Am I the only one?

CoolRain8

FNG
Hey guys its my first time posting so bear with me, I've come to the conclusion that I have caught the hunting fever. I've gotten obsessed with DIY backcountry Elk hunting trips, there's just one problem I have.. I have no friends willing to shell out the time or money to go on this adventure. I live in Ohio, where nobody does anything but eat, drink and cheer on the Suckeyes.

So my question to everyone is how do you find other people to do these trips with?

I anticipate making good friends when I move out west in a few years once my girl finishes grad school. But for now I'm sorta Sh*t out of luck.
Any advice guys? Anybody in the same boat? I'm willing to meet up with a few guys to get the job done OTC this year and for years beyond. I appreciate everyone's time.

ashanks52

FNG
Also from Ohio, and being from a city I don't even really have hardly any friends that hunt. Mostly just go by myself or with my brother. But I've got friends to go out west with me on a hunt this fall for the "adventure". They will tag along, and essentially do a backpacking/ hiking trip with me while I hunt elk. Also taking one day at least and do some fishing with a guide. And if i kill something they help pack it out. But they aren't actually hunt or anything. Because they aren't buying a license or a tag the cost really isn't that high at all. Idk if that helps but maybe you could try that? Also, never disrespect my Buckeyes like that again lol.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Start out at your local archery shop or gun range. May have to spend some time there. I know it’ll be a struggle, but you can do it.
Find a RMEF chapter or banquet in your area. If you can, volunteer. Go to the banquet at the very least. Place will be full of like minded people.
Not sure if you gun or bow hunt, but be open for anything. Getting late in the year to try and find a partner and plan a trip. Remember to spend some time with them. A 30 hour road trip is not the time to find out you don’t get along.
Most of my trips have be solo. You can do it, just start out slow. Truck camp and hunt a mile or 2 out. Be willing to move.
Best of luck.

OP
CoolRain8

CoolRain8

FNG
Ashanks52 I knew id get a few buckeyes attention with that haha. I greatly appreciate the advice, I just grew up in a poor small town without many friends who can afford much. Pretty sure my Girl would be more ready for a hiking adventure than my friends haha. I appreciate the suggestion though, lets me look at it from a different angle.

Elkhntr08 Thanks for the well thought out response, I never thought about the RMEF banquets and they have them all around me! I've shot rifles for years and just went crazy with bow hunting, so i'm about as flexible as possible.

I appreciate you guys, thanks again for the responses. Look forward to more.

I'm right there with you. Had a group of us that went west for a few years, but now everyone has kids or grandkids that are at that busy age. My daughter is graduating this year and my boy is old enough that I'm heading west by myself this year. Figure if I'm going to chase my dreams before I get too old I need to go now.

I am from MN and have the same issue. My buddy and me are doing a DIY hunt out west but he now lives in FL so its been a struggle trying to coordinate travel plans with him. Otherwise its the old man and me.

fatlander

WKR
I’d rather be by myself than take someone that’s not committed. Finding someone within a couple months for that type of hunt isn’t going to be easy, and finding someone that is committed will be tougher. You don’t want someone that’s going to quit when reality sits in or whine and complain the whole time. You want someone that’s going to push to go over that next ridge.

Most folks that are serious elk hunters already have their September’s planned for the next 5 years let alone a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a tough one. You want to hunt with partners with like/similar hunting ethics, who understand wilderness survival and won’t screw your hunt on any level.

When I married my husband, in 2008, my folks were still alive then. My dad gave my South Jersey, from ”down the Shoah” husband a 30-06 and said, “Welcome to the family.”

Rob’s hunted ever since and says, “We live to hunt, and hunt to live.”

I’d say marry the girlfriend when she’s done with grad school and buy her a decent rifle.

Lefty26

FNG
That’s a tough one. I have a bunch of hunting buddies but maybe 3 I would trust in the mountains. Of those 3, one’s wife won’t let him do anything, and the other one came with me last year but has 15 kids and a wife who won’t let him go this year. 3rd guy is coming with me this year.

At some point in the near future I will be making solo trips since the guys that have the abilities, don’t have the balls to make their own decisions.

The guys I know that have resources and the time to hunt don’t have the the fitness or more importantly mental fortitude to last long in the mountains.

mlgc20

WKR
I hunted mostly solo for many years. My daughter is now my regular hunting partner. My only advice is, that it’s much better to be in the woods by yourself than with a partner you don’t really want to spend time with.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm right there with you. Had a group of us that went west for a few years, but now everyone has kids or grandkids that are at that busy age. My daughter is graduating this year and my boy is old enough that I'm heading west by myself this year. Figure if I'm going to chase my dreams before I get too old I need to go now.
That's me. From PA, been western hunting one time in 1999 archery elk in AZ. Realized at 56, WTH am I waiting for. My circle has shrunk over the years and I really don't have anyone that will commit to anything. I've been buying points in WY and AZ for a few years but I just need to go at least to start working the bugs out. I'm planning a CO archery hunt for the last part of the season OTC.

IdahoElk

WKR
Hey guys its my first time posting so bear with me, I've come to the conclusion that I have caught the hunting fever. I've gotten obsessed with DIY backcountry Elk hunting trips, there's just one problem I have.. I have no friends willing to shell out the time or money to go on this adventure. I live in Ohio, where nobody does anything but eat, drink and cheer on the Suckeyes.

So my question to everyone is how do you find other people to do these trips with?

I anticipate making good friends when I move out west in a few years once my girl finishes grad school. But for now I'm sorta Sh*t out of luck.
Any advice guys? Anybody in the same boat? I'm willing to meet up with a few guys to get the job done OTC this year and for years beyond. I appreciate everyone's time.

I was like you,lived on the east coast and decided to move out west to Idaho for the hunting and fishing, that was 30yrs ago and haven't regretted one day being here.

Fatcamp

WKR
I found a girlfriend who loved adventure and wild places as much as I did. Married her. Problem solved.

Spent years trying to get my bowfishing and hunting buddies to try freedive spearfishing with me. Nope. Told her I was gonna start by myself and she had her stuff ordered that day. I was hooked.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up hunting whitetails in michigan and ended up moving to super competative hunting ground southern illinois. Whitetails are really not a challenge or adventure around here. So, I started hunting coyotes with thermals, and now a lot of guys with a credit card and a facebook account are "expert coyote hunters" so im loosing interest in that.

Ive been out west a few times and would move there in a minute if my wife would leave this "armpit of America" STL region, but her family is from here so we stay.... for now.

The older i get, (42 now) watching people I know die young from accidents,obiseity, depression, and cancer, I have decided Im going to do whatever I want to. So, I booked a guided elk hunt in southern colorado for this fall. Just getting away for a few weeks for a 18hr drive, the mountains, and the cold will be well worth it, even if Im going alone. Im going to get rid of all the useless crap in my life that Ive accumulated and just focus on adventures. That to me, alone or not, is what its all about. ADVENTURE

clint6760

FNG
I’m kinda in the same boat. I’m from Arkansas and will be going with a buddy to Colorado archery this year. I have bought points and have a plan for the next 5-10 years to go out west every year. He seems excited for this year but not interested in the future. My plan is go this year with him and go by myself the next few years. After that my boys will be old enough to hopefully go and have the interest.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
if solo, just go!
as mentioned, be reasonable and hunt couple miles around vehicle/camp. Packing out an elk in Sept, early October is no easy task when solo, racing against time and temperature. Not the time to be packing solo 5-9 miles in/out.

I've met some good guys when out there in the woods, mostly in camp as they come by to chat.
couple of them became hunt partners, some guys I never see rest of the year or hear from them due to distance...until hunt season nears.
They have become camp partners, do our own thing, on-our-own hunting. But if successful, we help each other out with packing meat etc.
One guy hunted, camped with me for 14 years. He went solo, stopped by to chat in my camp oneday and we hit it off. Two years ago, he passed away. His wife contacted me about memorial service and I attended, even though it was 4 states away.
So many of his friends, family came up to me and said; "so you are that hunting friend, you do exist".

I hope he and 6 other of my hunting partners are in elk hunters heaven each fall and watch over my shoulders.

njdoxie

WKR
As others have mentioned, hunting partners are not required, but you seem to be of the mindset that you have to have one. Some people are wired that way, I get it, especially if you've never been before. I would seriously consider going solo if I was you.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Had a decent experience meeting a Colorado native on a FB hunting site.
Communication was good for 3 months, then zero communication for 3 months. I almost gave up on him and was going to go solo (spent way too much preparing for a Backcountry Hunt), but he contacted me again about 5 weeks before I drove up.
All in all it was a great experience. We only had one opportunity with a 6 point. He told me to position up on the left but he kept inching up, eventually even to me which locked the bull up with his cows. I would’ve have a slam dunk 25-30 yard bow shot.
Funny thing is he blamed me for spooking the bull and I looked at him like he was drunk. After that I had the feeling I was just his pack mule if he got one.
I’m not mad about it, I learned some things... like no matter how in shape you are.. 0 elevation to 11,500 all day will kick your rear.
Good luck