Ammo shortage = Increase in archery?

cnelk

WKR
Curious if the ammo/reloading shortage will create an increase in archery hunting?

Hope not, sort of. It's a double edged sword. It keeps the activity of hunting as a conservation tool alive, but will decrease everyone's "self-served" chances as a whole for opportunity by throwing it all into one basket.

It could also mean more pressure and human activity in the woods for herd management since archery tag fill rates are much lower.

I think it best for that "other" party to just leave the whole firearm control thing alone...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not sure that anyone will be able to differentiate between archery gains from ammo shortages, and archery gains from the constant exponential growth that seems to have been happening over the last several years on its own. Either way.......bowhunters will fill every campground, dispersed camping sites, and trailhead come September.

I bet it will! One of the archery shops I go to is low on arrrows and they had them order early from Covid. Funny times.

With crossbow being legal here KS and MO, I bet we see more in the fields.

Anyway happy hunting and don’t wait until fall or you might find low stock.

I doubt it will be a meaningful increase due to the shortage. Most hunters are already used to paying a premium for hunting ammo and, while it's harder to get, it's not impossible. Most already have enough ammo for a couple seasons also, even if they weren't getting ready for a shortage. If anything, the shortage might discourage a few new hunters or fair weather hunters. I'm sure there will be a few that take up archery due to it, but not in any massive numbers.

I doubt it, but it may cause an increase in the number of threads debating about caliber and ammo type...

jlh42581

WKR
Dudes are buying $100 broadheads like theyre $20 and $500 stands that do the same thing as $200 ones. Theyll buy $100 boxes of rifle ammo and never even bat an eye.

MattB

WKR
If the parking lot at the local archery range last Saturday was any indication, yes.

Rob5589

WKR
Doubt it. Kinda silly to complain about a 45 dollar box of ammo and instead go drop 1000 dollars on an archery set up. A couple boxes will last a large number of hunters 3-4 years.

I’d say it is more likely to keep some people out of the woods overall. Sure, some folks who might not have done it otherwise will turn to bow hunting for lack of ammo. But I think it is more likely hunters with no ammo or super expensive ammo will just not hunt next year. I gave 4 hunters ammo this year so they could hunt. I think next year will be even worse and people will just not go hunting.

Hard to say there is a direct relationship. Not everyone who gun hunts is a bow hunter or vice versa. It may keep people from hunting, but so far, I have been able to find ammo. However, supply and demand is everything, so if you don't have arrows.....