Ammunition Recommendation for .357/.38+P for animal defense

mtmuley

WKR
Don't know if hardcasts are hard on barrels. I only carry them when in the woods and after initial grouping I don't shoot them. They are kind of spendy also. mtmuley

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah gonna take a gander at those and the 38+P loads and pick between them. Maybe take the .38s if I know there won’t be bears. Do hardcasts wreck barrels a lot faster?

I dont think they wreck barrels, if they do, Id imagine very few people shoot enough of them to do so.

Mike 338

WKR
Well, if your carrying a rifle, you really shouldn't need a handgun. Gas stations, truck stops and rest areas on the way are a different matter. For two legged predators, 38+P is nice out of a 2". It'll be fine for cats and bears too. Big Foot's... not so much.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, if your carrying a rifle, you really shouldn't need a handgun. Gas stations, truck stops and rest areas on the way are a different matter. For two legged predators, 38+P is nice out of a 2". It'll be fine for cats and bears too. Big Foot's... not so much.

That’s one school of thought. For me, I like having a sidearm when I hunt to have in the tent at night, having on me at all times (especially when butchering the animal) and for quick access when my rifle is strapped to my pack.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
and for quick access when my rifle is strapped to my pack.

That's my thoughts as well. I usually have a sidearm regardless but this is strictly for archery hunting where it's my main tool for defense.

Mike 338

WKR
That’s one school of thought. For me, I like having a sidearm when I hunt to have in the tent at night, having on me at all times (especially when butchering the animal) and for quick access when my rifle is strapped to my pack.

As an AK guy, you would have a little something extra to worry about. Numerous accounts of being freight-trained by a bear and the rifle goes flying. In your parts, I'd want a little something extra too.

For cats and black bears, a 158ish bonded or tough hollow point should work well as well or better than a heavier hardcast. And you'd be loaded for something more likely too.

Elk97

WKR
I carry the GP 100 also and use Double Tap 200 gr hard cast flat nose. My Ruger has the 4" barrel and there's significantly more recoil with the DTap than standard 38 special ammo but still controllable. Good plan to shoot them both, I'm guessing with a 2.5" barrel the 38 +P will be a good round for you. I hunt in MT and the 357 is a little small for the big bears, but I can shoot it a lot for practice and figure accuracy might (hopefully) make up for a lack of stopping power compared to a 44 mag.

Ballistics by the inch is my go to for answering these questions. here is a link for the .357 ballistics. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

I carry the S&W .357 J frame, similar sized barrel for EDC. So I have contemplated this question extensively. My advice would be to be to practice a ton with .38 ammunition at the range. Practice until you have mastery of the gun and you know what it and you can do. I'm talking about hundreds of rounds. Then practice some more from your holster.

Once you and your weapon are comfortable, Again in my opinion, any of the heavier personal defense rounds will be more than you need for any threat you will find (short of Brown Bears) I personally carry golden saber rounds, but would/will go to the buffalo bore round next purchase cycle.

The recoil and flash/bang of any of the "big boy" personal defense rounds is mighty, but when faced with a threat I really dont think you would even notice.

The threat you are most likely to face in the outdoors are two legged jackasses, probably close to your truck at the trail head. Although cats are apparently starting to be a bigger issue. All of the training, big assed bullets and the like will be completely worthless unless you can quickly and safely access your loaded and ready to go firearm and bring it to bare on the threat. Again back to my first statement, PRACTICE.

All of this is worthless unless you can get to the firearm. In a pocket of your pack is a complete waste of your time, unloaded is just as bad, a quality holster where your shooting hand can access the weapon, in a crisis, is what you should be trying to achieve.

The only time I have had to deploy and use my handgun in the backcountry was on a rattlesnake last fishing season. The nasty serpent was in a choke point along the river where my dog and wife had already passed. I didnt feel comfortable leaving it alone with the need for all of us to have to come back through the choke point. The .357 golden saber was more than enough to deal with that particular threat...