Ammo can wood burning stove

I know it's kinda on the heavy side . I have seen quit a few builds of the ammo can stoves but know one ever mentions how well they heat a tent.
Nor do they say what size of tent .
My question is any of you guys ever have any experience with a ammo can stoves ?
How well do they heat?

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

With any stove that size your enemy is going to be how small the firebox is. As long as you keep feeding it wood, it’ll keep the tent warm. With a stove that small, once you stop feeding it it’s over.

I’d imagine a stove that size would heat something like a cimarron, but again, don’t expect it to last longer than you’re feeding it.

You just saved me alot of money! If I can find free time I am going to try to make one. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
it does not take a lot to heat a six man tipi.
an 8 man down to 36 , maybe, [ wind dependable] would be ok - it would be worth while but you would not strip down to bare skin. a liner would help a lot.
no i dont have one.

They suck! :)

Sorry dude, I had the same idea as you but I actually ended up spending MORE money instead of saving...a $10 DIY project quickly became $70+ once I realized those big barrels of loose hardware don't exist in my city anymore, I didn't have the right grinder disks on hand, didn't already have chimney pipe on hand etc...not to mention the time spent building it. Finally finished the project, realized right away that even with good wood it burns for about 7 minutes max and bought a lite outdoors cylinder stove ASAP. Haven't looked back and the ammo can collects dust in the closet now. Kind of a fun project to pass the time on quarantine I guess but if you're looking to heat your tent and don't already have EVERYTHING you need to build it on hand I would save a bit some time and headaches and save up for a titanium box/cylinder stove. Unless you just want something to cook pancakes on when the power goes out, in that case have at er! :LOL:

qb1xGSf.jpg

Edit: also even if I had used a more backpack friendly stovepipe I still couldn't imagine packing this thing in more than about 100 yards lol.

OP
D
I figured that but hopeing I was wrong I had come across a kit you can buy to build one at a fairly decent price. You can also use a larger ammo can but like you say it's not for packing in past 100 yards . I also have a barrel type stove that when loaded I can get 3-4 hours burn time it also is heavy at 23pounds plus some of my add on's.i was just see if anyone had experience with the ammo can stoves .
Thanks for the input .

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

Glad I came and read this thread before I started building one. If you go and read the “Bushcrafter” forum sites, they act like it’s the best thing since sliced bread😂
I was going to build one just to do a little project and have something for truck camping before I break down and buy a titanium packable one this year. But that’s going to be a hard pass. I think I’m just going to order the Lite Outdoors 12”, but I’m also considering the Kifaru or Seek Outside. Guess I’m going to have to go read some reviews on them before I make my decision.

taskswap

WKR
I second the "firebox size" comments. An ammo can is just too small IMO, even the 50BMG ones (and those are very heavy). You can't fit wood of any appreciable size in there and sticks barely give you an hour's heat. You will literally not sleep, fussing with it the whole night. You could carry two dozen SuperWarmers for the same weight and be just as warm with no work. I personally wouldn't bother with anything other than the Seek (or a competitor).

When you figure your cost don't forget the "other stuff". You'll need a stove jack, at least, and those can often run $80+ depending which you get.