Am I crazy?

howl

WKR
Yep. The basic centerfire battery is a 5.56 AR and a .308 sporter. You got weird stuff. Fun, but weird for general duty hunting. Do the current rigs match some use you regularly put them to where you are now? If not, dump them for quality examples of the basic battery and get the fun stuff again later.

I realize this is boring to think about, but shooting basic stuff a lot and getting good at it is more fun than tinkering with cool toys.

jspradley

WKR
If you already have it and the setup is legal wherever you are going to be hunting and if the gun's capabilities (and yours!) match what you are going after then why not?

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Alright. What caliber should I be looking at? lol 300WM seems stout for a 6lb rifle.

howl

WKR
.308 is about as much as most people will shoot much in a light rifle, .308 target ammo is the cheapest

Apollo117

WKR
.308 is about as much as most people will shoot much in a light rifle, .308 target ammo is the cheapest
Yep. I've got both .308 and .270 sub 6 pound rifles. They're as much as I want to shoot without a brake.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 300 WSM and maybe even a .300 with a good brake.

I'd say if you had a few years of experience bow hunting elk then you could probably get away with it. If all your western experience is just getting with in 500-700 yards and taking your shot, I'd just get a new rifle. On a budget I'd go with a T3x lite in 270 WSM and switch the scope on your 300 WM over to it. If you had room in your budget after that I'd look into a compact 3-9 scope unable to be used as a boat anchor. To be honest I can't think of many situations where something as compact as your AR pistol would be an advantage elk hunting. If cover is so thick you can't maneuver an 18"-20" rifle barrel to take a shot, then it's likely to thick to ever get a shot in.

I have a hard time seeing you shoot an ar pistol anywhere near as accurately as a bolt rifle in a hunting situation.

Some people kill nice bulls with revolvers but they are handicapping themselves and you would be too.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
All good points. Thanks for the replies. Anyone using 6.5Creedmore on elk? Ive been wanting to add one to the stable.

howl

WKR
I'd look at 6.5x55 instead of the Creedmoor for hunting. Loaded to the same pressure, the greater powder capacity of the 6.5x55 carries more smack. And the ammo is cheaper due to it being so popular where cheap target ammo is made.

Apollo117

WKR
Interesting suggestion, but I disagree on the 6.5x55 over the 6.5 CM. The increased case capacity is negligible. Ammo is not as readily available as the 6.5 CM. And the 6.5x55 is a long action cartridge. If you're going to use a long action there are many better options in the 6.5 caliber than the 6.5x55.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, so Ive done some numbers and for about $1400 I can have a Tikka superlite 7mm Mag with a Trijicon accupoint. That would cut about 3.2lbs off the weight of my weapon system. It would cost me upwards of $3000 replacing other pieces of my kit to lose that much weight. I can't afford not to buy a new rifle, right? lol

Im open for scope ring and optic suggestions.