Am I crazy?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
So im trying my best to shave weight for solo elk hunts. My primary weapon for that would normally be a Rem 700 300WM. Problem is, I think it weighs in over 10lbs with a full mag and optic. So I am toying with the idea of trying my 12.5" .458 Socom AR in the backcountry. I know many say they would never take the AR platform as a backcountry rifle. But I tend to lead toward "if its relaible, take it", particularly if it is adequate for taking down big game humanely, save a ton of weight, and is a much more compact package in the back country which is a huge plus. I realize I would be limiting my range to 200yds. And that is my biggest hang up. Would I be able to spot and stalk and close that much distance? Would I be limited to calling them in like a bow hunter? Am I crazy to even consider it? If Im going with a group and weight and gear is distributed more efficiently, Im sure Id just take the bolt gun. But solo is a different story. Id love to hear some other opinions on this.

elkguide

WKR
Don't you just love a "good reason" to buy a new rifle?!?!

If you don't want to work on lightening up your existing 700, then to me a new rifle would be in order. I am a big fan of .30 caliber for elk so you are on the right track there. Limiting yourself to 200 yards is just that.... limiting. Definitely doable but limiting. For me a back country rifle should weigh, when fully dressed with scope, sling, ammo, between 8 and 9 pounds. I have many true lightweight rifles but when I get serious about my elk hunting, I always grab one of my .30's in the 8 - 9 pound range.

Good luck making a great time happen.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Don't you just love a "good reason" to buy a new rifle?!?!

If you don't want to work on lightening up your existing 700, then to me a new rifle would be in order. I am a big fan of .30 caliber for elk so you are on the right track there. Limiting yourself to 200 yards is just that.... limiting. Definitely doable but limiting. For me a back country rifle should weigh, when fully dressed with scope, sling, ammo, between 8 and 9 pounds. I have many true lightweight rifles but when I get serious about my elk hunting, I always grab one of my .30's in the 8 - 9 pound range.

Good luck making a great time happen.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I tend to agree on all points. But I actually already have both rifles, so the money is already spent. As far as lightening the WM, the only option I really have is to shorten the barrel from 24 to 20 inches. Which wont be much but it would make it more compact also, which I like. But the .458 Socom at 12.5" only weighs about 7.5 with optic and ammo. And ULTRA compact. Which I LOVE.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for the response. Yeah I tend to agree on all points. But I actually already have both rifles, so the money is already spent. As far as lightening the WM, the only option I really have is to shorten the barrel from 24 to 20 inches. Which wont be much but it would make it more compact also, which I like. But the .458 Socom at 12.5" only weighs about 7.5 with optic and ammo. And ULTRA compact. Which I LOVE.
I think what he's saying is you should get another rifle because there is clearly a "need" at this point!

I wouldn't shorten your 700, but look into a lighter stock or optic. I would think muzzle blast out if a 20" 300WM might be quite unpleasant but I don't have any experience with it.

I'm applying the finishing touches to a Wildcat Composites stock for a 700 and this thing is sweet! Last I weighed it was just over 19 oz...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think what he's saying is you should get another rifle because there is clearly a "need" at this point!

I wouldn't shorten your 700, but look into a lighter stock or optic. I would think muzzle blast out if a 20" 300WM might be quite unpleasant but I don't have any experience with it.

I'm applying the finishing touches to a Wildcat Composites stock for a 700 and this thing is sweet! Last I weighed it was just over 19 oz...

You'd money and pounds ahead just to buy a ruger American or tikka in '08 cartridge family.. hornady precision ammo and kill stuff.

Most people are cart in front of the horse when it comes to weight. Ounce smart pound foolish ilk.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider

Ok. I see what he did there now. Ok. What is a good lightweight rifle in .30 that doesnt cost more than $700. Nonexistent, right? lol

elkguide

WKR

I don't find a .300 Win Mag at 20" much fun to shoot. I was referring to a lighter stock and/or optics. I have several .30 caliber rifles that range from 6# 11oz to 12# (best elk medicine/all around hunting caliber in my opinion) and when I head to the high country I find myself carrying an 8 - 9 pound rifle with either a 24" or a 26" barrel as I find that they carry, swing, point and are ones that I'm able to hold on target and hit my target best in any of the crazy positions that hunting gets me into.

davsco

WKR
Ok. I see what he did there now. Ok. What is a good lightweight rifle in .30 that doesnt cost more than $700. Nonexistent, right? lol

sportsmans warehouse showing tikka superlite 300wm for $750. i just got a lefty tikka t3x lite 300wsm off gb for $800 delivered.

Are you going to be hunting out West? Looks like you’re in NC.

Have you traveled with an SBR before? I have several and have taken a few Classes with them in different States.

The experience at the airport alone made me question if I’d do it again. You know that you have to get written permission from the ATF to travel across State lines each time, right? Whether driving or flying - doesn’t matter.

I’d really be concerned that even if legal in “X” State, that all PD and Game Wardens I might encounter wouldn’t understand the Tax Stamp Paperwork, ATF Permisson Letter, etc...

For that reason alone, I’d say it’s not worth the hassle. My 2 cents ...

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to be hunting out West? Looks like you’re in NC.

Have you traveled with an SBR before? I have several and have taken a few Classes with them in different States.

The experience at the airport alone made me question if I’d do it again. You know that you have to get written permission from the ATF to travel across State lines each time, right? Whether driving or flying - doesn’t matter.

I’d really be concerned that even if legal in “X” State, that all PD and Game Wardens I might encounter wouldn’t understand the Tax Stamp Paperwork, ATF Permisson Letter, etc...

For that reason alone, I’d say it’s not worth the hassle. My 2 cents ...

Actually it is a "pistol". But Im not sure that matters. Definitely something to consider. Also, my understanding is you can mail a weapon to yourself in another state, without going through an FFL. My GF is a flight attendant so I fly for free if I fly standby. And there is no way I would check a weapon flying standby. If i dont get on the flight it could get there hours, days before me. So Im hoping to ship it and my gear in advance. Do you know if the same issues apply for a AR pistol w/ an SBA3 brace?

- - - Updated - - -

sportsmans warehouse showing tikka superlite 300wm for $750. i just got a lefty tikka t3x lite 300wsm off gb for $800 delivered.

You guys are gonna get me divorced! I have a CZ P-09 i could sell to help pay for it.... lol

If it’s a pistol, then the SBR advice would not apply to it.

You’d need to check with the specific Airline and TSA about transporting an AR Pistol with a Brace. I’m sure they are legal in all States, but you will need to be sure. Also, magazine capacity laws by State as well while you’re at it just to be safe.

I’d also make sure that I understand specific State’s handgun hunting laws. Is it legal to hunt with a handgun and are there any caliber restrictions, etc... for a specific State and for a specific animal in that State?

Again, it would be “easier” to hunt with a rifle - but that’s only my opinion.

tdhanses

WKR

Here you go https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...-rifle-ndash-blued-black/2313227.uts?slotId=6

300wm is 6.3lbs 24” barrel

308win is 5.9lbs 20” barrel

Both cost $629

- - - Updated - - -

I would go with a tikka over a Rem 700 but if you like the 700’s https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...l-sps-bolt-action-rifles/1368625.uts?slotId=6

What is your current m700 setup? Wood stock? What optics? Scope mounts? Seems awful heavy unless it’s a sendero. You might be able to reduce the weight by quite a bit depending on your current setup. Also I don’t think I would take a 458 into the backcountry for elk but that’s more of a personal choice due to shot distances and bullet selection.

JFK

WKR
I don’t know a ton about the 458 but my brother in law has an upper for his AR in that caliber. I asked him about it once as I saw it in his safe and he told me it was fun to shoot once in a while but basically worthless for any type of real world application as it was solely designed for close quarter combat...like 50 yards and less. Check out how much that round drops at 100, 200 yards. It’s a brick.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Do the GF and the wife know about each other?

Technically GF. But we have been together for 12 years so I would consider it a divorce. But cheaper. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know a ton about the 458 but my brother in law has an upper for his AR in that caliber. I asked him about it once as I saw it in his safe and he told me it was fun to shoot once in a while but basically worthless for any type of real world application as it was solely designed for close quarter combat...like 50 yards and less. Check out how much that round drops at 100, 200 yards. It’s a brick.

THe ballistics are very similar to a 45-70 and uses the same bullets, which has been a popular dangerous game round for a long time. Is it a flat shooter? No. But its such a heavy bullet its still got tons of energy at 200yds. Plenty to take an elk I assume. More accurate at 150 though for sure. But hey, bow hunters get them at 35yds! LOL

Here is what I see happening -

You say screw it and hunt with your 458 because it already sounds like you want to and you’re resistant to buying a gun for this purpose. You go on some hunts with it, and on one of these hunts it’s inevitable that you’ll find yourself 400 yards from animals, you’ll try to close the distance but they’ll spook before you get into range(maybe the wind changes, who knows) and you’ll sit there with your gun, feel stupid, and THEN you’ll go out and buy a rifle for this purpose.

You could save yourself that heartache - just buy it now and be done.

LandYacht

WKR
Carry your 300 WM. 2 pounds on your rifle will not be that big of a deal. Guaranteed you can save two pounds somewhere, even if it’s nothing more than a healthy #2 before you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk