Ammo for 25-06, 30-06 and 270

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a few bolt action rifles (two Coopers in 25-06 and 30-06, and a Ruger American in 270) that I use primarily for deer hunting. I consider the 270 as my "son's gun", although I've used it to kill deer. I may one day use the 30-06 for elk.

Since ammo is so easily source now (😀), I decided to give my other ammo"needs" a break and to see what I can find for these three rifles. I'm looking for RS members input on what they have used successfully (understanding every shooter and rifle differs). Here's what I currently have:

1. 25-06
    • 120 gr Federal Fusion​
    • 117 gr Hornady SST Superperformance​
  2. 270
    • 130 gr Federal Fusion​
    • 130 gr bonded soft point Federal Deer Thugs (man - I wish I could still find these Deer Thugs in 30-06!)​
    • 130 gr soft point Federal​
    • 130 gr Hornady GMX Superperformance​
  3. 30-06
    • 150 gr Hornady SST Superperformance (a handful of boxes)​
    • 150 gr Federal Fusion​
    • 180 gr Hornady American Whitetail​
I'm pretty well stock on the 30-06, but have more than I (or my son) needs for the 270. I'm pretty thin on the 25-06. Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance!
Ed

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Your 270 Superformance is the only thing I would shoot at an elk.
Thanks - but maybe my post wasn't clear. I'm not asking for advice on which rifle or ammo that I have is best for elk. I've not yet delved into that research, but would *think* the 30-06 in 180 gr would be an option.

I'm looking for feedback on what has worked well for others - as far as accuracy. I realize I still have to try it out in my rifles, by me, but I'd rather get some input instead of just buying completely blind.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks - but maybe my post wasn't clear. I'm not asking for advice on which rifle or ammo that I have is best for elk. I've not yet delved into that research, but would *think* the 30-06 in 180 gr would be an option.

I'm looking for feedback on what has worked well for others - as far as accuracy. I realize I still have to try it out in my rifles, by me, but I'd rather get some input instead of just buying completely blind.

Gotcha, I thought you were looking for holes in your stash.
Barnes TTSX has been the most accurate from my rifles compared to GMX Superformance and federal copper, all in factory loads. In reality though, they have all been far more accurate than needed.

robtattoo

WKR
I can't comment on the .25 or .270, but I've always found ANY Federal factory 150gn load to be my .30-06 accuracy benchmark.
In all honestly, I can't work up a 165,168 or 180gn load, with premium bullets, that's close to the accuracy I have gotten with regular blue box 150s! After 3 years of trying & testing, i cannot match their damn load!

Drenalin

WKR
  1. 30-06
    • 150 gr Federal Fusion​
I haven't tried the Hornady SST, but my Bergara liked Federal Fusions far more than it liked 150 grain Hornady American Whitetail ammo.

I got a half hour lecture from my 70+ year old butcher about meat loss when I brought in a couple of whitetails one night, which he concluded by taking my hand, placing my finger on each animal's head, and telling me to shoot them "there." Both were shot with Fusions, one at 100 yards and one at 120 yards, and were taken cleanly behind the front shoulder, ruining only rib meat. Of course, I'm not about to start taking head shots on game, this old guy was just a riot. Point being, the Fusions are very effective on deer - which I realize isn't much of an achievement, but I saw some reviews that said otherwise when I was selecting ammo for my '06.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few bolt action rifles (two Coopers in 25-06 and 30-06, and a Ruger American in 270) that I use primarily for deer hunting. I consider the 270 as my "son's gun", although I've used it to kill deer. I may one day use the 30-06 for elk. FWIW, I'm planning on running both Coopers suppressed.

Since ammo is so easily source now (😀), I decided to give my other ammo"needs" a break and to see what I can find for these three rifles. I'm looking for RS members input on what they have used successfully (understanding every shooter and rifle differs). Here's what I currently have:

1. 25-06
    • 120 gr Federal Fusion​
  2. 270
    • 130 gr Federal Fusion​
    • 130 gr bonded soft point Federal Deer Thugs (man - I wish I could still find these Deer Thugs in 30-06!)​
  3. 30-06
    • 150 gr Federal Fusion​
I'm pretty well stock on the 30-06, but have more than I (or my son) needs for the 270. I'm pretty thin on the 25-06. Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance!
Ed
The only one I have personal experience with is the Hornady. .25-06 117 SST. Tack driver from a Rem Sendero 26 inch barrel. Devastating on GA and AL whitetails.

Storman

FNG
I have a few bolt action rifles (two Coopers in 25-06 and 30-06, and a Ruger American in 270) that I use primarily for deer hunting. I consider the 270 as my "son's gun", although I've used it to kill deer. I may one day use the 30-06 for elk. FWIW, I'm planning on running both Coopers suppressed.

1. 25-06
    • 120 gr Federal Fusion​
  2. 270
    • 130 gr Federal Fusion​
  3. 30-06
    • 150 gr Federal Fusion​
Ed
I’m a big fan of the Winchester supreme ballistic tip 168 grain for deer and elk. Problem not all rifles shoot the same with different ammo.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m a big fan of the Winchester supreme ballistic tip 168 grain for deer and elk. Problem not all rifles shoot the same with different ammo.
Thanks. Looking back at this post, I was so naive to think that I had much of a choice in buying several brands of 25-06 ammo! I did find some Hornady American Whitetail on RS, but I'm still waiting on several others to be back in stock.

EmperorMA

WKR
The SST is a devastating performer on deer. If they shot in my rifle, I'd have no problem using them!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The SST is a devastating performer on deer. If they shot in my rifle, I'd have no problem using them!
I have one box of the SST for the 25-06. I'm on the look out for more, but haven't seen any recently. I did find an online seller on Saturday that was selling some in 30-06 (although at 30% higher then when I bought it from them in '18...), so I got a handful of boxes.

What rifle do you have that didn't like the SSTs?

EmperorMA

WKR
What rifle do you have that didn't like the SSTs?
I have never had a rifle that didn't like SSTs. Some may have preferred something else a bit more (mainly because of bullet weight), but all shot the SST with acceptable accuracy.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have never had a rifle that didn't like SSTs. Some may have preferred something else a bit more (mainly because of bullet weight), but all shot the SST with acceptable accuracy.
Got it. When you said "if they shot in my rifle" I just assumed that they didn't perform well.