Am I wrong thinking this way for elk ?

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming points aren’t unit specific. You just buy a point and decide at application time which area you want to use them for. Do yourself a favor and go buy one right now.

Bought one probably a hour ago on lunch at work. Appreciate the lookout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your situation I'd go guided the first time, just to shorten the learning curve. If you go guided on public land, don't worry about it be a canned hunt, you'll still need to work for a bull. There's lots to learn from reading and listening to podcasts, but none of it really replaces being out in the field with an experienced guide that knows what's going on. Those of us on here that were raised with elk hunting were on a very basic level, guided by our parents for our first several hunts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going guided.

Gila

WKR
It’s never to soon to start hunt on your own. But if you book with the right outfitter you can definitely learn a lot. Make sure it’s a public land outfitter who is hunting real mountains like you would on a diy hunt. Kill or no kill you can learn the ways of getting around and hunting in the hills. Sort out what gear you might want or need. Get some first hand experience on what it takes to break down an elk and pack it out. If you have the money then do it. But like I said make sure you pick the right one. Message me if you want some suggestions.

I think Indian Summer is spot on! There are people who don't know squat about elk hunting or where to hunt them, that just go out and kill an elk on their first trip. And there are people who win the lottery too! What too many wanna be DIYers fail to figure in is the expense of scouting. E-scouting tools are great and the forums give some good info as well. Realistically though, the only surefire way to find a place to hunt is to put your boots on and get in there! Factor in the gear and travel expenses, you being from the East Coast, it could easily go past $5,000 before you figure out what it costs you for taking vacation time.

I live near where I hunt and I am retired. I have already spent a week scouting and burned up about 500 bucks in fuel and vehicle maintenance. I expect to spend another week and a few hundred more in scouting before the season starts. But then you will need to learn how to scout to maximize your opportuniy. I had marked on a map what appeared to be an alpine meadow. It turned out to be badlands. Shangrila for a himalayan tahr, maybe, but no elk would live there. I think your first experience will drive your interest in the sport. You could look at an outfitted hunt as an initial investment in your new hobby.

Bighorner

WKR
There is not a podcast out there that can replace a mentor (a buddy or a guide). If I were in your shoes I would really look at a guide. Does it take away some of the reward? Yes, but it will cut the learning curve dramatically. It still be a trip you would never forget. And the next trip could be a DIY that has a lot better chance of being successful. The advice on getting a guide and going into the wilderness as a non resdient should really be reconsidered.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me I would go with an outfitter. I believe you could learn more in five days with the right outfitter than you could in ten trips by yourself. These guys do this for a living and know what they are doing and you can learn a ton from them. No amount of youtube videos or podcasts can replace being on the mountain with a professional. I may take some heat for this but I'm not one of those guys who looks for the next crazy challenge like a solo DIY. That may be fun for some guys but it would not be for me at all and I would not consider doing it. When I go hunting I am there for the total experience and I want to kill something. I would try to book a hunt on private land and there are some really good places to hunt on private land in OTC units in CO. My $0.02

Overdrive

WKR
Have you considered a semi-guided hunt?

Usually half the cost of a guided hunt and your hunting in an area that the outfitter can send you in a good direction to hunt on your own and yet come back to a camp with other hunters and camp cook.

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a semi-guided hunt?

Usually half the cost of a guided hunt and your hunting in an area that the outfitter can send you in a good direction to hunt on your own and yet come back to a camp with other hunters and camp cook.

I have considered semi guided but hear a lot of negatives on drop camps, that’s the only reason I’ve considered fully guided or DIY. Obviously a big jump there but just heard horror stories for semi guided trips, not saying they’re all bad though

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
There is not a podcast out there that can replace a mentor (a buddy or a guide). If I were in your shoes I would really look at a guide. Does it take away some of the reward? Yes, but it will cut the learning curve dramatically. It still be a trip you would never forget. And the next trip could be a DIY that has a lot better chance of being successful. The advice on getting a guide and going into the wilderness as a non resdient should really be reconsidered.

That’s the sole reason I’m considering a guided hunt. I want to learn as much as possible at first and I feel like guided hunts are the way to get my feet wet. Takes away alittle of the reward but the reward is still a elk and I’d be happy with one from a guided hunt but maybe not as much as a first time DIY hunt

Would like some opinions here....I’m 28, been wanting to go out west for years but can’t get anyone to commit with me so I’ve never done it, I live in MD so it’s a hike but I’m tired of waiting. Am I wrong thinking I should go to a guided hunt first instead of doing a DIY solo ? I have no kids, not married and I’m financially stable enough to go. Would like to start guided I think then switch to DIY once I get the first under my belt. Any help or opinions is appreciated

There is always the option for a drop camp in an over the counter unit in Colorado. You will be put in an area with elk so finding an area would not be a worry. Learning to hunt them would be on you with some tips from outfitter. It costs less than guided but I believe they have a minimum for camps but sometimes you can find another partner on these forums to share the camp. Maybe even hunt together some days.

Overdrive

WKR
I have considered semi guided but hear a lot of negatives on drop camps, that’s the only reason I’ve considered fully guided or DIY. Obviously a big jump there but just heard horror stories for semi guided trips, not saying they’re all bad though

Semi-Guided is different than a true drop camp, at least with the outfitter I guide for. The semi-guided hunters are in base camp with the guided hunters and crew so they get the benefit of a comfortable camp, camp meals cooked and direction for their hunts. A wilderness Drop camp is exactly what it sounds like, your packed in on horseback and dropped in camp for 5 days, you usually won't see a wrangler until it's pick up time unless the weather is warm and need to get meat of the mountain. But most drop camps have a minimum number of hunters to make it worth the outfitters time too. Every outfit is different that's for sure.

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Semi-Guided is different than a true drop camp, at least with the outfitter I guide for. The semi-guided hunters are in base camp with the guided hunters and crew so they get the benefit of a comfortable camp, camp meals cooked and direction for their hunts. A wilderness Drop camp is exactly what it sounds like, your packed in on horseback and dropped in camp for 5 days, you usually won't see a wrangler until it's pick up time unless the weather is warm and need to get meat of the mountain. But most drop camps have a minimum number of hunters to make it worth the outfitters time too. Every outfit is different that's for sure.

Pm coming

wavygravy

FNG
I did 3 years of (unsuccessful) DIY and now I'm going on my first guided hunt this fall for them. 6 in one hand, half dozen the other on costs. I want to taste success then I'll probably go back to DIY. I dont regret a single one of my hunts, but I'm tired of tag soup.

Hope you have better luck!

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I would contact Indian Summer about one of his hunt plans and/or his advice for an outfitter. Listen to him.

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
I would contact Indian Summer about one of his hunt plans and/or his advice for an outfitter. Listen to him.

Message will be sent to him, thanks again!

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
go guided and learn the sport then go back solo.

this is coming from a guy that has killed 19 solo elk since 2002.

Impressive for sure! Appreciate the advice though

I sure appreciate the nice words. I do the best job I can and my hunters sure are having a great season so far. It would be hard to explain how much I enjoy when a guy calls and says bull down in an area he has never seen. Especially if it’s his first elk hunt or if he’s done several hunts and never had any success until now. Two calls had me on the phone for 2 hours last night. I love it.

By the way Winnie... PM sent I don’t know who you are! Lol. :ROFLMAO:

That’s awesome! Those are some of the goals I have in my head of hitting for the first hunt if I was to do a DIY. If I chose guided, my goals change because the price does too. I’ve been spending a lot of time on onX for around here and fighting it out and occasionally I go out west and look around and there’s so much more to learn out there on it. Maybe I’ll shoot ya a message if I have any questions if you don’t mind. Still trying to get my toes in line but I’m going next year. I know a guided hunt might be out of question for next year though so might be forced for a DIY

I would be happy to answer any questions I can for you. I went with my son so I was gearing up and paying for licences for 2 so even a lower cost guided hunt was out of the budget for me. If it was me on my own like you indicate and could afford it. I would probably do my first trip guided because it should reduce your learning curve.

Brooks

WKR
If you’ve got the money for your first elk hunt go ahead and go with an outfitter. I see guys come out here NM every year and don’t have a clue where to hunt and I see guys come out and hire an outfitter and have a great hunt, meals cooked, place to stay, hunting with guys with knowledge of the area, help packing out, most of the time with horses. Elk hunting isn’t easy !! big, rough country, getting up at 4-4:30 days in a row and hiking all day can wear on a guy .