Am I out of line?

My wife is due with our fist child in March. I said something about turkey season and she looked at me and said there's no way I was turkey hunting this year. She couldn't believe the fact that I was wanted to take one day and turkey hunt and leave her to take care of our one month old.
Am I out of line? Maybe ill feel different after the baby is here?

That one month old is going to sleep a lot. Your wife will still be pretty tired though. You guys have family close?

I went hunting for over a week a month after our first was born. Went elk hunting for a couple weeks after our second spend 69 days in the NICU. But anymore the hunting is the only thing I do for myself. My wife understands that, and it was a regular topic of discussion during courtship.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
No offense MuleyFever....but do not "take a stand". Your wife is probably just freaking out. You have until March. Once the kid is here, it will be fine. This is one of those pick your battle times and if I was you, I would shut up about it until the time comes. Guaranteed your wife is going to be fine and you will still be turkey hunting.

TxxAgg

WKR
You will both need a break. From the baby and from each other. It will make things easier. Just make sure you are super helpful, and you'll get a day or two to turkey hunt.

reaper

WKR
My wife is due with our fist child in March. I said something about turkey season and she looked at me and said there's no way I was turkey hunting this year. She couldn't believe the fact that I was wanted to take one day and turkey hunt and leave her to take care of our one month old.
Am I out of line? Maybe ill feel different after the baby is here?
Not at all man,after a month I was leaving for 3 days fishing trip into the backcountry,wife knows I need this to "live"...sorry but looks like you don't have a understanding woman ...well it will be your first so it's hard to understand but this baby will sleep a lot.

Now my little girl have 5 years and fish with me.
One day come'on that's not the end of the world ...make her understand.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

I went on an 11 day hunt when my first was 2 months old. I wake up every day thinking I have the best wife in the world so I'm not surprised she was up for it.

I wouldn't push the issue at this point. Chances are she will realize once the baby is here that she is comortable with you going away for a day or two.

On the flip side. She is going to give birth to your child. Once you watch it happen you will be bending over backwards to give her anything she asks for.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
It makes sense she'd be worked up over that. It's your first kid. Expectations change after the first one. But you'll have to pick and choose your battles.

I gave up a couple of hunts for my first kid to keep the peace. She 100% could have handled it but it was the principal of the matter and I wanted her to feel supported . Those first few weeks and months are not fun for new mom.

After three kids, (youngest is only a couple of months old) she's pushing me out the door to scout for my elk hunt this fall. Loves those elk burgers. In fact, she's chill about me hunting over the kids and her birthday or our anniversary.

Poser

WKR
I once asked a friend if his hunting ever took a dive when raising kids. His response: “Hell nah, that’s what I have a wife for”

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree with Frank on this one! Just let it sit until season comes around, she will more than likely be fine with you heading out by that point. This is your first kid so she is nervous about it, but a 1 month old sleeps, drinks milk, and dirties it's diapers. They are pretty easy at that point. You should clean the SHIT out of your house before you go though!

Drenalin

WKR
We had our first in late December of 2015, and I kept hunting through the end of season which was a couple of weeks later. Same with our second in December 2018. My wife knows hunting is just my thing, and she's pretty understanding and supportive of that. You also could not have pried her away from either of those two kids for a full day, at least not till they got to be a few months old. I don't know you or your wife, but there's a good chance her position will change as the pregnancy goes on and after the baby is born. I probably wouldn't push the issue now, pregnancy does crazy things to hormones and what not. I'd let this one sit till she evens out and you experience holding that kid for the first time. Good chance you'll both have a different perspective than you do now. Also a good chance you'll have to make some sacrifices; that's just parenthood.

As a father of 3 grown humans now, I can tell you - spend every minute you can with them. There will be plenty of hunts once they are grown and out of the house when you wish they were still at home. Believe me.

I can't believe how fast my kids grew up. Just doesn't seem possible really. I regret not spending more time with them when they were small, but I am not alone. Nearly every parent with grown kids feels the same way.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
No offense MuleyFever....but do not "take a stand". Your wife is probably just freaking out. You have until March. Once the kid is here, it will be fine. This is one of those pick your battle times and if I was you, I would shut up about it until the time comes. Guaranteed your wife is going to be fine and you will still be turkey hunting.

What he said. She’s just anxious. Give it time. She’ll be fine with it once the baby’s actually here and she knows what her new normal is like. Make sure you give her time to herself too though. You both need it. Make sure to still take as much time for each other as possible too.

NoWiser

WKR
Do not get in an argument with a pregnant woman. If you just agree that you don't need to go turkey hunting come spring, you'll probably get to go. Wait until the baby is a few weeks old and just see how it goes.

Oh yea, CONGRATULATIONS! Your life will never be the same, in a good way.