Amazon tents

Sobrbiker

WKR
With early season right around the corner and having spent the bulk of my budget on quality boots and pack, I’m still lacking a lightweight 2p 3season tent.
Here in AZ I’m not comfortable going tarp/floorless/bivy and the money isn’t there for all the usual brands I’m learning of in the tent market.
Has anyone ran the lightweight tents available on Amazon?
I’ve got my eye on this Featherstone and it seems to be pretty much what the lower end MSR Hubba’s are for less than half the money.
Thoughts?

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
6 lb is a tad heavy for me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I guess it depends on what your plans are. If you're just using it for car camping then you'll be fine. If backpacking then ya I'd say too heavy.

Edit: I didn't catch where you said lightweight. I wouldn't consider 6 lbs lightweight.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
I know with my parameters (freestanding-AZ can be really rocky; floor-I don’t like snakes and early season is rattler city; No trekking poles-at least on this hunt; low budget) that I’m gonna have to suffer a couple extra pounds.
Weight-wise once you factor in the included footprint and cheaper stakes/poles I think this guy might be about the same weight as a hubba2p.
If I get it I’ll probably go with skinny (or gutted) paracord for ties, lighter stakes, and maybe tyvek sheet instead of footprint.
Probably gonna leave my larger tripod and run my old compact Slik, so I’ll save a couple pounds there, not sure if I’ll use my spotter as I got 12x50’s last winter.

Most likely camping by Jeep, but may spike in no more than a couple miles.

Last edited:

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of the cheap ozark trail tents from Walmart I’ll check the weight when I get home but it’s about the same weight as the tent you’re considering but for $100 less. For late season/car camping I use a kodiak canvas but that’s no where near light weight haha

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
There's gotta be somebody in AZ on craigslist looking to offload an REI or other hiking company brand tent that's a little more reputable. There's also a few companies that do rentals that I looked into back when I was going to do the boundary waters. Worth a look if you're trying to make a quality purchase next year.

IL Rifle

FNG
I found a close out 4.5 pound 2p 3season Kelly tent at Dick’s for $100 about 6 weeks ago. It’s a decent tent and fairly light. Full floor. You can reduce the weight some by not carrying all of the stakes. You’ll need one or two for the vestibule. I don’t know if any are still available, but you might check that.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
With early season right around the corner and having spent the bulk of my budget on quality boots and pack, I’m still lacking a lightweight 2p 3season tent.
Here in AZ I’m not comfortable going tarp/floorless/bivy and the money isn’t there for all the usual brands I’m learning of in the tent market.
Has anyone ran the lightweight tents available on Amazon?
I’ve got my eye on this Featherstone and it seems to be pretty much what the lower end MSR Hubba’s are for less than half the money.
Thoughts?

I got one that looks really similar under the name bessport

set it up in the backyard and unintentionally really tested it when that crazy storm came through the Midwest last week. Held up fine and was dry inside.
That said my scale weighs the whole thing at 6.4 pounds. I’m taking it backpacking but I’ll be with another person and the plan is to split up the weight between both of us.
Bessport 3-4 Person Backpacking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKVJPZY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
If your plan is to buy new stakes, paracord, and tyvek, you will save a few ounces, but are probably looking at spending an extra 50 bucks of you get good stakes, which puts you at 170. You will have a tent that is uncomfortable for two people and heavy for one person and probably not very well made. I would keep my eyes for something used or if I needed it right now and I had your budget I would probably go on stp and get a marmot Ajax 2 for 150 bucks. It is about 5 pounds, so it is not light, but it is lighter than what you are looking at and it will last a lot longer than the amazon tent.

JRMiller

WKR
I've got the 1 person River Country Trekker and I really like it. There are some negative reviews on it out there on YouTube but there are also some really positive ones. I seam sealed and silicone sprayed mine for added piece of mind. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

River Country Trekker Tent 2
Same here. In fact i have three RCP tents.
Trekker 1, 2V, and Trekker 3. Love all three.
The Trekker 3 is good for three people plus gear and is sub 5lbs for $70

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Thanks for the input folks. I’ve been scouring the classifieds (here and elsewhere) to no avail.
I’ll have the Featherstone Monday-worst case it’ll get me through early season (starts next Friday here) then I can be picky-er and the Featherstone will be for the Harley’s TourPak!

I’ll update on how it turned out. Some reviewers said side by side it looked to be the same tent as the older MSR Hubba2.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Naturehike Cloud up 2
I have one and it's really nice. Less weight than your other choice too...
bb8fbb8ea476aab05153dd11175fcde9.jpg
3627c8cc173c0729c8c93580d79f34f0.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a nature hike cloud up 2 I got one with the "4 season" rain fly tested few times really nice and light 3.8 pounds. Material seem really light but is holding up well but it is thin enough I bought a heavier tent for back up just in case