Am I wrong thinking this way for elk ?

Lots of different things to consider, but if this is your first backcountry hunt, I think some form of drop camp, semi-guided, or guided would be nice if you can swing it. Any of those options will reduce the need for certain pieces of gear you may have, allow you to have better meals, be better rested, etc. Some may say it allows you to have a cushy experience and takes away from the DIY aspect of the adventure, but I’m looking at it from the standpoint of taking some of the basics off of your plate so that you can have more time to be focused and hunt. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
I sure appreciate the nice words. I do the best job I can and my hunters sure are having a great season so far. It would be hard to explain how much I enjoy when a guy calls and says bull down in an area he has never seen. Especially if it’s his first elk hunt or if he’s done several hunts and never had any success until now. Two calls had me on the phone for 2 hours last night. I love it.

By the way Winnie... PM sent I don’t know who you are! Lol. :ROFLMAO:

PM sent

OP
T

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of different things to consider, but if this is your first backcountry hunt, I think some form of drop camp, semi-guided, or guided would be nice if you can swing it. Any of those options will reduce the need for certain pieces of gear you may have, allow you to have better meals, be better rested, etc. Some may say it allows you to have a cushy experience and takes away from the DIY aspect of the adventure, but I’m looking at it from the standpoint of taking some of the basics off of your plate so that you can have more time to be focused and hunt. Just a thought.

It will be my first backcountry hunt, I’ve been trying to slowly work on a gear list but I know it’s not complete yet and will need more. Appreciate the input and advice though!

If you’ve got the money for your first elk hunt go ahead and go with an outfitter. I see guys come out here NM every year and don’t have a clue where to hunt and I see guys come out and hire an outfitter and have a great hunt, meals cooked, place to stay, hunting with guys with knowledge of the area, help packing out, most of the time with horses. Elk hunting isn’t easy !! big, rough country, getting up at 4-4:30 days in a row and hiking all day can wear on a guy .

Appreciate the advice! I’ve got a decision to make soon

I would be happy to answer any questions I can for you. I went with my son so I was gearing up and paying for licences for 2 so even a lower cost guided hunt was out of the budget for me. If it was me on my own like you indicate and could afford it. I would probably do my first trip guided because it should reduce your learning curve.

PM will be coming, thanks for the input. I’m wanting my first hunt to be a learning hunt and success would be a added bonus

def90

WKR
I don’t know, I question how much you really learn on a guided hunt, I know my cousin and uncle from Wi have come out to Colorado and done guided hunts before and from the sound of it they drive you down a forest service road to where the elk are (because they have people following the herds) you get out of the truck and worse case scenario you walk a mile and then shoot a bull. Maybe there are more personalized guided hunts available but I would do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before committing to one. And, you typically have to sign up a year or two in advance, these guys get booked up fast.

Brooks

WKR
I don’t know, I question how much you really learn on a guided hunt, I know my cousin and uncle from Wi have come out to Colorado and done guided hunts before and from the sound of it they drive you down a forest service road to where the elk are (because they have people following the herds) you get out of the truck and worse case scenario you walk a mile and then shoot a bull. Maybe there are more personalized guided hunts available but I would do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before committing to one. And, you typically have to sign up a year or two in advance, these guys get booked up fa

That sounds like a ranch hunt on private property . Any guided hunt in my neck of the woods you are up at 4 and on your way to the National Forrest Hiking, glassing and calling throughout the day and guys come back plenty wore out after a few days but like I’ve said before they come back to a hot meal, shower, talk with the other guides and hunters about the day and tomorrows Hunt, sleep in a bed, have breakfast and head out hunting again. I think solo or guided are fun hunts just for most guys who have never been on a elk hunt it’s a big deal. Sleeping in a small tent during a big thunder storm wind blowing 60 mph, getting cold during the night you wake up and it’s still pouring down rain. If you’ve got the money do a lot of research on outfitters and call them. Either way have fun.

CHSD

WKR
I do not have any advice as far as weather you should hire a guide or DIY my only advice would be to just go, regardless of whether you hire a guide or not. I to am 28 years old. I have dreamed about going elk hunting for 7 years. I should have went in college but was afraid to miss to many classes. Then I started teaching and coaching so I couldn't go. Finally this year I am able to go. I regret not going in the past.

After all that my advice is do not look back in 7 years and say, "I wish I would have went when....." I am trying to not live with regrets anymore. Life is to short to live with regrets.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just go

Go with a guide if you want or go solo but don’t put it off. I went solo last year for my first trip out west and got kicked in the dick but glad I did it, learned a bunch. Had I thought about it another year and not went I would have regretted it. I can learn in OTC units and build up some knowledge and skills (and points) so if i do draw a decent tag it won’t be my first rodeo.