Am I on the right track?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a tikka 300wm that gets most of the action nowadays but I’m not super excited with its performance on deer and antelope. It definitely kills them extra dead. I’d like a rifle I can take to the range and shoot all day without getting the snot knocked out of me. I have 3 kids that will soon be looking for a rifle to use, all will need a small LOP. The girlfriend is also hunting and at 120 pounds she needs something with a shorter LOP as well. So I’m thinking I might be able to solve all those issues with one rifle.

I’m thinking the sig cross in 6.5 might solve all my issues? I know it’s the gen 1 and there have been some mixed feedback regarding the folding stock, and of course the recall. Assuming all that gets taken care of it seems like a gun the kids and girlfriend could shoot comfortably (recoil and LOP) and it would make a good deer/antelope gun to 600ish and be a good paper puncher. Am I missing something? I can’t think of another option, other than buying 1-3 more guns. I’ll be putting a thunderbeast suppressor on it as well.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Anything bigger than whitetail and I use a 300 wm too. Anything whitetail amd smaller I use my 7-08. Easy to shoot and won’t kill your ears.

Rich M

WKR
6cm
7mm08
6.5cm

350 legend if within 250 yards - just got one, less kick then 243 and less noise than most rifles.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
For the cost of the sig cross, I’d rather buy a few ruger Americans or similar with multiple young hunters in the household

541hunter

WKR
Check out the savage ultralight. Lots of adjustment capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
No...you’re not on the right track in my opinion.

See NDbowhunter’s post above for the most sensible solution.

Could always rebarrel the Tikka. I had one in 300 WM as well but I rebarrelled it to a 270WSM with a proof barrel and a good brake for my girlfriend to shoot. Low recoil and very accurate. 6.5 SAUM or PRC would also work well.

.243, 6cm, 6.5 cm, 7-08, or .308 are all contenders here.

Sig Cross is WAY overpriced for what it is. Tikka with a custom stock would be cheaper and probably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You can get a XLR Element chassis for a Tikka. Gives you adjustable LOP. You could then put a break on your 300, or get another Tikka in a smaller caliber.

Gorp2007

WKR
You can get a XLR Element chassis for a Tikka. Gives you adjustable LOP. You could then put a break on your 300, or get another Tikka in a smaller caliber.
XLR chassis may not be a great fit for Tikka 300WM because you're limited to 3.560" magazines. I'd still recommend the chassis, but buy a smaller Tikka caliber to throw in it and it's still cheaper than a Sig Cross.

Or get the XLR and rebarrel his existing TIkka to 6.5 PRC.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
XLR chassis may not be a great fit for Tikka 300WM because you're limited to 3.560" magazines. I'd still recommend the chassis, but buy a smaller Tikka caliber to throw in it and it's still cheaper than a Sig Cross.

Or get the XLR and rebarrel his existing TIkka to 6.5 PRC.
I like the idea of the tikka action. Is there an adjustable LOP lightweight chassis that won’t break the bank? Folding isn’t necessary, but I’d like to keep the overall weight of the gun without optics in the 6.5 pound range if possible.

I picked up my Bergara B14 in 6.5, used for $550 and a used vortex viper on here for $350 or so. The LOP is probably a little longer than you're looking for but the recoil is minimal, gun is fairly light, and I've shot to 600 at the range.

It seems like that checks most of your boxes and is affordable.

I talked to a gunsmith about shortening the LOP and he said it was possible but would likely require some filling of the hollow stock.

Gorp2007

WKR
I like the idea of the tikka action. Is there an adjustable LOP lightweight chassis that won’t break the bank? Folding isn’t necessary, but I’d like to keep the overall weight of the gun without optics in the 6.5 pound range if possible.
You just missed the XLR Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, but those were some pretty good deals. Right now you can built a basic XLR Element for $595. The KRG Bravo is $369, but uses spacers to adjust LOP so may not be quite as adjustable on the fly as what you're looking for.

kickemall

WKR
KRG Bravo although it may bump your weight a little high.