Am I Underspined?

Brendan

WKR
ugh...this is giving me a headache - enough to drive me to the comfort of my longbow;)

I did some reading online last night and found many conflicting sources. I like empirical data like the 2017 tuning thread Brendan posted here. well documented case of changing one variable (arrow rest position) and observing the results. I will be trying it soon myself when I get my BH/hunting arrows ready. I know my arrows are on the low end of recommended spine so Im quite curious to see what happens.

Gold Tip's Arrow Super Tuning Videos are very good. Gillingham is one of the best:

The 11 videos are worth watching...

Gillingham has one golden nugget when talking about right/left rest movements that talks why in certain scenarios the rest doesn't work as well as it should for fixing issues. I believe the phrase was "Pervasive Nock Travel of the Bow"

ZDR

WKR
Just watched the first vid and will watch the rest. I like where this is going. thanks again...

Hoot

WKR
Lateral nock travel, or the lateral path of the string, is the reason there are variances in results. Generally speaking, if your bow is plumb and your string path true with no lateral travel, right down the centershot, it would stand to reason that if your BH's are impacting left, it would be due to planing, and you'd want to move the rest AWAY from the impact. However, if your string path is not true directly down the centershot of the bow, as gillingham states "The pervasive nock travel of the bow" will impact your arrow flight in a manner that might not be consistent with planing from the broadhead.

Laterally, there are two levers (technically 4 or 5, but for the purpose of this discussion, 2 main ones) that are enacting force on the arrow, the steering of the broadhead, and the steering of the nock by the string. The goal is to get the lateral nock travel lined up with the rest so that the string is pushing the arrow completely true, giving the broadhead less opportunity to steer the arrow into an undesirable direction...