American made Day pack

Jmort1754

WKR
Hey y’all. I need an American made day pack for EDC. I’m over shit construction packs.
Looked at the UZ and Antero from Kifaru, Avail 22 for SG, I run an exo hunting but not sure if it’s over kill with the frame for edc.
18-3000 CI is my preference.
Ground and flight CC Nurse
Computer
Food
Uniform change.

Any suggestions?

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y’all. I need an American made day pack for EDC. I’m over shit construction packs.
Looked at the UZ and Antero from Kifaru, Avail 22 for SG, I run an exo hunting but not sure if it’s over kill with the frame for edc.
Computer
Food
Uniform change.

Any suggestions?
Take a look at Tactical Tailor. I ran their rucks for two tours in Iraq. Great stuff!

Reactions: Guy

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Shape Charge for awhile now. I really like it. Can use it with/without the belt. Have a Sherman pocket on the outside which is great to carry a pair of boots or bulky layers. I typically put lunch inside the Sherman. Outer water bottle pouches are very convenient as well. I also added a Shape Charge pocket as it compresses to nothing, but gives me the ability to expand the capacity if needed (I like this setup better than using a belt pouch on the outside). Pack works great for EDC and can easily handle an overnighter at a hotel.

RubyRize

FNG
If you’re looking at Stone Glacier, I’d recommend going with the Kiowa 3200. It cinches down great to use as a carry on/edc, but also is big enough I can bring whatever I need for day hunts

ZDR

WKR
I love Kifaru - have 4 of their packs. I also like Hill People Gear...well thought out, high quality, american made.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I dare you to find something built as good as SPEC-OPS BRAND. Super tactical looking but they are actually one of the few packs who have a real affiliation with the military. There are others but not with as many 10+ year reviews as the SPEC-OPS. Made in Texas.

wesfromky

WKR
I have been running an Antero for edc for 3.5 years now and really like it. Added a large belt pouch as well. Have the belt, but don't really use it much.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Computer
Food
Uniform change.

Any suggestions?
Check out GORUCK. Bomb proof bags, made of 1000d cordura, everything sourced and made here in the US. They're very simple, although you can order more customization. Couple of rows of molle, three pockets inside with another bit of molle in the main compartment, one slash zipper across the front. They have a laptop compartment with a false bottom so you don't bash the computer when you set it on the ground. Very comfortable shoulder strapes, again with a bit of molle. Thats it. Lifetime warranty, but you gotta get the color scheme you want when you see it, becuase they sew them in batches. Solid bags, I use it every day on patrol (cop) and I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to Afghanaland.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found the Avail to be extremely comfy w/ loads to around 35 lbs, not too shabby for a daypack; plenty of volume for very long day trips, even an overnighter w/ the right kit

it's pretty much bomber fabric/construction and has ample attachment points for skis, snowshoes, avy shovel, ice axes, etc

you can strip off the belt to use as a carryon; you can also strip off the shoulder straps (and belt) and mount just the bag it to a hauler frame

pretty darn versatile pack

+2 for looking at Goruck for an urban bag. The GR1 should be a perfect fit for what you listed and blends perfectly into the work world. Bombproof, discrete, and incredibly well organized.
Last year I picked up an Avail 2200 from Stone Glacier when I was up in Bozeman. Really well-built and thought-out, somewhat strappy but not too bad. Build is solid, interior organization is good, and if you run it without its belt it’d be a decent everyday bag.
Finally, have a look at Hill People Gear’s new Connor v2. Similar to the Avail in layout but a bit cleaner and a little slimmer, which would lend itself well to what you’re looking for.

Last edited:

Austink47

WKR
Antero with a organizer pouch is the best EDC pack I have found. I have been living out of it since this covid thing started. Liked it before love it now.

prm

WKR
I’m in the same situation. I’ve been researching edc packs, looking at designs, basically to a complete overkill degree. I’ve spent a lot of time on YouTube. The pack needs to have a reasonably professional appearance. No camo. But I really want it Made in USA, or at least not China Or any country where the low prices are because of sweatshop type labor.

Big fan of Kifaru in general, and I’d like to make an Antero work. But to not have either the organizer pocket or a built-in padded laptop sleeve at the $300 price point is a tough sell (But one I’ll consider only because made in USA). Would a chamber slider work? Only available in Coyote unfortunately. Found a video with a Tom Bihn Cache laptop sleeve that fits well. For the organization, I wish the Organization Pocket was built in where the MOLLE is located on the front, and just delete the existing plain front pocket.

GR1 is interesting. 1000D is a bit overkill in my opinion, but certainly bomb proof. Big drawback is that the GR1 is made in Vietnam. Better than China, but if I open the aperture on manufacturing to Asia there are many, many really well designed packs.

wesfromky

WKR
I haven't had an issue with Antero and laptops, but you might also check out Triple Aught Design - they are mostly made in US (double check each pack though) and are more geared toward EDC.

prm

WKR
FYI, turns out Tom Bihn packs are Made in USA (with fabric from Korea/Japan/USA). Definitely a more urban, travel focused design.

I’m in the same situation. I’ve been researching edc packs, looking at designs, basically to a complete overkill degree. I’ve spent a lot of time on YouTube. The pack needs to have a reasonably professional appearance. No camo. But I really want it Made in USA, or at least not China Or any country where the low prices are because of sweatshop type labor.

Big fan of Kifaru in general, and I’d like to make an Antero work. But to not have either the organizer pocket or a built-in padded laptop sleeve at the $300 price point is a tough sell (But one I’ll consider only because made in USA). Would a chamber slider work? Only available in Coyote unfortunately. Found a video with a Tom Bihn Cache laptop sleeve that fits well. For the organization, I wish the Organization Pocket was built in where the MOLLE is located on the front, and just delete the existing plain front pocket.

GR1 is interesting. 1000D is a bit overkill in my opinion, but certainly bomb proof. Big drawback is that the GR1 is made in Vietnam. Better than China, but if I open the aperture on manufacturing to Asia there are many, many really well designed packs.

Wow... I didn’t know Goruck moved production on the GR1 overseas. I remember when they cranked up the pricing on them but didn’t know they went to offshore production to offer it at the old price. As for the 1000D material they use, it’s surprisingly soft to the hand and to handle, and is wickedly durable. The Built in the USA tag is a big part of why I picked Goruck for my office/everyday/travel bags. I’m sure the new one is quality but it’s just... not the same in a bunch of intangible ways. The products typically wind up every bit as strong as their US-made counterparts (because they know their reputation is on the line) but they lose some of that artisan craftsmanship I’m ok paying for.

prm

WKR
Goruck moved some manufacturing last fall apparently. Not all packs, but the high volume GR1 is overseas. That disappointed me as they were on my list. I agree the quality may remain the same, but there is a price to pay in this country by moving manufacturing overseas and I just feel like I should support US manufacturing. It will cost me a few more dollars, I’m ok with that.