Ammo for your tikka

I have a tikka t3x SL, .270. Last year I had 2 different boxes of ammo where a handful of shells wouldn’t feed in my rifle very easily. Probably a lower to mid grade ammo. Did some reading up and others have had that issue with certain ammo in their tikka as well. All I did was go through and make sure I was only picking shells that I had tested feeding. Everything worked out and I got a good buck.

Any way, I’ll be hunting with my bow mainly in my home state (WA) but pack my rifle for bear hunting and probably will on my trip to Idaho in October for deer and elk. What do you all shoot in your tikka, and have any of you had a similar issue with certain cartridges.

I have a tikka t3x SL, .270. Last year I had 2 different boxes of ammo where a handful of shells wouldn’t feed in my rifle very easily. Probably a lower to mid grade ammo. Did some reading up and others have had that issue with certain ammo in their tikka as well. All I did was go through and make sure I was only picking shells that I had tested feeding. Everything worked out and I got a good buck.

Any way, I’ll be hunting with my bow mainly in my home state (WA) but pack my rifle for bear hunting and probably will on my trip to Idaho in October for deer and elk. What do you all shoot in your tikka, and have any of you had a similar issue with certain cartridges.

Ive had no issues with Hornady GMX and Barnes ttsx factory boxed ammo in a 243 Tikka

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t consider that a feeding problem, rather a chambering issue.

I’m not the most educated on Tikkas, but haven’t heard if tight chambers are common, I know in the ones I’ve had/loaded for have not.

I would bet it’s an ammo issue. Do you have access to any other .270s that you could try to chamber the problem ammo in?

Thats where I would start.

JWP58

WKR
HSM 130gr Berger vld in my tikka .270

Mine does not like the 145gr hornady. Or anything over 130gr really.

OP
wesGiddingshunt
I wouldn’t consider that a feeding problem, rather a chambering issue.

I’m not the most educated on Tikkas, but haven’t heard if tight chambers are common, I know in the ones I’ve had/loaded for have not.

I would bet it’s an ammo issue. Do you have access to any other .270s that you could try to chamber the problem ammo in?

Thats where I would start.
Either way, just saying the ammo wouldn’t work in the rifle 🤣 I’ve read that tight chambers are common with them. And no I don’t have access to another rifle like mine. Thats why I’m asking what guys use in theirs.

OP
wesGiddingshunt
HSM 130gr Berger vld in my tikka .270

Mine does not like the 145gr hornady. Or anything over 130gr really.
Good to know that round works out. I might try it. Are you talking it doesn’t like it as far as performance or as far as accepting it period?

Tod osier

WKR
I shoot barnes ttsx vor-tx 130s in my t3 270, I haven’t had that problem with mine with any of the variously stuff I have tried. The Barnes shoot well.

Last edited:
OP
wesGiddingshunt
Hornady American whitetail. cheaper stuff. Which might be the problem. If I google the words “tikka chamber issue” or “tikka bolt close” it’s pretty obvious a lot of fellas have problems with just certain ammo. Looks like I have some good options to try out from the thread though. Thanks fellas.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Sounds like the sizing of the cases from the factory is the issue. Is that the only ammo you've had trouble with? If so, contact hornady and tell them of your issue. They'll likely send you some new ammo. Your tikka shouldn't have trouble cycling factory ammo.

I had the same issue with some federal ammo and they sent me some correctly sized ammo.

For what it's worth, I have a friend with a tikka in .270 and barnes ammo shoots well. Hand loaded barnes shoot even better...

Last edited:
OP
wesGiddingshunt
Sounds like the sizing of the cases from the factory is the issue. Is that the only ammo you've had trouble with? If so, contact hornady and tell them of your issue. They'll likely send you some new ammo. Your tikka shouldn't have trouble cycling factory ammo.

I had the same issue with some federal ammo and they sent me some correctly sized ammo.

For what it's worth, I have a friend with a tikka in .270 and barnes ammo shoots well. Hand loaded barnes shoot even better...
I’ll try the Barnes!

The bolt had to be forced closed.
I noticed this on my buddy's Tikka .270. Some factory ammo was fine, and some required a bit of force to close the bolt.

The best factory ammo I shot in that rifle (I was setting it up and load testing for him since I have a range nearby and he does not), was Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X

That stuff was very accurate, loaded easily and produced impressive velocities over my chrono. I would give it a try from your Tikka if you can get a box.

OP
wesGiddingshunt
I noticed this on my buddy's Tikka .270. Some factory ammo was fine, and some required a bit of force to close the bolt.

The best factory ammo I shot in that rifle (I was setting it up and load testing for him since I have a range nearby and he does not), was Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X

That stuff was very accurate, loaded easily and produced impressive velocities over my chrono. I would give it a try from your Tikka if you can get a box.
Nice, do you remember what bullet weight shot really well by chance?

JLW66

FNG
I have five tikkas. 7-08, 308, 22-250, 300 WSM and a 7mm RM. I have never had an issue with factory ammo. I have a had a chamber that needed to be checked on two non-Tikka factory rifles here recently. With the same issues as you were describing. Bolt not closing with out having to work it down. I sent them in and had them checked. One manufacturer said that there was nothing wrong with the chamber, but when i got it back it chambered everything just fine. ya right. Some times things go wrong, i get it. Hope it all works out for you. Tikkas are good rifles.