Ammo for "practice"?

philcox

WKR
@Formidilosus I have taken your "folks don't practice enough" to heart. I bought a new Tikka 223 and while I will use my 7PRC or 6.5CM for hunting, I am planning on getting a much trigger time as I can behind the 223. With that said, the reason I am not planning on shooting the 7 or 65 for the majority of practice is ammo cost. Thus my question ... do I need to "work up a load" for the 223, OR can I just get Factory (or bulk?) ammo and use that? I can get Fiocchi 50 round boxes running the 55g V-Max for $40, or I can get some Bulk (.223 5.56 55 GRAIN FMJ-BT) ammo from Lakeshore Ammo @ $450/1000. Reloading cost is not as big of an issue as the time to load is the biggest blocker for me.

I am guessing that your answer will be something like "you need to know what your system does. So whatever you use, you should make sure that rifle/ammo combo is at worst a 2.0 MOA off a bench or prone." So, is the 2.0 MOA a reasonable "pass if not" or should it be looser? (I am guessing tighter would be better, but not "required")

I had not seen this discussed before, so if it was, just point me to that thread.

Thanks.

Nope.

Get some decent ammo, regardless of type- varmint bullets are fine. Thats for precision/group shooting. Then, use whatever bulk ammo for positional.

Most ammo shot can be bulk/cheap.

Nope!

Get some decent ammo, regardless of type- varmint bullets are fine. Thats for precision/group shooting. Then, use whatever bulk ammo for positional.
Thanks! So the 2.0 MOA would apply to the "precision" ammo I find (I think my Fiocchi are a bit below that at 10 round groups). So have what I need from that standpoint I believe.

@Formidilosus I have taken your "folks don't practice enough" to heart. I bought a new Tikka 223 and while I will use my 7PRC or 6.5CM for hunting, I am planning on getting a much trigger time as I can behind the 223. With that said, the reason I am not planning on shooting the 7 or 65 for the majority of practice is ammo cost. Thus my question ... do I need to "work up a load" for the 223, OR can I just get Factory (or bulk?) ammo and use that? I can get Fiocchi 50 round boxes running the 55g V-Max for $40, or I can get some Bulk (.223 5.56 55 GRAIN FMJ-BT) ammo from Lakeshore Ammo @ $450/1000. Reloading cost is not as big of an issue as the time to load is the biggest blocker for me.

I am guessing that your answer will be something like "you need to know what your system does. So whatever you use, you should make sure that rifle/ammo combo is at worst a 2.0 MOA off a bench or prone." So, is the 2.0 MOA a reasonable "pass if not" or should it be looser? (I am guessing tighter would be better, but not "required")

I had not seen this discussed before, so if it was, just point me to that thread.

Thanks.
My AR shot that Fiochi 55gr V Max into this 10 shot group at 100 yards.

Bone stock S&W with a terrible trigger.

Murdochs has it on sale pretty regularly for like $38.
5cffe3f30061dbb068fe47d998ea86b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

This is the way.

If you have the tools to reload the brass is good.

Even for a picky shooter that 55 blitz king load seems to hammer in every tikka I have fired them from.

Back