Amazon/China carburetors

My buddy lent me his Kawasaki Prairie 300 while he's deployed to Iraq.
She's running pretty rough. She won't pull any hills or any sort of a load. I can ride it on level ground.
She idles good but when you go to throttle she'll go if you give it a little throttle. Full throttle she bogs down ans sputters.

I pulled the carb out yesterday to put a rebuild kit in it.

Now I'm mechanically retarded. It's bad. Watching the YouTube movie I just about got it figured out. But one jet is completely stuck!!! But I was able to replace the main jet. And the the needle thingy and everything else.

A new carb is 600 bucks. But I see Amazon has China carbs for about $35. Do these work? The reviews say don't use the wires that come with it because they'll melt. But other than that they are about 4-5 stars.

Would it be worth just putting one of these in?

Also bought a new spark plug and plan to put that in today.

I don't really need a quad for my deer hunt. But if the inlaws farm roads get muddy I can't drive the truck on them. So it'd be nice to have the option to hop on a quad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Yes they work great on the small Honda engines anyway. I get them off eBay, most of those people get them shipped right out.

Dunndm

WKR
I was buying and reselling vespas and other small bikes alike… 99% of the time it was fuel lines and carbs. I know it’s not exactly what your talking about, but I replaced the carb with a cheap Amazon one every time and I never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
After sitting for 12 months in the garage without being started my Rhino 660 would only run on choke. The cheapest I could find a new Yamaha carb was nearly $600. I ordered a China Carb on Amazon for $40 and installed it with the intention of rebuilding the factory carb in the future. I installed the China carb in 30 minutes and can't believe how well the old Rhino runs! I'm still going to rebuild the factory carb but will be keeping it as a spare.

Anozira

WKR
I’ve bought countless carburetors and carb kits over the years, alot of them aftermarket Chinese carbs. I would say its really hit or miss. I’ve bought aftermarket carbs that ran, idled and performed just like OE. Then I’ve had new Chinese carbs that won’t run no matter how much you play with the air/ fuel screw etc.

I’d say if you bolt one on and it doesn’t run well from the start I wouldn’t waste much time trying to get it to run right.

Kind of late now, but a bottle of Seafoam or other such fuel system cleaner may have resolved your issues.

I’ve had pretty good luck with the after market carbs. I just rinse them out well before mounting, and replace any fuel lines. Ethanol seems to trash any cheap fuel line.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Along with most other Chinese parts, they’re very volatile. If you get one that runs good make sure you baby it, ie run premium ethanol free fuel and don’t let it sit for several months with fuel in it. Good luck!

rclouse79

WKR
It is definitely worth a try. I had a nice weedeater that would hardly run. When I heard how much a small engine shop was going to charge me to look at it I ordered a carb on amazon for $10. I am also no mechanic wizard, but I had it installed in less than half an hour. It has been running like new for a few years now.