Am I Tough Enough?

So I see alot of guys talking about doing Backcountry hunts for the first time. Do you have what it takes? You should have all the gear you need when you head out, but there's more to it. You don't have to be Cam Haynes or Snyder or Call conditioning wise, but you need something they have, and something most of us who do it have.

Mental toughness and the desire to head over the next ridge just before dark 5 miles from camp, and willing to get back to camp in the dark, all the while knowing that you just might be being watched or stalked by predators without even knowing it.

How bout the time alone? Are you comfortable in your own skin listening to the call of the wild while your thoughts are talking to you breaking the silence of the woods? Are you the paranoid type who can't wait for the sun to come up because you're worried about things that go bump in the night?

Can you handle being a minimalist which might mean being hungry or thirsty at times? Can you solve problems that may arise out of nowhere? Are you confident and determined to stay until the last minute of the last day of your hunt leaving everything afield knowing you gave it 100%?

Do you have a short memory when you fail knowing your success lies just ahead, over the next ridge, or 2000' below in the deepest nastiest hell hole you've ever hiked into? And having to pack an elk out?

If so, you just might be ready. ;)

Last edited:

Swede

WKR
I could not agree more with trophyhill. He is right on the money. If anyone is into instant success and armchair glory, elk hunting is not for you. I put patience and perseverance right at the top of my list of qualities an elk hunter needs. These two things are equal to knowledge of elk and the area you will hunt.
It is interesting that being in great physical condition is significantly farther down on my list of the attributes you will need. I like to stay in shape, but being in my 70s has not hindered my elk hunting opportunities or success rate.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
That's what brought me here. I love it. All of it. I learned that type of drive in the military. When I found there was a type of hunting that put your mind and body to the test the way that a tough mountain hunt will, I was all in. I'll go as much as I can for as many years as I can. Gives me a sense of purpose in my workouts throughout the year. Keeps my mind sharp when I know that navigation, finding water, or just plain grit are not just the difference in a successful or not hunt, but also the safety of myself or those I am with.

Cam Hanes book has some great words of wisdom on this exact thing. Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight is an even deeper-down-the-rabbit-hole kind of perspective on it.

"RLTW"

OP
trophyhill
Of course not, you're old and washed up.

I hope you draw your CO tag, then we can both hunt as a couple old and washed up hunters.

Lol Mike. As much ground as you cover, not sure I'd keep up with you. But I have no doubt about my drive and resilience and willingness to pack elk at night when the things that go bump in the night are out in full force ;)

Beendare

WKR
Me Tough- no.

I used to be...now too many of life's pleasures has made me soft.

Desire....well that I have and it makes elk hunting a joy.

I enjoy every minute in the woods with a weapon in my hand....I can't get enough of it.

Oh, I like hiking and backpacking....but its just so much better with a bow in my hand.

______

OP
trophyhill
I could not agree more with trophyhill. He is right on the money. If anyone is into instant success and armchair glory, elk hunting is not for you. I put patience and perseverance right at the top of my list of qualities an elk hunter needs. These two things are equal to knowledge of elk and the area you will hunt.
It is interesting that being in great physical condition is significantly farther down on my list of the attributes you will need. I like to stay in shape, but being in my 70s has not hindered my elk hunting opportunities or success rate.

Thanks Swede. I can only hope I can hunt with my bow at your age, if God blesses me to live to your age.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
So I see alot of guys talking about doing Backcountry hunts for the first time. Do you have what it takes? You should have all the gear you need when you head out, but there's more to it. You don't have to be Cam Haynes or Snyder or McCall conditioning wise, but you need something they have, and something most of us who do it have.

Mental toughness and the desire to head over the next ridge just before dark 5 miles from camp, and willing to get back to camp in the dark, all the while knowing that you just might be being watched or stalked by predators without even knowing it.

How bout the time alone? Are you comfortable in your own skin listening to the call of the wild while your thoughts are talking to you breaking the silence of the woods? Are you the paranoid type who can't wait for the sun to come up because you're worried about things that go bump in the night?

Can you handle being a minimalist which might mean being hungry or thirsty at times? Can you solve problems that may arise out of nowhere? Are you confident and determined to stay until the last minute of the last day of your hunt leaving everything afield knowing you gave it 100%?

Do you have a short memory when you fail knowing your success lies just ahead, over the next ridge, or 2000' below in the deepest nastiest hell hole you've ever hiked into? And having to pack an elk out?

If so, you just might be ready. ;)
[/QUO

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Very well thought out! I had always dreamed of hunting elk the way you described and once I made my mind up to go for it, all my mental and physical preparations were not quite what they needed to be. Don’t get me wrong, I survived it; learned and adapted my approach and went back the next year. It’s tough but in a strange way very addictive. It’s not for everyone for sure. Half way through a long hunt I sometimes think it’s not for me either but you have to pull your big boy panties up and march on. Guess that’s why I look so forward to going back each year.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm gonna find out. I'm fine with about everything but the bump in the night stuff - like mountain lions or bears, but hey, backcountry hikers do it unarmed all the time, right? I've been on one truck camping bowhunt for elk where my partner was stalked by a black bear while cow calling, but that's about it. I guess it depends where I wind up this fall as to whether it will be true backcountry.

Sometimes we find negatives since they are easy to grab onto,,, you can pull this off since you've come this far in life...

If a 89 year middle age dude can pull it off,,, then it could and can be done by you or others...

There would be nothing worse in life than looking back at this saying that you should of done it...

Yes that there are going to be challenges along the way,,, and like you said,,, put on your big girl pants...

You might not be the rock star you were in your youth,,, but Im sure you have some of what it takes,,, purhaps you might want to change a few things to make it easier on your self... That way you can say you give it your best shot...

Another way to look at it is the process it takes to get at it,,, the quest to hunt is part of it,,, but so is the preparation for it...

Pull out that big grin,,, dig out those boots and get at it,,, life waits for no one...

Don't kid your self,,, I'm closing in on the 60 mark with challenges and I'm still in the game,,, I have to plan arounds things now days... find the wize easy ways to do things...

A bit slower,,, not as strong,,, and the pencil is a bit duller... Ha...

The reward of at least trying is really worth its weigth in gold,,, thats what really counts in my books...

Cheers from the North

Moserkr

WKR
Every chance I get Im in the deep woods, alone or with those crazy enough to want that experience. Its the night hikes that i now find most peaceful, knowing the only other things ill run into are animals, not people. At least so far.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only done two backcountry hunts but all I ever thought during a lot of every one of them is, “embrace the suck”. I don’t know if it’s something they say in the military, but I feel like I’ve heard the phrase for years but never understood it til hunting in the mountains. It’s fun, but it’s sucks a bunch too. You feel the real things. Real tired, real wet, real cold, real scared. Not “really” tired, wet, cold, and scared. The real meaning of “REAL”.

I’ve been absolutely soaked for two days, shivered all night with zero sleep only to pack an elk all the next night, close encounters that make a guy wonder, “is this moment literally my last?”.

smiling just thinking about going again this fall.

Marble

WKR
If you don't love what you do, you won't do it with much conviction or passion.

I forget who said this. But it rings true for me. Embracing the suck, having no regrets, never letting an obstacle prevent success and looking for solutions from people who have already figured it out.

Some people have some physical limitations, some because of age, injury or choices. Some are blessed with unusual ability. But we have all seen people give up before they should and some last far beyond anticipated.

Mental toughness can be learned. Most of the time people dont realize what they are capable of.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
When I was a younger kid I use to be afraid of heights big time. So I would find the biggest bridges and/or rocks over water and jump without thinking to conquer that fear. Backpack hunting solo and packing meat out in the dark covered in blood stepping over wolf, bear, cougar, etc tracks in the fresh snow makes me feel both nervous and alive. Then there is a 1.5 hour hot yoga class, brings me to my knees begging for my life every time. But what scares me most is being some complacent fat slob of a human that goes on cruise ships for fun or something equally as lame.

OP
trophyhill
Having the right gear is so important. Can't state that enough.
If you don't love what you do, you won't do it with much conviction or passion.

I forget who said this. But it rings true for me. Embracing the suck, having no regrets, never letting an obstacle prevent success and looking for solutions from people who have already figured it out.

Some people have some physical limitations, some because of age, injury or choices. Some are blessed with unusual ability. But we have all seen people give up before they should and some last far beyond anticipated.

Mental toughness can be learned. Most of the time people dont realize what they are capable of.

Ya I was watching/listening to a podcast when Snyder mentioned the guys that buy all this gear with intentions of doing a Backcountry hunt, then cut their hunts short after 3 days because they aren't mentally as ready as they thought they were. And it would be better for them to just hunt from the truck rather than leave after only 3 days. He was interviewing that dude that won the reality show Lost I think it was. Great listen if you get the chance. I have an hour drive to work every day so I love listening to different podcasts and hearing different perspectives and points of views on the how, who, what, when and where of hunting opinions. I get tired of the local radio stations that play way to much Seattle grunge ;)

Last edited: