Am I crazy for looks at trucks right now?

IdahoElk

WKR
Are banks really financing vehicles that are way over bluebook? I've never financed a vehicle before and have no idea?

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Are banks really financing vehicles that are way over bluebook? I've never financed a vehicle before and have no idea?
I imagine if you paid enough cash to bring the price down to bluebook, the bank wouldn’t care how crazy the price is.

I will go the other way and say no, you are not crazy. Yes, truck prices are crazy but so are trade in values. Its basically a wash if you have a truck to sell or trade since you are getting such a high price for it.

DirtJones

FNG
I'm asking myself the same question. If I had a trade-in, I would be more inclined to purchase. I'm holding out for some private party that doesn't know how high the market has gotten. I have a feeling I'll be holding out for a while

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I ordered a new truck in April after I was offered 12k less than I paid for it new, 5 years ago, !00,000k on it.
The new truck I ordered did not reflect the increase in price like the used are seing. It was a no brainer and they even signed the appraisel saying they would hold the trade in price until the new truck arrived.
I put on 11k more on the trade in truck on my first trip out west this fall.

New truck is due this week. If you can find a dealer that is not jacking up the new prices, you can get ahead right now. Mine sold me the new truck 5k under MSRP.

Curiosity got the best of me in august. Went to see what i could get for trade in on my 2018 Silverado 1500 LT z71 with 60k miles. They gave 2k less than I bought it for new. Got a 2021 trail boss fresh off the truck for 5k under sticker.
Im far from any sort of financial guru but that sounded good enough to me!

DirtJones

FNG
Was the new truck price given to you because you had a trade in? Or do they offer that to anyone willing to buy?

Was the new truck price given to you because you had a trade in? Or do they offer that to anyone willing to buy?
Can’t remember if that was the tail end of 4th of July sale, it was something of that sort. It was expiring that day(aug 1-4th ish). Seems like often enough theres a similar discount going on

Jim2914

FNG
I can tell you I have a 2020 F250 super cab with ~8000 miles and the dealership is offering what I paid for the truck to buy it back. They have no new F250 and used only last days.

A friend has a 2016 tahoe he bought 2 years ago and the dealer called and offered to buy it back for mor than he paid With 25k more miles on it. Used car prices are insane. Depending on what you are looking for, new car prices are just as insane. I called on a keep grand Cherokee L a few months ago. Dealers opening bid was $17k over MSRP. I said that I understood it was the first year they were making them but who was going to pay that price. He basically said he had one and with the screwed up supply chain he didn’t when he would get any more. He was going to hold onto it until he found his fool.

You guys are killin me. Have a ‘16 f150 with 113k miles on it. It’s paid for but I wonder how many more years I want to keep it as I have little appetite for maintenance and reliability issues as vehicles get older. Tempted to look for something fresh based on discrepancy between used and new values right now and the gut feeling that prices on anything aren’t going to go down..