Am I Tough Enough?

Great post Swede. I’m 54ish. 5 foot 6 and 200 lbs. If it was all about being in top physical condition I would have quite a collection of un punched tags. But I’m still knocking them down like any of these olympic athlete tv stars.

In my opinion it’s 80% mental. I’ve seen young guys in top physical condition literally crash and burn. It wasn’t what they expected, they were out of their element, and couldn’t adapt to not at least seeing a white tail bouncing away several times a day. So they fell apart mentally and since the mind drives the body eventually they couldn’t handle it physically either.

Trophy you mentioned “getting back to camp” so I’ll assume you mean a base camp or established spike camp. I use both. I can kill bulls from base camp no problem. Mornings are much easier from spike camp but camp isn’t as nice. But I love it up there. Which brings me to my point.... When guys talk about “back country hunts” they are thinking about getting away from others. Why? Well for a few reasons. Better hunting of course BUT not always. It’s the adventure. The atmosphere. The independence and idea of being self sufficient. Just stepping back in time.

Those are all valid reasons to leave the world behind. But I think some hunters, new ones mostly, get the impression that it’s the best or only way to be successful. That is definitely NOT true. And if you aren’t prepared which means the right gear, the right attitude, and the McGyver like ability to solve problems then your dream hunt could quickly become a nightmare.

Then there are the guys who bivy hunt. Carry everything on their back, wander with the wind, and camp in different spots every night. Again I think those hunters do it for the experience more than the quality of hunting. I firmly believe that a good many of those guys just don’t know their area well enough to settle into a camp spot for a week or two. But again some internet researchers get the idea that by God it’s the way to git er dun.

Another good point from Swede is that knowledge of the elk in the area you hunt ranks right up there as the top factor in killing elk. And if you have that knowledge you should be able to hunt your entire area from two camps.... a base and a spike. A good camp does wonders for your mental well being so take the time to do it right. To me that means having a heat source to dry clothes.... and make you smile.

I’ll quote Swede again... if you want instant success and armchair glory elk hunting is not for you. Stick with deer hunting. But if you’re patient and persistent, and take preparation seriously, and have the ability to laugh off the times you get your ass kicked, you can do this.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No matter how the hunt goes........there is just nothing else like being in elk country in September. Even when I haven't bought a tag yet or after I'm done, I'll spend time in some draw units helping some buddies fill their tags......just because it's September, and that's where I belong. That doesn't necessarily take toughness, it just comes natural for me to be out there.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Good post trophy hill.
A lot of guys want to be a bad@ass, until it comes time to do bad@ss things. They can pound away on their keyboards with high hopes and big talk, but MANY of them crumble on day 3 when the going gets tough and they have no one to talk to. Granted, everyone is made different and there is NOTHING wrong with not enjoying the cold, hunger, pain, soreness, heat, and exhaustion of a backpack hunt. For others, it's a good hurt.

I feel it's only hard in September when i'm not in the woods, I love the actual adversity of the hunting, physically and mentally.... that's where I want to live, right in the middle of those adversities.

I think mental toughness is a very straightforward thing, it's a desensitization of difficulty... it's not easy for anybody, but some focus on the difficulties and make it their problem, and some just accept it and don't give it a second thought, and certainly not dwell on it.

there is a strong confidence in knowing difficulty will not slow you down, and knowing it will slow others (that whole 10% kill 90% of game)

Good post trophy hill.
A lot of guys want to be a bad@ass, until it comes time to do bad@ss things. They can pound away on their keyboards with high hopes and big talk,

Very true! I think they sit in their little tent and the reality finally hits home: There is no glory in this! I think some guys would do better if they showed everything live on a computer. It’s one thing to sit in the dark eating a frozen banana with peanut butter on it but a whole different ballgame if the rest of the world could watch while you said “Day 7 here in living hell but yours truly got this....” That way you get credit for the things you put yourself through. That’s not how it works on the mountain though. You have to be doing it for yourself. To achieve self made goals and quench your thirst to live and hunt up there.

I laugh when I see an elk hunt on tv. Some rich guy and his wife who has her makeup and hair just right. Trophy picture with not a drop of sweat in it. New hunters would be better off watching Wylie Coyote nearly kill himself trying to catch a bird that he never even comes close to getting a shot at. It’s way more realistic than Primos Elk Slayers or whatever they call it these days.

So I see alot of guys talking about doing Backcountry hunts for the first time. Do you have what it takes? You should have all the gear you need when you head out, but there's more to it. You don't have to be Cam Haynes or Snyder or Call conditioning wise, but you need something they have, and something most of us who do it have.

Mental toughness and the desire to head over the next ridge just before dark 5 miles from camp, and willing to get back to camp in the dark, all the while knowing that you just might be being watched or stalked by predators without even knowing it.

How bout the time alone? Are you comfortable in your own skin listening to the call of the wild while your thoughts are talking to you breaking the silence of the woods? Are you the paranoid type who can't wait for the sun to come up because you're worried about things that go bump in the night?

Can you handle being a minimalist which might mean being hungry or thirsty at times? Can you solve problems that may arise out of nowhere? Are you confident and determined to stay until the last minute of the last day of your hunt leaving everything afield knowing you gave it 100%?

Do you have a short memory when you fail knowing your success lies just ahead, over the next ridge, or 2000' below in the deepest nastiest hell hole you've ever hiked into? And having to pack an elk out?

If so, you just might be ready. ;)
I have done all this without a second thought, that is until I read this. LOL

I think we need to be careful how we define "backcountry hunts" for others and be sure we're only defining it for ourselves. One person's casual overnighter might be the experience of a lifetime (with significant hazards) to the next, and vise-versa.

A big part of mental toughness is experience. If you are mentally tough without any experience, that's not toughness, it's being naive. So it's important for each of us to gain experience we need to develop the confidence and comfort (call it "toughness" if you want) we need, at our own pace.

I've spent a lifetime camping and hunting and so things that are simple to me may seem insurmountable for the next guy. Likewise, I have no "truly" remote backcountry experience like some here have (in AK for example) and although I may be comfortable 3 miles in a wilderness area for a week in the lower 48, I would definitely be out of my comfort zone doing the same in a place like AK for the first time.

People need to gain experience at their own pace. We should be careful that we don't measure one person's "backcountry hunt" by the next.

OP
trophyhill
Great post Swede. I’m 54ish. 5 foot 6 and 200 lbs. If it was all about being in top physical condition I would have quite a collection of un punched tags. But I’m still knocking them down like any of these olympic athlete tv stars.

In my opinion it’s 80% mental. I’ve seen young guys in top physical condition literally crash and burn. It wasn’t what they expected, they were out of their element, and couldn’t adapt to not at least seeing a white tail bouncing away several times a day. So they fell apart mentally and since the mind drives the body eventually they couldn’t handle it physically either.

Trophy you mentioned “getting back to camp” so I’ll assume you mean a base camp or established spike camp. I use both. I can kill bulls from base camp no problem. Mornings are much easier from spike camp but camp isn’t as nice. But I love it up there. Which brings me to my point.... When guys talk about “back country hunts” they are thinking about getting away from others. Why? Well for a few reasons. Better hunting of course BUT not always. It’s the adventure. The atmosphere. The independence and idea of being self sufficient. Just stepping back in time.

Those are all valid reasons to leave the world behind. But I think some hunters, new ones mostly, get the impression that it’s the best or only way to be successful. That is definitely NOT true. And if you aren’t prepared which means the right gear, the right attitude, and the McGyver like ability to solve problems then your dream hunt could quickly become a nightmare.

Then there are the guys who bivy hunt. Carry everything on their back, wander with the wind, and camp in different spots every night. Again I think those hunters do it for the experience more than the quality of hunting. I firmly believe that a good many of those guys just don’t know their area well enough to settle into a camp spot for a week or two. But again some internet researchers get the idea that by God it’s the way to git er dun.

Another good point from Swede is that knowledge of the elk in the area you hunt ranks right up there as the top factor in killing elk. And if you have that knowledge you should be able to hunt your entire area from two camps.... a base and a spike. A good camp does wonders for your mental well being so take the time to do it right. To me that means having a heat source to dry clothes.... and make you smile.

I’ll quote Swede again... if you want instant success and armchair glory elk hunting is not for you. Stick with deer hunting. But if you’re patient and persistent, and take preparation seriously, and have the ability to laugh off the times you get your ass kicked, you can do this.

I do both styles of hunting and absolutely love Backcountry hunting the most. However, when I found out my buddy drew a Gila tag last year, he took the Backcountry ridge I usually camp on, and I took truck camp and another friend took a ridge somewhere in between. Our buddy pulled out before the hunt was over. I ended up sticking a 377 bull not more than a half mile or less from the truck. Called him over from the ridge our buddy was camped on incidentally. When I have an elk in my sites, i guarantee you that I am not thinking about where my camp is regardless. I'll worry about the pain later and forget about the pain when I take that first bite. I am a meat hunter ;)

Last edited:
OP
trophyhill
I have done all this without a second thought, that is until I read this. LOL

I think we need to be careful how we define "backcountry hunts" for others and be sure we're only defining it for ourselves. One person's casual overnighter might be the experience of a lifetime (with significant hazards) to the next, and vise-versa.

A big part of mental toughness is experience. If you are mentally tough without any experience, that's not toughness, it's being naive. So it's important for each of us to gain experience we need to develop the confidence and comfort (call it "toughness" if you want) we need, at our own pace.

I've spent a lifetime camping and hunting and so things that are simple to me may seem insurmountable for the next guy. Likewise, I have no "truly" remote backcountry experience like some here have (in AK for example) and although I may be comfortable 3 miles in a wilderness area for a week in the lower 48, I would definitely be out of my comfort zone doing the same in a place like AK for the first time.

People need to gain experience at their own pace. We should be careful that we don't measure one person's "backcountry hunt" by the next.

Well said. And I'm a perfect example. My first attempt was in the Sangre De Cristos in Northern NM. I'd hunted for several days out of truck camp, then loaded up my Badlands 2200 thinking I was gonna pack into the wilderness for 3 nights. I had stuff dangling off my pack and knew I was in trouble after less than a mile in. I returned to truck camp and dropped the notion knowing I needed the right gear. A few years later when I had accumulated good quality gear that started with a pack, I knew I was ready and haven't looked back. But I didn't let that first failed attempt get me down. I killed an elk several days later. I live by "never give up! Ever!"

Last edited:
OP
trophyhill
When I was a younger kid I use to be afraid of heights big time. So I would find the biggest bridges and/or rocks over water and jump without thinking to conquer that fear. Backpack hunting solo and packing meat out in the dark covered in blood stepping over wolf, bear, cougar, etc tracks in the fresh snow makes me feel both nervous and alive. Then there is a 1.5 hour hot yoga class, brings me to my knees begging for my life every time. But what scares me most is being some complacent fat slob of a human that goes on cruise ships for fun or something equally as lame.

Conquer the fear baby! I'll never forget my first night out in the backcountry miles from nowhere. I don't think I slept a wink knowing that if something happens, noone is gonna hear you scream. Before the clock struck midnight I had forgotten all about that. Screaming bulls not far from the NM, CO border kept me awake the rest of the night. That's when I knew the fear was imagined and I was where I was supposed to be.

OP
trophyhill
I feel it's only hard in September when i'm not in the woods, I love the actual adversity of the hunting, physically and mentally.... that's where I want to live, right in the middle of those adversities.

I think mental toughness is a very straightforward thing, it's a desensitization of difficulty... it's not easy for anybody, but some focus on the difficulties and make it their problem, and some just accept it and don't give it a second thought, and certainly not dwell on it.

there is a strong confidence in knowing difficulty will not slow you down, and knowing it will slow others (that whole 10% kill 90% of game)

Great post Roosie!

Beendare

WKR
I've got one buddy that looks like the departed Roy Roth. Almost as round as he is tall...and he's been like that as long as I've known him.

He was always the first guy out of camp and the last guy back.. he looked like death warmed over when he would roll in exhausted. I'm telling ya that guy could kill piles of animals with a bow.

Years ago I packed into a 10,000' backpack deer camp with a friend about 12 years my senior. He was mid 60's, huffing and puffing up the trail. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He said, "Go on, I will catch up" We were all over those mountains but none of us could kill the bucks Gary did glassing a ton....and going slow and steady.
Gary has killed a bunch of 190" plus mule deer....probably more than anyone I know really well.

Then there is my BIL's BIL that did his first elk hunt in Co last year with another buddy. 2 beefy Firmen in their early 40s in good shape. They told me their plan, rifle hunt, pack in with 65# of gear- we've all done it as rookies. They lasted 2 days.

Tough is nice, but hunting smart is looking like a wise move these days. Grin

_______

I do both styles of hunting and absolutely love Backcountry hunting the most. However, when I found out my buddy drew a Gila tag last year, he took the Backcountry ridge I usually camp on, and I took truck camp and another friend took a ridge somewhere in between. Our buddy pulled out before the hunt was over. I ended up sticking a 377 bull not more than a half mile or less from the truck. When I have an elk in my sites, i guarantee you that I am not thinking about where my camp is regardless. I'll worry about the pain later and forget about the pain when I take that first bite. I am a meat hunter ;)
Hell yes but.... you shot a 377 bull for the meat? Can I have the antlers? :ROFLMAO:

Marble

WKR
Having the right gear is so important. Can't state that enough.

Ya I was watching/listening to a podcast when Snyder mentioned the guys that buy all this gear with intentions of doing a Backcountry hunt, then cut their hunts short after 3 days because they aren't mentally as ready as they thought they were. And it would be better for them to just hunt from the truck rather than leave after only 3 days. He was interviewing that dude that won the reality show Lost I think it was. Great listen if you get the chance. I have an hour drive to work every day so I love listening to different podcasts and hearing different perspectives and points of views on the how, who, what, when and where of hunting opinions. I get tired of the local radio stations that play way to much Seattle grunge ;)
That podcast made me watch Alone. Jordon is amazingly adaptive to his environment and a hell of a hunter. He is super funny too.

Wapiti1

WKR
To read some of the comments, this sounds like a right of passage. An ordeal to be suffered through.

I hunt elk, and anything else, because I enjoy it. Will I get some bumps and bruises along the way? Sure. I might even feel like a complete failure at some point. A squirrel may chew the end off my water bladder tube rendering it mostly useless on day one of a 5 day backpack hunt (don't flavor your water). It just is what it is. I think about that trip and giggle about that damn squirrel. I whittled a plug for it and moved on.

One has to understand their experience level, their abilities, and their drive to succeed. Success being multiple things, not just a dead elk. If I take new guys out west, we sit down and write a list of things they want out of the hunt and a dead animal isn't allowed on the list.

Above all else. You must enjoy the journey, or this isn't for you.

This is supposed to be fun.

Jeremy

87TT

WKR
To read some of the comments, this sounds like a right of passage. An ordeal to be suffered through.

I hunt elk, and anything else, because I enjoy it. Will I get some bumps and bruises along the way? Sure. I might even feel like a complete failure at some point. A squirrel may chew the end off my water bladder tube rendering it mostly useless on day one of a 5 day backpack hunt (don't flavor your water). It just is what it is. I think about that trip and giggle about that damn squirrel. I whittled a plug for it and moved on.

One has to understand their experience level, their abilities, and their drive to succeed. Success being multiple things, not just a dead elk. If I take new guys out west, we sit down and write a list of things they want out of the hunt and a dead animal isn't allowed on the list.

Above all else. You must enjoy the journey, or this isn't for you.

This is supposed to be fun.

Jeremy
My old Platypus has a patch on it from a hole by a sharp rock or stick. I patched it with the patch kit from my sleeping pad. It's been on there for 15 years or so. I have some Tenacious tape in the kit now. But I hear ya.

cnelk

WKR
Success being multiple things, not just a dead elk. If I take new guys out west, we sit down and write a list of things they want out of the hunt and a dead animal isn't allowed on the list.

Jeremy - Im curious what they put on the list ^^^

Wapiti1

WKR
Jeremy - Im curious what they put on the list ^^^

Most take a bit of prodding to think about what a hunt like this is really about. They tend to hone in on the hunt itself and killing an animal. If we don't get one, what do you think you will remember?

Eventually, they list things like knowledge of the unit, knowledge of elk, learning to call, experience with backpacking, see a place I've never been, get some good pictures, fishing for trout shows up, get away from people, spend time with friends or family, see the west so they can vacation out there with the family, hunt something other than whitetails.

A couple have gone a bit deeper and wrote things about learning more about themselves and what they can do.

One friend that used to go with me often used the trip to quit smoking. I wasn't keen on that, but it worked out.

Jeremy