Am I going muzzleloader hunting?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm virtually certain I didn't draw a muzz tag in Utah and know I didn't draw CO, so that leaves NV or a possible Landowner tag in CO (has to be pretty cheap for this deer hunter.)

I'm hoping for NV as it's closer to home and don't want to shell out the $500 bucks for a CO landowner tag (if I can find one for that), so COME ON NEVADA...

Should know in a day or two...

Sure would like to blow some smoke at a big mule deer this fall.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
So consulted my source last night, draw is definitely today, check cc tonight for a charge, results posted possibly tomorrow but no later than 17:00 Friday.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
THanks Dr
my mojos low since no cc hit from UT!

Great, we might even know tonight. I feel better now :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok between NV and UT, I had 19 points, did NOT apply for premium tags and still did NOT draw (that is why I'm not a big advocate of making every unit/state a draw if not needed, odds get way to long way too soon, but that's another thread.)

So my last choice option for a muzz hunt is to either apply in Idaho (tough odds, so can't count on that tag) or find a cheap LO tag in Colorado, of which I'm gettting one lined up.

So, I'm going muzz hunting after all- praise the Lord 'eh?

Since I"ll be hunting in a pretty tradtional muzz state, I'll be shooting conicals as sabots aren't allowed in Colorado. I'm researching options right now and will keep you posted on what I come up with.

I shoot a 45 cal Kahnke as shown earlier in the "Big Mule Deer Here I Come" thread, with a 1:28 twist, so I'll need heavier bullets to get the best accuracy. CO actually allows 209 primers, but my gun won't shoot them, so I'll stay with musket caps, of which I've had great luck (#11's are good, but to small for my fat fingers and end up in the dirt.)

Colorado also requires granular powder which I like anyway for accuracy and in theory should ignite easier (due to much more surface area).

Stay posted as this hunt comes together and any advice on guns and Colorado muzz huting is welcome.

Lord willin' I"ll be there preseason for a scout and hopefully can find a good buck or two.

Ok between NV and UT, I had 19 points, did NOT apply for premium tags and still did NOT draw (that is why I'm not a big advocate of making every unit/state a draw if not needed, odds get way to long way too soon, but that's another thread.)

So my last choice option for a muzz hunt is to either apply in Idaho (tough odds, so can't count on that tag) or find a cheap LO tag in Colorado, of which I'm gettting one lined up.

So, I'm going muzz hunting after all- praise the Lord 'eh?

Since I"ll be hunting in a pretty tradtional muzz state, I'll be shooting conicals as sabots aren't allowed in Colorado. I'm researching options right now and will keep you posted on what I come up with.

I shoot a 45 cal Kahnke as shown earlier in the "Big Mule Deer Here I Come" thread, with a 1:28 twist, so I'll need heavier bullets to get the best accuracy. CO actually allows 209 primers, but my gun won't shoot them, so I'll stay with musket caps, of which I've had great luck (#11's are good, but to small for my fat fingers and end up in the dirt.)

Colorado also requires granular powder which I like anyway for accuracy and in theory should ignite easier (due to much more surface area).

Stay posted as this hunt comes together and any advice on guns and Colorado muzz huting is welcome.

Lord willin' I"ll be there preseason for a scout and hopefully can find a good buck or two.

Keep us posted on your progress Robby. I plan to burn my 20+ Colorado elk points on a muzzleloader tag here in the next couple years. The thing I am most interested in sorting out between now and then are the best open sights for that hunt. So far I have had the best success with peep sights, but have really not liked the front sights I have used as they can cover up a lot of the target. Cecil over at Precision Bullets recommended that I go with an XS ghost ring for the rear sight and a white line Patridge front sight. I am thinking of putting one on my muzzleloader this year for a hunt my wife will draw here in Oregon. What open sights do you like?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently using the XS, there is some pics of it on the "Big Mule Deer Here I come" thread.

I like them, but to be honest, haven't used anytihing else.

They are durable, and love the adjustable peeps and their customer service has been good.\

If you've got 20+ elk points in Colorado, you are nearly in a leauge of your own. I'm sure you're already scouting down there and if not, make sure you vist some of the potential units when you're down on your Utah hunt- you won't regret it.

Wow, 20 points! God bless you!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I know I'm going to Colorado for the muzz hunt, I'm moving new info from me on this thread over to the "Big Mule Deer Here I come:)" thread. If you want to follow the hunt from planning, tuning the gun, to the scout, to the hunt, that's where I'll post. Thanks