Am I missing something?

So I’m really looking at buying a 4 season tent and after comparing a lot of different tents I have it narrowed down to either a Tarptent double rainbow or the new Stone Glacier tent. While I was researching this tent I found the Slingfin version of the Stone Glacier tent on Backcountry.com for substantially less that what SG has it priced for. Other than colors, are there any differences? Cause I couldn’t find any and wondered if any experts knew. Am I missing something? Or should I just buy the slingfin version and put some money in my pocket?

OP
passinggas33
And for a little more background about this decision, I already have a Redcliff plus stove for when a couple of us go, so I’m really looking for a floored 4 season for just me and occasionally two. That is why I looked at these two options. Thanks in advance for anybody’s thoughts.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Where are you seeing it for substantially less on backcountry.com? The Crossbow 2 4 season is the Slingfin version and it's only $16 less than the SG version. The 3 season Crossbow 2 version is 479, but you asked about a 4 season tent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
Yes. Those are the prices, but you can find a 20% off coupon for backcountry making it quite a bit less.

OP
passinggas33
That is true. I did withhold. I’m sneaky like that ;-). And I’m also cheap. I never buy anything unless it is on sale or I have a coupon. It drives my wife crazy. So, now that all the facts are out there, what are everybody’s thoughts? Buy the slingfin and save the money? Or does the stone Glacier have some features that I am missing?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm pretty sure it's just a color change. I was in Campsaver yesterday for their spring sale and it's a miracle I didn't spend $1k in there lol. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of sales when they're offered.

OP
passinggas33
Thank you Rusty. I had some serious doubts about it and had plans to call tarptent tomorrow and see why they felt this way. I couldn’t see it though it says it is with a solid liner. It just doesn’t look like it has enough beef for me. Thanks for the input.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Scarp would be the 4 season option from Tarptent, or the Hogback if you wanted a lot of room.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I just think that in order to consider something true four season, it needs to handle at least a moderate snow load. The Double Rainbow has a single lengthwise ridge pole and a tiny cross-strut. Not nearly enough structure to hold up any snow. I've had this tent for about 12 years, I believe. It's a great design, and I've used it a TON. Awesome three season shelter, just wouldn't run it if any significant snowfall was expected. TT has beefier models, as Sneaky mentioned. The Scarp is pretty bomber.

C Bow

WKR
Why don't you call Stone Glacier and talk to them and explain your situation They are great people and may can help. Just be honest with them mb

OP
passinggas33
That’s a great idea. They have been great to work with in the past and I assume they will do so again. Thanks for all the ideas. I’ll have to research the scarp a little more as well. Thanks again.