American made fishing gear

woods89

WKR
Long story short, I want to spend some of my stimulus check on items that at least give some economic benefit. One thing I need is a couple of new ultralight spinning combos. These would be used for smallmouth bass, panfish, and white bass in our Ozarks rivers. I like to fish but am not terribly knowledgeable on fishing gear. Any recommendations? I'd also like to purchase somewhere other than Uncle Jeff's Online Emporium......

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
You've got two options: 1. Just buy something already assembled. If it's expensive it's Japanese. If it's cheap it's Chinese or Korean.

2. Pay an American to build something with parts from Japan or China.

I'm an avid avid bass fisherman and own or have owned every piece of high end gear out there. The US as far as manufacturing isn't even in the game.

My favorite blanks are Phenix MBX, anything Rainshadow, the green painted St Croix (name escapes me but I have a couple), and NFC. Those are all made in Japan or they're made here by a Japanese company. G-Loomis just isn't very good since Gary sold to Shimano. That's why you have to buy his NFC blanks to and have it built to get a real Loomis now.

If you have any real specific questions just shoot me a PM.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Thanks to both of you.

@Mosster47 , That is kind of discouraging but unfortunately true for so many industries, it seems. I am hesitant to go the custom route because I'm afraid canoe trips and the like might be kind of hard on them. This sounds a little dumb when I think of the scratches on my custom rifle from a Colorado elk trip that don't bother me at all, though.
So maybe my best option is to buy Japanese from a local retailer?

Lawnboi

WKR
St croix rods are made in WI, atleast some of them are. I’m a fan of their avid line. Been to the factory multiple times usually end up leaving with a seconds rod.

A 6’6” st croix avid, medium light, fast action does all you want well. It’s my go to meat rod.

Lamiglass.......

Rich M

WKR
I'd just get an Ugly Stik and put a shimano on it. Set you back about $100.
You'll be hard pressed to break either - I have an Ugly Stik my dad bought me in 1976 cause I kept breaking rod tips- 44 yrs later it is as limp as a noodle but remains unbroken. LOL! And yes, I am very loyal to them for that very reason.

Oh - something else you might find fun is that you can build your own rod... That would be American assembled anyway.

For saltwater gear, the best quality stuff is still made in USA. I occasionally wrap custom rods for myself and family. I use a US made hand wrapper kit I bought from a company called http://acidrod.com/
6814F35B-6138-4D64-8860-AF31C883FBA9.jpeg
My favorite blanks are by a company called United Composites. I only have experience with their heavier salt water blanks and rods Though.
They do make freshwater stuff, and their composite/carbon fiber technology rivals anyone on the planet.

I don’t have experience with any modern light weight spinning reels, but a quick google search yielded some results.

Every Saltwater fishing rod and reel I own (scores) is made in USA. The only foreign components on any of my rods are the guides (Japanese Fuji). I do have some older freshwater gear that was made in USA and some more modern stuff that was made in Japan.

Swamp Rat

FNG
Custom isnt too bad to do. Can also keep you busy suring these times too. Mulitple companies would benefit from you building a custom rod. Factoring in a distributor like Mudhole gets many companies' products and ships them to you.

USA built rods are harder to come by unless they are on the higher end. You could always buy a non-USA made from a USA company from a local tackle shop.

I echo the avid model. The Pfluger President is a really good reel for the money. Tough, smooth and will stand up to being shoved in a pack and drug along on long hunting trips.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
Lamiglass.......

I have always used Lami for Salmon and Steelhead. The Rogue River Special is the best drift rod they've ever made IMO.

I have an Infinity that I used as my Senko specific rod and it's really good. They're all flimsy tipped and strong based which is awesome for certain techniques, but I wouldn't recommend for a do-all. That's their flagship line as well. They're basically the same carbon make up as an NRX.

The line below that (name escapes me) is much better for a do all. I have one I C-rig with and it's ok for the price. They and Dobyns use the same blank material supplier and is made in Japan for their high end stuff.

St Croix has a similar setup for their tip top rods.

One thing you need to consider is most custom builders don't have a warranty like a Loomis, St Croix, Mega Bass, etc. If you snap your custom rod when you shut the glass on your canopy you're SOL (ask me how I know that). Where if you do that with a big company they'll usually charge you a small replacement fee.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Ya, I'm a little worried about kids and car doors!
Lots to think about here. Thanks!
I'm hesitant to dig into building my own rods because I already reload my rifle ammo, put handles on knife blades, etc. Couple that with a small construction business that has not slowed down in the least and it might be tough to get it done.........

Swamp Rat

FNG
I built on a few of their blanks too. They are decent blanks but, the warranty I think makes them worth it.

dtrkyman

WKR
St. Croix, great products and even better warranty service, broke an old fly rod, sent it back and they called me the day they got it and asked if I wanted the good or bad news.

Good of course, since they no longer made that specific rod said I could get an equal alternative or upgrade to their high end rod for 100$ So they got 100$ out of me!