Am I crazy...

willtim

WKR
...to build a lightweight 338 Win Mag? My thoughts are a 22 inch Bartlein carbon wrapped barrel mated to an Anti X action in an AGC Privateer stock. I'm guessing around seven pounds. No brake but maybe a can. I'm not recoil sensitive but I don't want to get pounded, either. Thanks for any and all advice. And yes, 338 WM only.

gbflyer

WKR
I don’t think that is crazy or too short. I think the Ruger’s in 375 and 338 RCM are 22”. There may not be a big weight advantage with a carbon fiber barrel at that length, seems like the payoff on those happens with 26” or more when comparing to a reasonable conventional contour. But they do look cool. A 7lb magnum anything is gonna be a little lively, everyone has their own tolerance for that. Adding a suppressor would really tame it down.

I wouldn’t want to shoot that, but if you’re truly not recoil sensitive and that’s what fits your needs then go for it. Personally I wouldn’t pick a 338WM unless I was hunting grizzlies or African game.

wyosteve

WKR
My .338 WM weights 4 3/4 bare and 6 1/4 scope, sling, and ammo. Shoots like a dream. I've used it from prairie dogs to grizzly. Go for it!

OP
W

willtim

WKR
Out of curiosity, what are you going to hunt that would require a 338WM?
Elk hunt in grizzly country, Alaska, and nostalgia. I have a 7mm-08 and a 7mm RM. One is a short range woods gun and one is long range. I thought about a 300 WM but that's too close to my 7mm RM. I handload but want to stay with a traditional cartridge in case the airlines, etc lost my ammo.

Shouldn't be an issue if it's done right, and especially not if you put a can on it. I shortened a 338 wm tikka t3x to 20" and put an AB 10 baffle suppressor on and it's very nice to shoot. Less than 8.5 lbs fully dressed and with the can. It shoots 210 ttsx at about 2860 fps under 1 MOA. When it was 24" and without the can shooting 225 ttsx at about the same speed, it was a bit much but it's a completely different animal now. Every time I shoot it I gain confidence that I could go in a similar direction with a 338 RUM.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Shouldn't be an issue if it's done right, and especially not if you put a can on it. I shortened a 338 wm tikka t3x to 20" and put an AB 10 baffle suppressor on and it's very nice to shoot. Less than 8.5 lbs fully dressed and with the can. It shoots 210 ttsx at about 2860 fps under 1 MOA. When it was 24" and without the can shooting 225 ttsx at about the same speed, it was a bit much but it's a completely different animal now. Every time I shoot it I gain confidence that I could go in a similar direction with a 338 RUM.
I wish Id gotten a tikka in 338 when they were making them.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka 338, weighs 7.2 lbs with the scope. No brake, no can. It isn't a joy to shoot at the bench but my favorite to carry in the mountains.

My Browning X-bolt with Trijicon goes 8 lbs 9 oz. 26" barrel, no brake or suppressor. 210s at 2925 fps weren't bad at all. Working through 250gr hand loads on the bench wasn't exactly pleasant. Shooting from fields positions were fine.

The Xbolt recoil pad is excellent and the rifle fits me well. I may cut the barrel a couple of inches, but wouldn't want to go much lighter. I'm thinking 9# would be about perfect for me.

Trr15

WKR
I’ve got a 7.5lb (scoped) .338 wm with no brake. It’s not fun on the bench, but it’s awfully handy in the mountains. One of my favorite rifles.

ldmay375

FNG
...to build a lightweight 338 Win Mag? My thoughts are a 22 inch Bartlein carbon wrapped barrel mated to an Anti X action in an AGC Privateer stock. I'm guessing around seven pounds. No brake but maybe a can. I'm not recoil sensitive but I don't want to get pounded, either. Thanks for any and all advice. And yes, 338 WM only.
I am in the process of completing a somewhat lighter weight 338 Winchester. It is a Kimber Montana presently with the 26" factory barrel and a Leica 2.5-10x42 ERi scope. As is, it weighs 8 # .03 ounces.
The barrel has an appointment with the gunsmith to be trimmed to either 23-1/2 or 23-1/4". Probably will not lose but a couple of ounces on the barrel trim. But should make it a bit handier.
My old school 24" Ruger Mark II with Pacific Research stock and 1.5-6x42 scope weighs 8# 10.8 ounces. I have debated trimming it to 22". I have M70 New Haven Classic with a 22-1/2ish barrel. It is being bedded into a new stock so do not have a weight on it.
I am fan of the 338 Winchester. And very fond on the 20-22" barrels in several larger bore cartridges.

I have one of the Kimber Montana's in 325 WSM with a 22-1/4" barrel with 1.5-6x42 scope that weighs 7# 4 ounces. I have not shot it since the barrel trim, but it only lost 2-3 ounces. I really liked carrying this rifle prior. I like it better now.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Just depends.
I had one of them boat paddle Ruger 77's in .300WM once.
Sold it after shooting one box of ammo. Like getting kicked by a mule
every time i pulled the trigger.
I now have a Rem.700 in .300WM thats a pleasure to shoot.
And it kicks more than a guide's .300 UM I shot once. Go figure.
My Ruger, .375 Ruger Alaskan is not bad at all, but a guide
let me shoot his .338 Win once,,,,,just once was enough.
Just never know.