American made alternatives to the tikka ?

I could care less where it is built as I’m from Canada and the only thing that comes out of Canada is bad government decisions.

I am a fan of quality rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you’ll have to wipe ur tears with otc sheep tags.

;)

Sled

WKR
Every Remington I have bought and the one Winchester that I own has done all those things flawlessly.

i wanted remington to be a good alternative to foreign rifles but damn, how many times does one need to be screwed by a company before they learn. i was a slow learner but eventually got the message.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
No, but “fanboys” going on every thread bashing American made rifles = America Hater

If the rifle has flaws, it has flaws. Saying it has flaws doesn't make anyone an America Hater. That breeds ignorance not improvement. If you want to be exceptional, you should constantly seek improvement. I think America is an exceptional country, it doesn't mean we should be ignorant.

Anyways, I'm not exceptional. I don't get to shoot much. I don't have easy access to a range with more than 100 yards and the one with 100 yards is about an hour drive away. When I wanted to buy a rifle to hunt at distances that I'd need to if I ever get to hunt out West, I wanted something that worked. Something that worked was my number one priority as I don't have the time or money to screw around with stuff that doesn't work.

I've gotten good advice from Form when I started looking for that rifle. I went from a looking at a Montana with a VX-5HD to a Tikka with a SWFA. I saved money, and once I corrected my shooting, I was able to do shoot 10 shot groups like the one below pretty consistently. The money I saved got me more ammo and shooting time.

I needed something that worked, this does. Now I just need to find somewhere I can figure out how to shoot at longer range.

20190829_122329.jpg

20190829_122339.jpg

View attachment 131661View attachment 131662

N2TRKYS

WKR
I think our versions of “flawlessly” deviate heavily.

Two Tikkas with poor actions and trigger creep..... 👍🏻

They’ve been working everytime I’ve used them, so it’s hard to deviate very far from that.

Only one of the Tikkas still had the factory trigger. The other hadan aftermarket one.

N2TRKYS

WKR
i wanted remington to be a good alternative to foreign rifles but damn, how many times does one need to be screwed by a company before they learn. i was a slow learner but eventually got the message.

If I were in your shoes, I’d feel the same way. However, my experience has been a good one over the years.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
@Woodrow....

If you touch anything on that rifle, I’ll find you and slap you silly.

Very nicely done....

Looks like an anti-American group.

You won't need too. I was going to fix the paint after the season and try some other plastic adhering paint, but I don't even want to do that now.

I just need one in .223.

Edit to add: That gun really does just shoot like that. I have kept all the targets. It shoots that way cold to hot. And it doesn't seem to care too much about the ammo. Once I figured out I was the problem and worked to correct, everything just started getting tighter.

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
Adding a 223 would be an excellent Tikka System. Gunsdontworx will sell you the same for $20k

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Adding a 223 would be an excellent Tikka System. Gunsdontworx will sell you the same for $20k

Yeah, the .223 will make it cheaper to practice.... and after seeing some of Forms posts on the results on deer, It'll probably hunt too.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this thread was doomed from the beginning to turn into a Tikka lovefest where people are accusing each other of being anti-American. I have owned a Tikka and two Howas (one was a Vanguard). They are all good rifles. Unfortunately all are made overseas.

Tikka's quality control seems to be excellent, but you're in big trouble if you end up having a problem. Beretta customer service is non-existent, and I think that's a better reason to avoid Tikka than the fact that it's made in Finland.

Have you had a warranty issue on a Tikka? Just curious. I'm totally in the dark on their customer service.

I agree it could be a concern, but if you never need a warranty does it matter?

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a rifle, Tikka's seem to be all the rage around here and rightfully so. I'd like to buy something American made, any ideas on other rifle brands with a similar performance and price?

I understand where you are coming from seeking American made, but the here's the deal. Americans still do make the best custom mountain rifles in the world, as others have discussed above. Custom guns for custom prices, if you want to go that route. The brits make the best overall guns in the world (Purdey, Holland and Holland, Rigby), decidedly *not* mountain hunting guns and *not* affordable. Then there are American companies that outsource their guns, not because other countries are necessarily that cheap, but the US labor and overhead is so expensive. Most guns that come out of japan are quality, as is everything out of Scandinavia such as Sako. Some Turkish guns are good as well Weatherby.

To answer your question directly: Some kimbers are made in the US still, you have to check directly to find out which. Ruger and Savage have lower-rung offerings from the US. I think the one exception is christensen arms, whose standard rifles are high quality, for a fairly affordable price. Winchester is owned by a Belgian company but many Model 70 variants are made in South Carolina. You may want to consider that.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I had a warranty issue on a Sako rifle that I never was able to get resolved. Because of that, I have a grudge against Beretta. But you're right - good customer service is far less important than not needing to use it. And for what it's worth, when I got rid of the Sako, I replaced it with a Tikka in spite of my previous experience with the parent company.

However, no rifle is perfect, and people can and do have warranty issues with Tikka. I believe that Tikkas are a great modern design, and I don't doubt that they shine especially under the sort of hard use that Formidilosus describes, but they are not sent down from heaven or something. I'm sure that someday, someone (maybe even an American!) will come up with an even better design in this price range.

That's a bummer. One thing I appreciate it any company is good customer service.

I'd love for an American Company to beat a Tikka. You really got to be humble, look at the details and get it right. I think Ruger could, as they really do a good job on figuring out how to simplify manufacturing, but maybe they should focus as much on the details.

KClark

WKR
The US rifle manufacturers were stagnant for 50+ years as far as usable innovation, they concentrated on designing methods to build at less cost to them, obviously their research told them US riflemen wanted cheaper rifles not better rifles. In the late '90s niche builders sprang up trying to build a higher quality rifle on the same old technology, some were better, most are gone.

As Form has pointed out many times most of the current high end customs are pretty much all based on the 1948 Remington 721. Inovative for 1948 but based on cheap manufacturing methods not better usability. Ruger has been straying out of the box design wise and are more likely to bring out something better than a Remingchesterer 777 painted black than the rest. An Australian company reverse engineered the Tikka T3 and sells it as the Lithgow LA102, seems like a better starting point than the old tube cylinder receivers with finicky triggers.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If Ted at ARC would design a trigger specifically for ice/sand, we would be there.

16Bore

WKR
Vortex customer service is great because it has to be. Isn’t it an American company that guarantees all their Chinese products?