ordered a new F250 in Feb delivered 8-1. I could sell it right now for 15k more than I paid for it. The supply shortage has removed the 10k depreciation hit you take on a new vehicle when you drive it off the lot.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure if you’re not picky about trim, options, and color, you can find a decent truck somewhere. Just make sure you do as @ranchhand02 said and get the deal lined up before selling yours.

ohoopee

WKR
My son's best friend texted him yesterday. He was at a
Mercedes dealer repairing his car. They were asking 150k over
dealer sticker for a new Mercedes on the lot.

Northpark

WKR
You guys got me curious. My 2015 Silverado is now worth exactly the same as I paid for it and I put 60,000 miles on it since I bought it used in 2017.

It’s all paid off though and I’m not itching to have vehicle payments again even though with my trade in value I could get a brand new Silverado off the lot with a monthly payment of only about $400 for 72 months.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
My son's best friend texted him yesterday. He was at a
Mercedes dealer repairing his car. They were asking 150k over
dealer sticker for a new Mercedes on the lot.
Yeah, and people are selling their production slots for Broncos for $90k profit.

$150k over sticker is pretty ridiculous. Perhaps they are doing it for the publicity. The Merc dealers near me seem to be sticking with MSRP.

Resale on those in 3 years’ time will definitely make a lot of people regret their choice to go in on a frenzy for particular cars and trucks, I’m sure.

There are deals to be had. I just bought a new Ford at X plan pricing. Join EAA or mustang club of america for $40 a year and wait 90 days and you’ll get a pin code for X plan (invoice). I ordered a new F350 lariat and paid 5k under msrp when most places are marking up 5-10k OVER msrp. They also bought my 2019 F150 with 30k miles for $500 less than I paid for it new. (They gave me 37.5k).

Moserkr

WKR
Sold my ‘18 ram 2500 ctd with 52k mi for $2k more than i paid for it brand new. Was able to find trucks for the business at msrp. I like the advice above to get under msrp, but at least it wasnt marked $5-10k over which is common on the coasts now. Middle America seems to be more reasonable. Not sure when the insanity is going to end and holding out on anything else for at least the next 3 years.

When they are asking more than what vehicles are worth for used cars, its easy to see why people want the new ones instead. The place that bought my truck was a used car dealership and it was full of vehicles, whereas the new car dealerships are empty of new ones and full of used cars…. Just food for thought. Private party is where its at if you have cash and wait for the right deal.

archp625

WKR
I wouldnt because you would be in the worst market as a buyer. If you had a second vehicle just sitting there and you didnt really use it then yes sell that now. I feel like you missed the good bubble with car/truck sales about 6 months ago though.