Ammo shortage

We normally have a very healthy supply of ammunition in this region. I've been a long time reloader my rifle shooting has not been impacted. However.....9mm ammo is sold out across the US? Or just my redneck region? Online bulk 9mm ammo supply look beat as well.

Opah

WKR
Ammo in California is a big dollar commodity, sells out as soon as it goes on the shelf.
Most Sporting goods and guns shops have started to sell reloaded ammo.
9mm, 10mm, 45 and 38/357 are prime, helps to be friends with someone working at a store.

11boo

WKR
Yeah, it’s gone. If you are desperate get on some notification list and have your CC ready when you get an in stock email. I haven’t hand loaded 9mm in forever, but I’m about to.

799B5C92-4B96-4D2E-8301-49EF0E9C2305.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
J
I shouldn't be floored....but kinda am. I've lived through the .22 shortage which I felt took 3+ years to recover. Primer shortage there for a bit, or at least for Match primers. Now....searching for 9mm ammo. I normally run Sellier and Bellot 124 FMJ. Gold plated. Helps keep things sorted in a dump pouch and was sold locally for $8.99 per 50. Found listing for $28.99 online...and it's not even in stock.

Simply wasn't too aware of the mass buy outs since COVID.

OP
J
Yeah, it’s gone. If you are desperate get on some notification list and have your CC ready when you get an in stock email. I haven’t hand loaded 9mm in forever, but I’m about to.

View attachment 197644
I've been single stage since BC. Now...I would almost guess a 550 C is waiting list. Been all over YT this week on Dillion. Should prolly snag one if I find one. Not like it won't get used.

11boo

WKR
The 550 is nice, but the little SDB will crank out a lot of 9. If I could do it all over again I would just get SDBs for pistol.

11boo

WKR
I haven’t check loading components lately since I’m stocked pretty deep there, but they will be gone quick too.

Its in short supply but if you know where to look it can be found and some for a normal price. I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm +P for a good price 1 hour ago.

Oregonboy

WKR
Not sold out but certainly scarce. I just call my local outdoor store everyday and go at lunch if they have any. I picked up two boxes of 9mm and a 800 round brick of .22 (both federal) this afternoon. I got 4 boxes of 9mm last week too.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
9mm is out there to be found but might not be the best price. A lot of places around here are charging $12-15 a box.

I stocked up pretty well 6 months ago but I enjoy shooting and want to stay sharp.

I haven't been able to find any .223 Hornady match for my AR which is a bummer. I'm down to 2 boxes and would gladly buy a case. It's hard to stop shooting steel at 400-500 yards when your hitting so easily.

I'm always surprised how many people buy lots of guns but don't keep more than a few boxes of anything particular shells around.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
It's bad where I'm at. I've seen shelves empty before (2008 election and after Sandy Hook), but even then you could find it online. Not now, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Prices are OUTRAGEOUS though. I saw 9mm Federal FMJ, 50 round boxes going for $25 the other day.....when just 5 months ago they were $9/box. Unbelievable. But I guess that's supply & demand.

Oregonboy

WKR
It's bad where I'm at. I've seen shelves empty before (2008 election and after Sandy Hook), but even then you could find it online. Not now, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Prices are OUTRAGEOUS though. I saw 9mm Federal FMJ, 50 round boxes going for $25 the other day.....when just 5 months ago they were $9/box. Unbelievable. But I guess that's supply & demand.

What part of the country are you in?

I wouldn’t expect things to calm down until we get to the other side of the election. If we end up with biden and a democratic congress there is a reasonable expectation that you could see a Federal ammo tax passed.

WCB

WKR
Shortages happen. Give it a couple months and things will cool down.

I shoot a lot of 9mm....so when prices are good, I stock up.

____

I guarantee it won't slow down until after the election which is 4 months away, and it will probably get worse the closer we get. Also, depending on which way that goes it could get even crazier.